Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rule Change Suggestions for 2009

Senior Member Expert
    fred money's shuold not be the issue here.

safety.

if safety wasn't an issue then we'd let novices run in ror and in other expert classes, and gain their extra entry fee money.

Here's the deal, some racers love lapped riders (like clark) because he can navigate them effectively and use them to his advantage when someone's on his ass.

Some racers hate lapped riders, because, they aren't willing to hang it out on line like clark, they are more cautious trying to get around them and it slows their lap times way down.

again let's keep the debate for the rules meeting.
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Valid point Ben. As a lappee, believe me, it doesn't bother me to get nuked. I simply look at it as someone trying to show me a fster way around the track. And it's actually rather interesting to see how they view it by how they do it. T-Bag, believe it or not, is very methodical and leaves a set amount of space. Shannon leave more space, and waves. I enjoy the daylights out of it.
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I would like to see the class champion for a given class be invited back to race the specific class that they just won a championship for free the following year. A good incentive to bring back your class champions.

And RORU should be given the same deal as RORO.

Senior Member Expert
    This equates to a potential loss of $38,390 in registration fees for 2009.

This number figured by using current fees multiplied by the proposed eleven race season for 2009. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the bank balances of the club were reported to be approximately $1,500 at the last general meeting. Just thought you'd be interested in the economics of such a suggestion.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Explain your math, use only expert races, and don't include the extra charge for practice or endurance. WERA does it and I thought it would be cool to incorporate.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    My other rule suggestion is the ability for racers to drop a race over the course of an 11 race season.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    Explain your math, use only expert races, and don't include the extra charge for practice or endurance. WERA does it and I thought it would be cool to incorporate.
    The math was very basic, and applied to all classes. I didn't think you'd discriminate against the novice, amateur, and endurance classes. Why pay an incentive to those you know are already commited to racing a full season? This is also a worst case scenario as accounting must always identify the extent of a potential loss.

20 sprint classes @ $160 = 3,200
    4 endurance classes @ $50 = 200
    ROR surcharges per event = 90
    TOTAL PER RACE = $3,490

2009 proposed 11 race season = $38,390

Adjusting to expert only, the total figure is reduced to $27,390 based on 15 expert sprint classes. It could also potentially be reduced by those riders winning multiple classes using the registration fee structure in place. BTW, there is no longer a Saturday morning practice fee. It is included with registration of any race for the weekend.

How many classes does WERA run with this rule in place? What percentage of the overall revenue is it for the them on any given event weekend? I don't have any of the answers to these questions for the MRA, but just thought it would be a good idea to shed some light on what it might cost the club to implement such an idea. Of course we could also vote to increase the cost of everyone else's registrations to pay for it.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    My other rule suggestion is the ability for racers to drop a race over the course of an 11 race season.
    #-o ](*,)

Were you not at the riders meeting at pueblo?

It's been a few years since we've had a "every other weekend" race season. so I'm not 100% sure anyone quite remembers what it's like.

There won't be much time in the summer for keepin you grass cut at your house. And you'll be trying to continually recover monatarily on a weekly basis. the weekends you have off you'll b spending getting ready for the next weekend.

Now this is if you plan on racing for the season points championship.

I personally voted to be able to drop a race out of your points for next year, because I fully remember racing 11 race seasons and what a toll it takes on you, your wallet and your family, but, there was ridicule from the crowd on the fact that we'd even consider such a poposterous idea,of the ability to drop one race weekends points.... wtf? it could work to your advantage, mabye you could race all 11 and crash one weekend, and that's the weekend you could drop. look at it that way....

11 sets of tires = $4400
    race fuel = $1980 (15 gal. per weekend at $12/gal.) run pump gas and you could reduce this to $610 :shock:
    race entry fees = $2750
    total =$9130

That doesn't even include, food, logding, fuel for your tow rig to and from the track, oil changes for your bike, oil changes for you truck, brake pads, and all the hundreds of other dollars for ancillary stuff throughout the season. Your budget should be in the $15k-$20k range for a full successful season.

Even after 9 races this year I hear lots of people moaning about how they wish it were over, and are broke.

Im not against 11 races but, I'd like the ability to eliminate 1 weekend during the summer so I could go on vacation with my family.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Yes I was at the riders meeting....and I was down for dropping a race. I don't think that meeting was a reflection of the entire club.

Senior Member Expert
    agreed.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I just think a lot of the racers that were in or could be in the mix at the end of the year are out of it because of that one time mid year incident that kept them out of racing for a championship, or a top (?) place. I think the ability to drop a race would actually help fill the grids come the end of the year.

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Scored51
    The math was very basic, and applied to all classes. I didn't think you'd discriminate against the novice, amateur, and endurance classes. Why pay an incentive to those you know are already commited to racing a full season? This is also a worst case scenario as accounting must always identify the extent of a potential loss.

20 sprint classes @ $160 = 3,200
    4 endurance classes @ $50 = 200
    ROR surcharges per event = 90
    TOTAL PER RACE = $3,490
    This is based upon the assumption that the "free" race is the first one entered (and thus the most expensive). I'd make the "free" race the last one entered, and then it's much more likely to be a loss of $20 or $40 per sprint class rather than $160 since I bet most class champions enter more than 1 class each weekend.

So in reality it's more likely to be $400-800 loss per weekend for the sprint classes (plus endurance and ROR).

Still a decent amount of money for the club though over the season, given our financial situation.

