Thread: GP shift for 99-02 R6

Member Novice

GP shift for 99-02 R6

I'm looking for a smokin' deal on a GP shifter for my 02 R6.
    Matt Henning
    303-521-9598 :cry:
    Matt Henning

Senior Member Expert
    huh? As in a Quick shifter... or just to switch to GP shift? If you want to switch to GP shift.. just rotate the shift arm around the gear shaft...... (Roughly 180 degrees depending on length of shift arm..) I have to go about 120-130 degrees)

If you have OEM rearsets: U may need a small shim to clear the frame.... (Recommend buying 10 mm longer bolts as well)

If you want to put more effort into it, Drill out the rivet, and more the shift arm to the outside of the shft lever and re-bolt it back on...

Member Novice
    wow, I'll try it. I didn't know it was that easy. Thanks, I'll let you know if I figure it out or not. :shock:
    Matt Henning

Member Novice
    yah no dice, my gear shaft goes through a hole in the frame. It's an 02. :x
    Matt Henning

Senior Member Expert
    the shift rod also goes thru the hole in the frame on the above model. you just need to rotate the top connection to where it is in the top pic. then using some spacers you should be able to get it to clear.

if not, check out woodcraft. i believe the GP shift rod is something like $15. good luck.

OK I lied, its $25. http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...dproduct=17654
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos13
    the shift rod also goes thru the hole in the frame on the above model. you just need to rotate the top connection to where it is in the top pic. then using some spacers you should be able to get it to clear.

if not, check out woodcraft. i believe the GP shift rod is something like $15. good luck.

OK I lied, its $25. http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...dproduct=17654

Word..... Here are some pics of my 03 with the Woodcraft GP rod... This rod will work with OEM rearsets (with a bit of modification) or obviously Woodcraft rear sets...)

Also: The earlier pics are on an 02 R1 (Which if you look carefully also has the hole for going through the frame just as yours.. The 03 also starts out going through the frame... Heck I think most Yami R1's till 04+ and R6 till 06, all went through the frame... Another tip is to drill out the rivet the holds the stock rod to the shift arm on the rearset. Then flip it to the front of the lever and use a new alan bolt and lock nut to remount it (This will help you clear the frame with out so much spacer added) If our lovely Pres G.C. has a pic of his R1.. I know he did this to modify his.....

Senior Member Expert
    Hey Dion, if you lengthen your shift rod so the linkage/rod angle is at 90' to the shift shaft you will get smoother shifting :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    Hey Dion, if you lengthen your shift rod so the linkage/rod angle is at 90' to the shift shaft you will get smoother shifting :wink:

Agreed. But the arm rubs the frame then... Id have to shim it out a bit more to get a perfect 90 degrees..... Which I could do, but I wondered if the left side would feel funny being shimmed out so far...

Senior Member Expert
    yea that makes sense why you did that now, just grind the frame, it will be fine!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    yea that makes sense why you did that now, just grind the frame, it will be fine!
    :lol: I wondered about that too...guess I was chicken that the new owner (after I sell it someday) would think it was damaged goods with a grinded frame....

Luckily the 06-08 R6 changed how they had the shift arm set up so its not a problem at all to flip it over and have 90 deg and much smoother shifting......

Member Novice
    so it's grind your frame or a quarter pound of washers. well at least it's in my price range.
    Matt Henning

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by chupale
    so it's grind your frame or a quarter pound of washers. well at least it's in my price range.
    or like I said.. drill out the rivet on the shift arm, flip it to the other side and rebolt it on....

cost of new bolt and nut = less than a buck.....