Yipee -- time to pick on Clarkie

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
I have a 12 year old set of Pirelli 'DOT Rains' so I dont care if the rule gets changed or not
Hmm... the same ones that Yves used at Daytona?
... the problem lies in that a couple of manufacturers make 'DOT Rains' and as per the rules you cannot ban them, so if you want 'fair' racing you really need to either open the rules up to allow full rains or just never race in the wet (which i think is a bad thing to do)
So if a couple of manufacturers make DOT Rains (like MT-60R) why do we have to open up the rules to allow full rains? There's no rule that says you can't use two different manufacturer's tires. You guys with contracts have a problem - but us normal folks can pick whatever works best for the conditions.
I dont agree with the idea that if everyone is on DOT race tires it is safer than if everyone was on full rains, you can claim the speeds are slower etc etc and on paper it may work out but in reality it doesnt work that way.
I wouldn't argue that the DOTs are safer - mostly because I think the contention of one being safer than the other is hogwash. Safety is about predictable grip, not absolute grip. Otherwise flat track racing wouldn't be safe.
It's supposed to be a race not a parade, rigth now people just do a couple of laps and pull off to get points or just ride around hoping they wont fall off, sorry but to me that's not a race
I don't understand why allowing full rains would change that. People will still go slow and pull off early.