Quote Originally Posted by kangsoh
For what it's worth guys, I can tell you that we're (an oil and gas company) not making the $130-$140 per bbl that everyone's up at arms about. We (and most everyone else) "hedges" production way in advance- which means that anything coming out of the ground today, has more than likely already been sold at an agreed upon price way in advance. So, depending on what our contract negotiators (as well as negotiators for refiners such as BP, Exxon, Shell, etc..) set up contracts for in advance, the reality could be that we're making far less than what a barrel of oil is going for on the open market. As I was told by our contact negotiator, anyone who thought that oil was going to be this high 6mos to a year ago is either clairvoyant or knew something that everyone else didn't at that time. This price paid per barrel also doesn't account for production costs, which as companies are forced to go to further extremes (deeper reservoirs, more inaccessible locations, refining of more "dirty"/heavy oil) cut into that profit as well. Conspiracy theories regarding price gouging on the part of "big oil" aside, it all comes down to supply and demand, as well as simple business economics. If we didn't need/want that much oil, then it wouldn't be an issue, would it? I'll tell the guys offshore when I'm out there next to step up production a bit next time and that should take care of our problem....

Oh, and "hi" to everyone that I haven't talked to/seen in awhile. Hope you all are doing well...

Its not supply and demand... Thats putting it far to simple.... Supply and demand is how much I pay for my Ipod....

If Id pay 1K for an Ipod... the price would be 1K... However I wont so they make it 199 (for example) but I dont NEED my Ipod and I have the choice to pay 1K or not... I dont have that luxury for gas or food..... At that point supply and demand becomes a 101 prionciple and extortion becomes thae main principle......

Secondly: We dont feel sorry for an oil company that says.. "the reality could be that we're making far less than what a barrel of oil is going for on the open market" because the end result is still a bagillion dollars profit and the CEO driving a Ferrari (ON Tuesday) and the Lambo on Wed..... The actual real life world we live in is that more often than not the company is making MORE than its going for on the open market....

As long as we give the main fuel of the earth to a private owner.. this will never end.... With out regulation, when oil is gone it will happen again wiht the next alternative fuel... I guess Ben in reality was right.. Its our fault if we allow ourselves to repeave our faults and allow it to happen again.... Once bitten shame on your.. twice bitten, shame on us.....