• Keep the new Crystal Trophies

19 38.00%
  • Just something different than 2nd/3rd Place

7 14.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Poll

Senior Member Expert

Trophy Poll

This is an adhoc poll of what people would like to see for the first place trophies. This in NO WAY means that the trophies can or will change; so this is nothing other than an opinion poll.

Donna has put in A LOT of hard work to make the trophies what they are, and she deserves everyones thanks for the effort she puts into each weekend's trophies so we even have anything to have an opinion on; so thank you Donna!

Below I grabbed some pictures off of the crowntrophy site of the crystals and motorcycle man for some reference.

'Pewter Man' (6x9 1/2")

Crystal Trophies - (4 1/2" tall)
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    I agree with the Pewter guy, and would also like to revert back to the plaques for 2nd and 3rd.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    voted... I like the crystals for 2nd and 3rd.. just not for 1st place.....

Id even settle to see a larger crystal for 1st... something that sets it apart.....

Side bar: I searched for hours to see if there were other options of the "Pewter man" out there... Unfortunately for the dirt riders there are lots of options... but for the road racers... Not so much...

Senior Member Expert
    After racing for years and years, I assure most all of you will begin to question just what to do with the boxes and boxes of paraphernalia that racing will bring you. I remember this one fellow who used to race, when he didn't like the trophies he just went to the trophy store and bought himself what he did like. I think the crystal ones are kind of cool, different and look great displayed in a case though I haven't been able to yet pry it from my five year sons hands!

+ 1 Donna has done a great job!

I had some friends form work over last night, and they had asked me why i was displaying my work achievement awards. After taking a closer look they realized there was something different written on them. Point being is i don't work hard at work... but i try my hardest every weekend at the track. Long live the "Pewter Man"

Senior Member Amateur
    Donna,
    Great work! I love the new trophies but it would be cool to maybe just have a bigger one for 1st. That is my thought.
    Keep up the great work....

Senior Member Expert
    I agree with Crash (though I will never see one) I think a bigger version for first then smaller for 2nd and third.

I though they looked nice.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    hated the plaques, like so much i just keep them in a box, the motorcycle guy was ok, but just ok.

i like the idea of the new ones, they are really smart, professional and look good anywhere in the house or office. I guess I am not the typical racers as i dont have a 'trophy room' in the house and there arent even any photos or pictures of bikes in the house. A bit of stuff in the garage but mainly just stuff stacked in a corner.

Could the 1st place crystal ones be a ittle larger? Sure, but I would rather see the club spend money on other things first rather than just more expensive trophies.

if you dont like my answer/opinion tough, you asked for it

Senior Member Amateur
    I agree with Clarkie, completely, verbatim, even the garage with the box of plaques. The glass is the best I have ever seen. Lets put the money elsewhere, well done Donna.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing616
    completely, verbatim
    what did you call me? :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    vermin, sorry for the confusion, lol.

Senior Member Amateur
    I am with Clarkie and B-rad! (i can't spell Ver...bate...whatever)
    Donna, you did a great job with the crystal and All i have to say is this...F the pewter guy and the softball / bowling trophies! :mrgreen: -C

Senior Member Expert
    The glass is the best I have ever seen. Lets put the money elsewhere,
    I thought the class sponsors paid for the trophies?

Senior Member Expert
    We trophy sponsors do pay for the trophies. Personally, as a longtime trophy sponsor, suggested a couple years ago, allowing us sponsors to choose the individual trophies we wanted for our class, take care of purchasing them and get them to the track each weekend. At the time it was voted down as not being in the spirit or something along those lines.
    I through my years of racing have won some pretty neat, as well as some pretty lame trophies. I would be glad for what you have now.

glenngsxr
    I am glad for them, seeing how I have never gotten one. but, I do hope to change that one day. Let's keep them. Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    vermin, sorry for the confusion, lol.
    that's better :lol: :lol: :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    So the racers who have "tons" of trophies want to keep the crystals, where as the racers who have yet to take a first place, want the Pewter guy back. I can only guess who the club is going to listen to.