Eric

Senior Member Expert
    with the current rulebook, novices and amateurs can't race again in their class they won the championship.....what about them?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DingleBerns
    with the current rulebook, novices and amateurs can't race again in their class they won the championship.....what about them?
    they'd get their entry fees free for one of their new classes for the following season...
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Mohammer Time! Expert

Class Structure

Class Limits

2.4.1 Paragraph 3
    STGTU class limits - Eliminate the 749 from STGTU (these things are faster than some 600's)
    Possibly make the class up to 748cc two cylinder fourstroke.

2.4.1 Paragraph 5
    Allow the 848 in RORU

thanks!

Senior Member Expert
    Here is the first of many:

I believe this suggestion would need to be an amendment to the bylaws as I do not see in the rulebook a section that outlines how officials are elected to MRA Board positions:

Election candidate requirements for MRA VP of Rules & Tech:

To be eligible for nomination for VP of Rules & Tech, candidate may not present a conflict of interest between the duties of the position and a source of financial income.

In other words:

If you own, work for, or otherwise have financial interest in a motorcycle performance speed shop, you are not eligible to run for VP of Rules & Tech.

If you distribute or service motorcycle race tires, you are not eligible to run for VP of Rules & Tech.

If any measurable source of income independent of on-track racing activities is sourced through motorcycle sales, performance, or accessories, you are not eligible to run for VP of Rules & Tech.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Section 2.4.1

Item #3.

Change:

Up to 750 cc two cylinder, four stroke (current)

to:

Up to 683 cc two cylinder, four stroke (proposed)

Let me remind you I can propose any rule change I want. If you don't like it, show up at the rules committee meeting with your reasoning and don't bother with your worn-out flame attempts here.

Senior Member Expert
    Currently Reads: Section 13- Penalties:

C. Upon entering a motorcycle in any MRA class, the rider is responsible for their
    motorcycle meeting class requirements. If at any time the entered motorcycle is
    found to be illegal for the entered class, the rider will forfeit points and monies
    earned in that class for that day, and all points earned previously that year in that
    same class.

D. Violations of technical and safety requirements judged by MRA Officials to
    gain a performance advantage will result in the rider forfeiting points and
    monies earned in that class for that day, and all points earned previously that
    year in that same class. Violations judged to not result in a performance
    advantage will results in fines and/or suspension.

Should Read: Section 12- Penalties

C. Upon entering a motorcycle in any MRA class, the rider is responsible for their
    motorcycle meeting class requirements as defined in Section 2- Class Definitions.
    If at any time the entered motorcycle is found to be illegal for the entered class,
    the rider will forfeit points and monies earned in that class for that day, and all
    points earned previously that year in that same class.

D. Violations of technical and safety requirements as defined in Section 6- Technical
    Inspection
    judged by MRA Officials to gain a performance advantage will result in
    the rider forfeiting points and monies earned in that class for that day, and all points
    earned previously that year in that same class. Violations judged to not result in a
    performance advantage will results in fines and/or suspension.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    Section 2.2.2

Section F

Item 14:

Currently:

Modifications are permitted as follows:
    a. Ignition timing may be altered by slotting ignition trigger
    mounting plate or replacing stock ignition rotor with an aftermarket
    rotor.
    b. Spark plugs and plug wires may be replaced with after-market
    parts.
    c. The rev limiting system must be in proper working order.
    d. Electric ignition cutout shift devices are permitted. These devices may
    not physically operate the shift lever or shifting mechanism.

Proposed:

Modifications are permitted as follows:
    a. Ignition timing may be altered by slotting ignition trigger
    mounting plate or replacing stock ignition rotor with an aftermarket
    rotor.
    b. Spark plugs and plug wires may be replaced with after-market
    parts.
    c. The rev limiting system must be in proper working order.
    d. Electric ignition cutout shift devices are permitted. These devices may
    not physically operate the shift lever or shifting mechanism.

e. Electronic devices capable of dynamic rev-limiting or ignition cut out external to the OEM ECU are NOT PERMITTED.

Senior Member Expert
    Section 2.2.2

Suggest the following:

Supersport machines must utilize OEM Engine Control Unit manufactured specifically for machine make and model. Aftermarket ECUs are not permitted in Supersport.

Senior Member Expert

Current:

Motorcycle must meet track sound level regulations. A motorcycle not meeting
    sound level regulations will not be allowed to continue until that motorcycle
    meets required sound levels.

Suggest:

First, we must define decibel rating requirements, and measuring method:

"As measured at start finish at a distance of no more than <n> feet"

Then:

Motorcycle must meet track sound level regulations. A motorcycle not meeting sound level regulations will not be allowed to continue until that motorcycle meets required sound levels, and will forfeit all purse, contingency, and points earned in class when violation occurred. If violation occurs during a practice, competitor is required to pay a $50 fine and required to prove changes have been made before continuing.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoSix
    Section 2.4.1

Item #3.

Change:

to:

Let me remind you I can propose any rule change I want. If you don't like it, show up at the rules committee meeting with your reasoning and don't bother with your worn-out flame attempts here.
    Hey Dave,

Can I bring an "all new and improved" flame attempt?

Scott

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by scott72673
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoSix
    Section 2.4.1

Item #3.

Change:

to:

Hey Dave,

Can I bring an "all new and improved" flame attempt?

Scott
    Absolutely!!! 8)

Senior Member Expert
    Propose adding a new class definition:

SuperTwins GTL

• Up to 677 cc two cylinder, four stroke
    • Unlimited displacement & configuration single cylinder
    • Unlimited displacement, two cylinder, two valves per cylinder, air cooled

Mohammer Time! Expert
    why 673CC