Thread: how to safety wire brake connections

Senior Member Amateur

how to safety wire brake connections

How do I safety wire the bolts too hard to drill through? I've gone through 3 bits, 2 drill batteries and 1.5 hours of solid drill spinning time to get 1/3 through the bolts holding the front brake lines. I got the hardest bit available for hardened steel and the bits just wear out.

These bolts have a groove cut on each side so I just ran safety wire around it, flattened the wire on each side of the bolt and it's tight. But I doubt it will pass tech.

What did you guys use? Any pics?

Thanks!

Senior Member Amateur
    Did you use oil when you were drilling?

And it does not sound as though that wiring method will pass tech.
    Chris

"Adrenaline has blocked my fiscal sensibility."

Quote Originally Posted by turbohoje
    i gather you will be attending the Shellinger Institute of Conquest this summer.

Senior Member Amateur
    I finally found a bit that would drill through. I used oil, went slowly, just didn't have a drill press. I was using bits from Ace that wore down faster than the bolt I was drilling. So it seemed I was always making progress but the bits were just getting shorter.

I think I finally have all of them drilled. I guess I'll find out at tech...

have you tried using a center punch? it will help hold the bit in place when you first start drilling. also, are the bolts still on the bike or can you take them out and put them in a vice
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    What bolts are you drilling? The banjo bolts? If so, we don't have a rule that says you need to wire them - although some other clubs do.

Now that I look at it, I can understand where there might be some confusion since 5.2.U. says "anything which drains fluid when removed".. but the banjo bolts aren't mentioned in 6.2.3. (I'll fix that for next year)

So, it's up to Ray, but over the past few years we haven't been requiring brake line banjo bolt wiring. In fact, there are some line/caliper setups where that wouldn't be possible (like the monoblock brembos on my Ape).

If you're trying to do the caliper mounting bolts, I've been successful with TiNi drill bits and Marty's center punching suggestion.

Senior Member Expert
    some RTV high temp silicone over the bango and washers will pass too

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    What bolts are you drilling? The banjo bolts? If so, we don't have a rule that says you need to wire them - although some other clubs do.

Now that I look at it, I can understand where there might be some confusion since 5.2.U. says "anything which drains fluid when removed".. but the banjo bolts aren't mentioned in 6.2.3. (I'll fix that for next year)

So, it's up to Ray, but over the past few years we haven't been requiring brake line banjo bolt wiring. In fact, there are some line/caliper setups where that wouldn't be possible (like the monoblock brembos on my Ape).

If you're trying to do the caliper mounting bolts, I've been successful with TiNi drill bits and Marty's center punching suggestion.

oh hell yes. 3 less bolts i need to drill
    '13 BMW S1000RR
    '06 GSXR 750 #686. Sold

Senior Member Expert
    By far the best bit Ive used is BluMol (Found at Homedepot)

dip the tip in some WD-40 and they go through dang near anything you can throw at them... and they cost far less than those over rated higher priced ones..... I can usually do a entire bike with 3-4 of them...

(Center punch is a MUST)

Senior Member Amateur
    can someone give me a quik line up of what bolts have to safety wired? I am coming from Europe and need to make sure I have everything done before shipping my bike.

Senior Member Amateur
    Post up what bike and year and I bet someone with the same bike will know exactly what to wire. Beyond that, anything that drains fluid, or has fluid behind it (brass washers), brake bolts and caliper bolts as well as brake pad pins. Also, the radiator cap and oil fill cap.

There are better posts on this in the tech forum right in the first 10 posts. One post has pics of everything wired on an R6...much more than MRA requires.

Senior Member Amateur
    I have a 2006 GSXR600 and am coming in November and want to have to bike ready before it is shipped from Germany if possible. Please post pics if possible.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis8310@hotmail.com
    can someone give me a quik line up of what bolts have to safety wired? I am coming from Europe and need to make sure I have everything done before shipping my bike.

http://www.mra-racing.org/PDF/2008_rulebook.pdf

Sections 5, 6, 14 cover this well. As its been said any bolt with fluid behind it, safety wire it. If in doubt, wire it. Cant hurt to have to many things wired.

Senior Member Expert
    Here is the thread with pics that phildrummond was talking about:
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=6443

(Spend some time browsing the rules/tech forum, there is a lot of great info in there you will probably want to know as well...)
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Anyone know were you can buy a safety wire kit? I am looking for a drill guide or something.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis8310@hotmail.com
    Anyone know were you can buy a safety wire kit? I am looking for a drill guide or something.
    Harbor Freight carries the pliers and the wire.

However, aviation supply places tend to carry the higher quality pliers
    Chris

"Adrenaline has blocked my fiscal sensibility."

Quote Originally Posted by turbohoje
    i gather you will be attending the Shellinger Institute of Conquest this summer.

Member Amateur

So for clarification, do banjo bolts need to be wired this year. I've been told by some people that they do, but then I have also been told they don't.

I know this thread is from last year so I am hoping maybe we can get an "official" (Ray Ray) answer for this season.

I've got a whole bunch of drill bits just waiting to be broke in half :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by CO750

So for clarification, do banjo bolts need to be wired this year. I've been told by some people that they do, but then I have also been told they don't.

I know this thread is from last year so I am hoping maybe we can get an "official" (Ray Ray) answer for this season.

I've got a whole bunch of drill bits just waiting to be broke in half :lol:
    Banjo bolts are not specifically mentioned in the rule book. Jim needs to add it for next year. I think we forgot!!

However, this is what the rule book states:

U. All nuts or fittings which drain fluid when removed, as well as filler caps (except fuel cap) or nuts, and filters must be secured with safety wire or other approved means.

ANYTHING that has a copper washer behind it needs to be safety wired. These tend to forgotten about.

Since this is not clear I would strongly encourage you to safety wire them! hint hint hint!! Lets put it this way! If they leak it means you won't stop!
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Member Amateur
    So is there a better way to wire the banjos other than to the lines? I was planning on putting a loop around the brake line fitting and then wiring that to the bolts themselves once they are drilled.

I really don't want to wire the caliper bolts to the banjos at the bottom and at the master cylinder I don't really see any other way to wire that bolt to anything other than the line itself.

Quote Originally Posted by CO750
    So is there a better way to wire the banjos other than to the lines? I was planning on putting a loop around the brake line fitting and then wiring that to the bolts themselves once they are drilled.

I really don't want to wire the caliper bolts to the banjos at the bottom and at the master cylinder I don't really see any other way to wire that bolt to anything other than the line itself.
    Nope, that is what I do! Safety wire them to the lines.
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports