Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't we follow our rulebook???

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    so if i run my big bore motor in SS and get caught I just get a $50 fine? sweet!
    I know you're joking, but I'll answer anyway! Nope, not a fine here. The difference lies in the "gain a performance advantage" clause I quoted earlier.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    dammit..........I mean thankyou for saving me my an asswhipping I would never live down

and yeah, joking

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    I know you're joking, but I'll answer anyway! Nope, not a fine here. The difference lies in the "gain a performance advantage" clause I quoted earlier.
    So performance gain falls to the tech/board then? Again (extreme) slicks vs dots... a lot of people dont think its a perfomance gain, yet it is clearly illegal for SS, and there is NO WAY someone could get by running them in a SS class because it is clearly written in the rulebook.

Once again, the rule is stated clearly... there is an infraction to the rule, and here is the punishment. The performance gain or not is 100% moot. IMO that rule in the penalty section is not a rule to choose over the removal of points.. but an ADDITIONAL fine that can be placed by the club, not a this or that.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Junior Member Novice
    well since it was annnounced saturday after the races that "the tear down will be a public event, riders feel free to come and check out the bikes." we can just throw this harry potter "he who shall not be named" nonsense out the door. My name is Dalton Dimick and i rode the silver r6 with the "illegal" crankcase catchcan.

Am i a cheater?? NO! Did i know that the crankcase catchcan was performance enhancing?? NO! is it? no! its a catchcan.

oh and WEED are ready for this?? we had 4 hours from the time the mwss race concluded to the time the tear down began. if we had thought we were cheating at all we would have removed the catchcan! we didnt think we were therefore there it was for everybody to see in the tear down. Hell if i wanted to cheat i might as well have thrown on slicks, mag wheels, and a sbk kit before the race. i mean we would have had 4 hours to swap everything back to stock right? and if your gonna cheat, you might as well cheat big!

Ive been racing AMA Supermoto the past 4 years and it is required to have a catchcan for that hose. WE MADE A MISTAKE we realize that and we are sorry. but it was an honest mistake and NO we are not cheaters.

I came into this season with one goal, and that was to try and figure out how the hell to drag a knee, and maybe an elbow :lol:. having to start on the last row the first few races, a championship, and series points were never a concern for me. like i said im racing this club to try and meet some new people and learn this extremely fun sport. therefore if i am not in it for points, why would i disrespect a club that my family has been a part of for nearly 30 years, by trying to pull a quicky and cheat. I WOULDNT! We were simply confused with the rule book because there is a bit of a grey area concerning the situation. The right thing to do would have been to confront a board member about the sit. prior to the event which we did not because like i said, we didnt know it was cheating.

I met alot of cool, welcoming, friendly racers this weekend (ara, tittle, dragos... just to name a few) and to be honest Weed i dont believe you and i have ever met :? so how is it that you are so positive that im this POS cheater that your making me out to be on this forum?? you know nothing about me.

so from one stranger to the another here is a piece of advice... Twist the throttle a little harder next time your out there and you wont have to worry about us "cheaters" beating you!

dalton
    Sponsors: Tri City Cycle, A.C.E.S.,Ogio, Graves Motorsports, Spy Optics, Hart and Huntington Clothing, One Industries, VC Graphix, American Supercamp, michelin , Lockhart Phillips, chicken hawk racing, redline oil, sharkskinz, shift, arai, vortex

Senior Member Expert
    As Jason said, as the rulebook reads it is not a pick one or the other. It is black and white and plain as day that 13.C (loss of points) will be applied if an infraction is found period. So as our rulebook reads and should be followed points for the season should be taken away. Is it harsh? Yes. Is it too much? Maybe. Is it the right punishment according to our rulebook? Yes. If loss of points was not meant to be a definite if you are found to be illegal then there would only be a section 13.D and 13.C would not exist. If you don't like how it is written and you think 13.C should not exist then we should talk about changing it at the end of the season but as it sits now the board needs to have some backbone and follow our rulebook and enforce this punishment due to it is our rules. Or else lets just burn the rulebook and have a free for all. ](*,)
    MRA #626
    DARC Racing
    Bridgestone Tires
    Factory Trained Auto Repair

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dimick27
    so from one stranger to the another here is a piece of advice... Twist the throttle a little harder next time your out there and you wont have to worry about us "cheaters" beating you!

dalton
    OH no you didnt! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dalton stop sticking your foot out, then you can tell someone to twist the throttle harder! :lol:

if dalton got his points taken away for running a catch can. i promise that if you would of told him before that weekend that it was illegal and he was going to get in trouble. he would of had no problem fixing it.
    Benny Tozzi #78
    Tri City Cycle
    Check out Dave@SingleTrackMind for your suspension needs!
    www.fixmybike.com

www.getwellclarkie.com

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Lel399
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    even though there is a clear cut rule what you can and CANNOT do
    There is? The air tubes conforming or not is subjective, as I pointed out earlier, and the crankcase vent isn't directly addressed in the book, but falls under the heading of "things that aren't on the list of approved changes". The difference is subtle, yes, but you make it sound a lot more black and white. The rulebook also doesn't specifically allow non-OEM valve stems, should we start DQ'ing people for those as well? If someone is using titanium stems, it could be considered an advantage. What about nitrogen in the tires? I don't know of any factory that does that, yet many feel there is an advantage to be had. Writing a rule book that addresses everything that CAN'T be done is a monumental task, having one (like ours) that lists only the things that CAN be done leaves you the ability to enforce some pretty silly "infractions". I bet if I look hard enough I could find something on every single bike that isn't on the "allowed list".

Should there be some discression in the point of removing all points, or just points from that weekend, I think so. I do not think it would be right to remove all points for the season, but absolutely right to DQ them from that weekends results
    So you agree that there should be discretion, you just disagree with the end result. That's fine, everybody is entitled to an opinion. But you aren't among the people the club elected whose opinions determine the decision.

Also defining a performance gain is complete and utter BS. There are so many opinions on what is a performance gain or not, sample 100 guys, 50 might say one thing, 50 might say another etc. What about a slipper clutch now? Can you definatively prove that it gives a peformance gain? What about slicks? I am willing to bet there are just as many guys ou there that will say slicks dont make a bit of difference over new race dot's.

At what point is the infraction changed from 'minor' to something that we DQ points? As clarkie said, now can he run his bigbore motor in SS? I am sure that would save him a lot of time changing motors! :twisted:
    At the point your officials determine, that's why we were elected. If you want to try to completely remove our discretion and attempt to write a rule that covers every possible situation and what the proper penalty should be for each infraction, you are insulting the people you appoint.

In my view, this is what it boils down to - I have yet to talk to anyone who feels that following the exact letter of our rulebook (which would have resulted in all three riders being DQ'd and losing all their supersport points year-to-date) would have been a "just" punishment. So, the dissatisfaction isn't so much that we deviated from the book, it's with HOW FAR we deviated. It was a judgment decision. I'm completely NOT being a smartass when I say that if you want your judgment to supersede ours then you need to run for the board in November. If you're simply unhappy with the decision, then you need to vote for someone else. Again, I'm not trying to be flip, that's simply the way it works.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    As clarkie said, now can he run his bigbore motor in SS? I am sure that would save him a lot of time changing motors! :twisted:
    I can swap a motor in 1 1/2 hours............. i would be running from my wife for way longer than that :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
    the board needs to have some backbone and follow our rulebook and enforce this punishment due to it is our rules.
    As I said, Chris, I bet I can find something on EVERY bike that isn't OEM, and isn't on the "allowed list" - even yours. It may be something as ridiculous as a hose clamp...or a video system...so do you REALLY want to remove our discretion to say "that's OK", or "that doesn't warrant a complete DQ for the season"?
    The GECCO

Junior Member Novice
    weed i agree with your last comment. fwiw i did not get down on my knees and beg to keep my position and just pay the fine, because like i stated before im not here to take anybodies money or get in the way of their points. i simply want to race. its my first year and im not here to make enemies. that is just the penalty that the board offered me.

