Thread: high pressure radiator cap

glenngsxr

high pressure radiator cap

Does anyone know where I could get a high pressure radiator cap that would fit a 2001 gsxr 600? Glenn #353

Senior Member Expert
    I would not suggest putting anything higher than a 1.1 on your bike. If you are boiling over with the stock cap, maybe it is time to see what the real problem is before things get really expensive.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    I agree. I have an 01 600, stock cooling system. Only issue I've had yet was at PPIR when it did get toasty (a lot of bikes did), but I'm due for a fluid change anyway and my radiator fins have seen better days.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

glenngsxr
    cool, thanks gents. I wasn't sure if it was just my bike having problems or what. Somebody had mentioned that it would help a lot. What's the physics behind a stronger radiator cap. Glenn #353

Senior Member Expert
    if you are having big problems with boiling over (not just running hot), I am willing to bet you have some head gasket issues. I chased those on my Ducati's for a while...

Even built motors at this altitude should be able to keep their water down. That is not to say that things don't run hot up here - but running at 210-215 is different than not being able to make it 8 laps without filling up the catch can.

There are a few different ways to find a blown head gasket - if you have bubbles in your radiator while the bike is cool (and running), that is the most obvious sign. If you are filling up your catch can after just about every session, that is a less obvious but just as common tell tale sign. I am sure Bart can give you a few more things to look for.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Blown head gaskets also usually result in oil or coolant (or both) being contaminated with the other. Oil will look milky or frothy in the sight glass, whereas coolant generally gets brown and nasty looking (basically colored differently than what you put in there). You can also do a leakdown test on the cylinders if you have the gauge, but fluid contamination almost always happens with a blown head gasket IIRC.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

glenngsxr
    Speaking of blown head gaskets. I changed the oil after the second practice on Monday morning and after I came back in the oil looked old already. I couldn't tell if it was milky or not, but it was definitely not the gold color it should be. Glenn #353