From what I understand, it was stated that the crystals actually cost more. If everyone is supporting the idea of putting money to good use somewhere else, wouldn't it make sense to go back to what was cheaper? I wish I had an excess of trophies filling my garage but I dont. I have a couple plaques from last year and thats it. To be honest, these crystals aren't even noticed when sitting on my shelf. I guess it must be nice to have to worry about where to stack the boxes of trophies that some of you racers have. I just feel that our time and money spent to practice and race, should be awarded with something that people would atleast take a glance at. I do race to WIN, not to win a trophy. I just always thought it was cool to see the Pewter man. I mean, its something unique to roadracing, and is clear as to what type of award it is.

I hope not to make anyone upset, and I'm not trying to offend any of you fast guys. I respect the club and all its members.
    Casey D

love the glass... just make 1st a little bigger!!!!!!! or put it on a wood stand or somethin.....carve a bike in it?? glue a gold "one" on top of it

a++++++ on the new trophys...... verry classy
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    We trophy sponsors do pay for the trophies. Personally, as a longtime trophy sponsor, suggested a couple years ago, allowing us sponsors to choose the individual trophies we wanted for our class, take care of purchasing them and get them to the track each weekend. At the time it was voted down as not being in the spirit or something along those lines.
    I through my years of racing have won some pretty neat, as well as some pretty lame trophies. I would be glad for what you have now.
    Historically we've barely been able to get the trophy sponsors to pay for the sponsorship before the season is over - and some have never paid at all. Some of this was due to our poor billing processes, some due to slow payment by the sponsors. So, to expect them to have trophies prepared, ready to go, and delivered to the track consistently is unreasonable. That's the biggest reason it was voted down.

As I said before - if the pewter man is so critical - you can certainly buy one for under $20. I'm in the same boat as Jon. I have everything from AMAZING to crappy and everything in between. The 4th place plaque I earned at Daytona for the CCS National championship is actually suckier (and smaller) than any plaque we've ever done in the MRA. But that doesn't make it any less meaningful...

If you've looked at the Poll, it's about even between leaving them as is, and going back to pewter man...

It's gonna take way more support from the membership to initiate a change - imo.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    good point Casey, but as a new class sponsor i was very happy to just see some effort and creativity put into our trophies. i am proud to have my company's name on the new stuff.

Question; if someone was looking at your trophy at home or the office, would they know it was any less or better than any other?...

i think the racers who have been around a while are not only tired of the same old stuff year to year but most of us like to show our accomplishments in a little more mature and sophisticated way. not to say that pewter guy is not mature but long ago were the days talking my wife into putting the pewter guy on the mantle for the world to see.
    ...the five foot tall Mx trophies are sweet for disco ball style effects in the house when cars drive by at night. they also look cool next to my posters of Voltron and Quiet Riot. i would be happy to trade some pewter guy slash moto-bowling trophies for some of the new ones. -JYD

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER
    love the glass... just make 1st a little bigger!!!!!!! or put it on a wood stand or somethin.....carve a bike in it?? glue a gold "one" on top of it

a++++++ on the new trophys...... verry classy
    Forget it, Hammer! Not only am I a music teacher, but I teach art at my school. I am personally making one for you! :twisted:
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

I personally think the new look is awsome! I do think that 1st place should stand out from the 2nd and 3rd place trophy, but overall the rock! I don't know if the MRA will ever be able to have a trophy that everyone agrees on with all the different dislikes, and likes. I am just glad we get them!
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Expert
    It looks like its pretty 50/50.

One quick question though... it was said these trophies have been around a 'long time'.... from my knowledge I think they have only been around 2 years.... so they arent that saturated are they (other than in shane and clarkies garage)

2005, Justin Meyer won MWSS and AMU the first weekend and got two plaques... and I think in 04 he won a sportsman race when he started (and there were still trophies for sportsman) and that was also a plaque. So were the pewter mans used prior to 04 and rotated out for plaques and then back again for 06 and 07 seasons?

just curious.

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    Just went through Otis' collection of Motorcycle Men and found them as far back as 2002. My first one came in '05.
    Sorry for the fuzzy cell phone pic...
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    what a sweet trophy :cry:
    Casey D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast