Many of these reasons are why I say it can happen anywhere. Just so you know, when you go to a dealership for an oil change 90% of the time it is done by a kid getting paid $9hr to change oil all day (unless you request your mechanic to do the oil change). He has the equivalent knowledge of a kid working at Grease Monkey. I see it all the time at my places of work. Other Mechanics trying to sell brake pads when they still have 10k to 20k of pad life left. Good luck to all and always ask to see your pads before you authorize the work.

And yes Dion, I have heard that new commercial. That is what spurred me onto this post after I heard it last night.

I do agree that for the most part Dealerships are better places to go but I will be the first to admit there are horrible Mechanics everywhere. My honest advice to you all is if and when you find a Mechanic you trust who does good work and is honest, pay whatever he wants and follow him wherever he goes. Sometimes paying a little more to a Mechanic you trust is well worth it. You get what you pay for. Good Mechanics are extremely hard to find.

Again, good luck to all.