sorry about my last post too i just got a little tied up in the moment, all i ask is that you dont assume things about a person without ever shaking their hand and meeting them in person. im sure your a nice guy and i understand why you would be heated about the subject. i understand i broke the rules and am willing to pay the penalty. but i am not a cheater and was not trying to cheat.
    Sponsors: Tri City Cycle, A.C.E.S.,Ogio, Graves Motorsports, Spy Optics, Hart and Huntington Clothing, One Industries, VC Graphix, American Supercamp, michelin , Lockhart Phillips, chicken hawk racing, redline oil, sharkskinz, shift, arai, vortex

Senior Member Expert
    Dalton, I apologize for the cheater comments. What I meant to say was illegal bikes. Just so you know in no way am I trying to attack you personally. I don't know you at all. You just happen to be a part of this thing even if you had no idea about any of it before this weekend. I'm sorry you are involved. This is why I read the rulebook at the beginning of every season just for the hell of it to make sure I don't get caught with my pants down.

Just so you all know I spoke to a minimum of 20 people about this during the weekend and all were confused like myself. I just don't have a problem with bringing this stuff up cause when the next race comes I will say hi to everybody as if it never happened and I honestly won't give a crap about the last race. I bring these things up so we can get a good understanding of what is going on so this stuff doesn't happen again. This is not the first time I have been through this. Last season there was a similar situation involving a red flag rule and guess what, the rule was made more clear with a rule change at the end of the season. Maybe that needs to happen again.

On a side note Glenn. I no longer have camera's on the bike. They were all removed by force in turn 13 at hastings and I didn't feel like putting them back on. :wink:

So everybody enjoy the can I opened up and I will see you all with a smile next race.
    MRA #626
    DARC Racing
    Bridgestone Tires
    Factory Trained Auto Repair

Senior Member Expert
    just some more food for thought...

Section 2.2
    .... "Supersport motorcycles must meet the following requirements in addition to the requirements in Section 5 - Technical and Safety Requirements...... "

Section 5.2.Q
    All engines must have oil breather line(s) returning to the air box or an alternantive heat reistant catch tank of at least 12-ounce capacity (no glass, thin plastic, or paper). The inlet line must be securely fastened and the catch tank adequately vented to avoid pressurization. Alternatively, production-based motorcycles may vent the oil breather(s) to the air box with plugged drains.

The way I read that... Dalton did nothing wrong.... ? :?: :?
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    nm
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    The way I read that... Dalton did nothing wrong.... ? :?: :?
    Section 5 is not specific to SS legality, it deals with general safety requirements. ALL bikes must meet the requirements in section 5 for safety reasons, SS bikes must also meet SS specs for class legality.
    The GECCO

Senior Member Expert
    Being called a cheater is not nice.

Being a previous board member, and the tech inspector, I guess I should be held to a higher level of scrutiny.

Well I did hold myself to the highest level this weekend...

Well how so you you ask?

Saturday morning(before the supersport race), someone was milling around my pits B.S.ing with another rider.

He was looking at my bike and noticed my air ducts. He was a very informed person and has a good interpetation of the rulebook and said, hey those airducts are carbon fiber and are not legal...

So I got out a rule book and interpeted the rule as the only thing that was questionable was the sizing of the airducts.

So bear this in mind, I help ray with the tech in the mornings this year. And I already knew that there was going to be teardowns this weekend long before anyone else here did.

I easily could have removed the ducts before the SS race. But I didn't

I knew for fact that the person who was in my pits rasing hell about my airducts, was going to say something and did say something about them to someone on the board.

I was fully ready to accept any penalty handed down to me. So I raced the supersport race in the exact form I have been racing it in all year long.

I knew that the after rereading the rule on the ducts that the shape of mine were not the exact form of stock but the rule states that aftermarket ones are allowed. So I was going to let the cards fall where they may. And take whatever penalty was coming to me.

If I was trying to hide something, if I was trying to CHEAT, all I had to do was remove them before the race that day. I didn't. I left them on there knowing full well what was coming at the end of the day and I even recomended a higher monatary fine when I was told that it was going to be $50.

My intent with my airducts was not to gain an advantage, but for ease of use with the bodywork, and plus they look cool. The stock ducts are pieces of shit. they don't mate up to my bodywork at all and fall out. The first time I tried the stock ones I had to go pick the up at the end of turn one at pueblo.

At this time, I am going to voice some stuff about supersport:

The supersport rules IMO have been slowly getting molested over the past 10 years I have seen in the club.

Over the years I have seen people submit rule changes for supersport allowing "special parts" and rallying up their friends to come to rules meetings to help vote in the rules for "special parts". I won't go into the fact that there is a profit to be made on selling these parts and installing them on bikes, and this is one motivation for the allowance of them.

The board reviews and has final say on what rules are adopted but, I can tell you this if 10 people out of 12 vote for a rule change at a rules meeting it definately can have an impact on how the board views a rule and if it is adopted.

Let me put it this way to you and give you something to think about:

I can put over $1500 worth of kit ecu, harness, etc... bullshit on my supersport bike.

I can put a $1000+ traction control system on my supersport bike.

I can mill the head for $300+ on my supersport bike

I can use a $150 "kit" head gasket on my supersport bike.

I can do a $250-$750 "supersport" valve job that can include some questionable valve throat entry porting on my supersport bike

I can put questionably "stock" conforming bodywork" on my supersport bike.

I can put questionable "kit" engine parts in my supersport motor for $xxx

I can run $30+ a gallon race fuel in my supersport bike.

I can put $1500 cartridges "complete" ohlins interanls in my supersport forks

But:

I can't modify the crankcase breather for $9

I can't put $149 aftermarket airducts on.

Give me an effen break!

I know rules are rules and ment to be followed, and I fully didn't understand a rule regarding the sizing of an airduct and should be and was penalized for it.

Was it my intent to cheat? No effen way! And if it was do why would I do something blatant right out in the open? WTF? If I was going to cheat, I'd do something that was going to make a shit bit of difference in HP like a Big bore kit, or stroker crank, or kit cams, there's been plenty of those parts in SS motors in the past that have collected SS contingency money...

I will be submitting my suggestions for a supersport rules revamp and the end of this year.
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    It isnt the fine for this situation, but the precident that if its outside of tech specs for supersport, its only $50 bucks. Not fair to those that do it 'by the book' if the board isnt going 'by the book'
    It doesn't set a precedent of anything "outside of tech specs for SS, it's only $50", it sets the precedent that the board, or more specifically, the VP of R&T with input from the board, will determine the appropriate penalties for infractions on a case-by-case basis. Does the book say "will" where (in my opinion) it should say "may"? Yes, it does. Was the significance of that one word debated, or even considered, when it was written? I can't say for sure. I can say that tossing these three riders points year-to-date for these infractions could be described as draconian at best.
    The GECCO

Senior Member Amateur
    I think the entire process needs a strong once over. Why the hell do people know when there are going to be teardowns anyway? In my opinion no body should know except the tech inspector where and when they are coming. Somebody could be running illegal parts up to the weekend when the teardowns are going to happen then take them out or not even show up for the race that weekend.

There are 2 ways to go about fixing this problem. 1 only the tech inspector knows when and where it happens. 2 do a lottery drawing every weekend after the race. Everbodies number that races goes into a hat and after the race you draw out 5 numbers and they get torn down. Then you would never know when it was going to be your time so people would have to remain legal all the time.

I used to run supersport but have stopped because I bought a slipper clutch for my bike. It doesn't come with one and my own mind wouldn't let me run it anyway so I stopped. I have had several people tell me to run it anyway noing I may never finish top 5 anyway. I could do that but choose to play by the rules. I even had a person tell me to put in the slipper and they would warn me before the race weekend and I could pull it out. This is bull***. Lets try to make some changes to the system so it can work more fairly.

Just my 2 cents
    mra #115
    07 CBR 600 RR
    09 Ninja 250

Senior Member Expert
    Matt, I am the tech assistant....I have been helping ray, it's my job...why wouldn't I know?

And for shit's sake, do you really think I'm cheating, finishing 5th out of 8 total people people on the grid? because I am privy to info your not?

Again, give me an effen break!!

Don't talk to me about keeping this all secret and "no one should know nothing", crap.

I don't think you have enough past experience with the MRA here to know full well what your talking about, when you say the only person who should know anything is the tech director.

Bart was tech director for years and had a shop in denver that has built 3/4 of the shit racing in the MRA. Now that's a conflict of interest if I ever heard of one.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cosp600rr
    Somebody could be running illegal parts up to the weekend when the teardowns are going to happen then take them out or not even show up for the race that weekend.
    This would never happen.

Ever.

I mean, no one would ever ride a 4 year old clapped out 600 instead of one of their 3 different GSBRRs at Pikes Puke just to avoid a well hidden (publicized) tear down.

Never. Not in a million years.

( BTW: Ben is not a cheater. He may be many things, but he is not a cheater. )
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Amateur
    Ben........... slight missunderstanding here. I was not talking about you in general. My post just happened to come after yours. I was thinking about this at the races because I know about them before they happened. I am just a racer who doesn't really know or talk to that many board members. I don't even race supersport anymore and heard it was going to happen. It was all out before the races even started. I didn't mean for you to take it that way. Of coarse you should know if you are helping the tech inspector,but only you and him. no body else should know.

Did we have any races that normally run supersport classes and finish pretty well that didn't show up for the races on sat? I have no Idea but I am sure it happenes. Thats all I am saying Ben. Not pionting any fingers at you.
    mra #115
    07 CBR 600 RR
    09 Ninja 250

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoSix
    Somebody could be running illegal parts up to the weekend when the teardowns are going to happen then take them out or not even show up for the race that weekend.
    This would never happen.

Ever.

I mean, no one would ever ride a 4 year old clapped out 600 instead of one of their 3 different GSBRRs at Pikes Puke just to avoid a well hidden (publicized) tear down.

I remember that incident... Probably not many people here know what your talking about. The conflict of interest scenario i mentioned above, may be too much information.....woops, oh darn, oh well...
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Weed wrote:

Why go through that much effort? The simple answer is whether or not the person who did this did or did not get an advantage, they sure thought they were going to get one with this set up and that is why they ran it that way. Why else would you go through that much effort. So in conclusion this person is a cheater and cheated on purpose to try and get an advantage.

By the way weed, it was Danny anderson and myself that had unconforming airducts.

And another argument in Daltons defense is, The Dimick's are supermoto racers....one of the first thing you do on a supermoto bike to comply to rules is route all your vent lines(fuel, crankcase, etc..) into a canister.

So this was more than likely their intent with their mod on their bike.

Your rushing to a "cheater" judgement is unfounded and without research.

I'm dissapointed in your above quote.

Danny and I are both in agreeance, as well as any other R1 rider, ask josh graham, that the stock ducts don't fit race body work. The intent of aftermarket ducts was to eliminate uneeded crap that doesn't work right. The only "advantage" I was looking for was to save myself some wear and tear on my shoes from walking around the track picking up airducts that fall out"

If there's a racer out there that really thinks he's going to improve his finishing position in a race by adding a Crankcase breather mod, or different air ducts, then he'd better look up the phone number for Ricky Orlando, or Mark Schellinger and take some riding lessons. I don't think Dalton Danny or myself fall into this category.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoSix
    This would never happen.

Ever.

I remember that incident... Probably not many people here know what your talking about. The conflict of interest scenario i mentioned above, may be too much information.....woops, oh darn, oh well...
    The above rider in question told me at the start of this year (when he decided to come out of retirement) exactly how bad he cheated and for how long and laughed about it, i asked why he would cheat as he would probably have won on a legal bike..... he said "hey they (the shop/s he rode for) built it for me so I rode it" which is a BS excuse. he also said he would get a phone call a week before the teardowns saying what was going to be looked at in tech and to remove it if possible, if it wasnt removable find another bike... (see above)

This person made a LOT of money and built his reputation as a 'Multi-year Club Racing Champion' cheating every weekend, to me he will always just be a 'Multi-year Club Racing CHEATER' even though I like the guy.

And people wonder why i have trust issues with certain people/shops in Colorado :roll:

Senior Member Expert
    I ran out of popcorn.. Anyone got any Gummy Bears of Jujubees ??

Senior Member Expert
    Obviously this topic will be covered at the next board meeting. This thread has been a good discussion but since it has gone off topic into finger pointing I'm going to lock it up now.
    The GECCO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12