Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
So if a couple of manufacturers make DOT Rains (like MT-60R) why do we have to open up the rules to allow full rains? There's no rule that says you can't use two different manufacturer's tires. You guys with contracts have a problem - but us normal folks can pick whatever works best for the conditions.
And yet if we allow full rains EVERYONE will have a choice of rain tire, not just those who dont have a tire deal, and there are a lot of people in the paddock that have tire deals with Michelin/Dunlop/Pirelli/Bridgestone :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
I don't understand why allowing full rains would change that. People will still go slow and pull off early.
how do you know, people have never been able to use rains in a DOT race so at best it is speculation on your part

If I wanted to ride in a parade I would buy a v-twin.... (sorry Jim couldnt resist :lol: ) So if you are saying there wont be adifference between dot's and full rains in a rain race (that has been declared a 'wet race' by the track marshall), why not give us the choice of what tire we run?

There is a myth that rain tires are more expensive than any other tire and once they are used they are too be thrown away, my rain tires are a set Scott gave me that had a full Superbike race on them from Road America last year. Most racers that have a set of rains aren't worried about when they were built, buy one set and they are good for many years.

If you want to ride around at 80% in the wet there is less chance of crashing on rains compared to DOT's, crash damage can add up to a lot ore than a set of rain tires.

Obviously this can go round and round and both sides have good arguments, and it will be a good reason to turn up and vote at the rules meeting 8)