View Poll Results: What do you think about adding Formula 40?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, I'm old and I'd do it.

19 55.88%
  • I'm not eligible & don't care if we do it or not.

9 26.47%
  • I'm against another class, we have enough already.

6 17.65%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula 40 proposal for 2006

Senior Member Amateur
    Unique? Goofy? Try Boulder Res in May. Hey...

I don't have much racing experience yet, but it's pretty clear already that I will never be in the same league as the young'uns. I personally am in it more for entertainment now than for glory. That's not to say that I'm not competitive, but rather that my motivation is just at a lower level of intensity. There are many reasons for this, and they mostly correlate with age.

I like the ROROF idea - would/could this be a 16 lapper? To keep it from becoming more of the same, how about excluding people from competing in ROR both as an Old Fart and as a real racer (GTU/GTO) on the same weekend?

As far as hardware goes, I say ride the bike that's the most fun, whatever it is. My guess is that by the time someone 'advances' into this bracket, their bike will be much less of a determinant than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    I'm against it. Many of our faster racers are over or approaching 40 anyway, so we'll just have another ROR/AMO class which would be redundant.
    Make it an Amateur class (allowing Novices to compete in it), and have it fall under the same rules as AmU and AmO (in relation to ROR):
    4.2 Definition of Amateur
    B. Experts who sign up for Amateur GTO or Amateur GTU races are ineligible for RoR GTO and RoR GTU races during that event.
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Amateur
    It seems to me that people want this class. Sportsman and MWSB errrrr RORU were created because people wanted the class. Adding races that people want to run makes this club money. Having races in which no one signs up is taking up time and space on the schedule.

Lurch

Senior Member Expert

Ricky's is indeed 40

As far as you guys worrying about formula 40 and Mr Orlando taking away your positions, I don't believe you'll have to worry about that because he's about done with the club level stuff except for the contengency races. Notice he hasn't been around much this year? He'll participate only in contingency paying events and I'm sure Formula 40 won't give much of a paycheck. For all you young pups He's actually 48 the same age as My Brewer. Hey maybe we should have formula 50?

Jim 'smooth' Brewer

Re: Ricky's is indeed 40

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    For all you young pups He's actually 48 the same age as My Brewer. Hey maybe we should have formula 50?
    Hey, I'm not 48! :cry: (yet).

As reference, here are some existing Formula 40 classes in the US:

- AFM: Rider must be 40 or older - no displacement or modification limits.
    - CCS: Lightweight Formula 40 - basically lightweight superbike rules
    - CCS: Formula 40 - Am & Ex - basically heavyweight superbike rules
    - CMRA: Same as CCS
    - WSMC: Lightweight Formula 40 - formula 2 rules (LWGP)
    - WSMC: Formula 40 - open displacement & modification
    - OMRRA: doesn't do it
    - WMRRA: doesn't do it
    - WERA: doesn't do it (I didn't find it in the rulebook)

I for one am in favor of an unlimited GP rules Formula 40, such as Lurch and others have suggested. We can vote for the class during the rules change process, see if the board will ratify it, then figure out the schedule before next year.

Senior Member Expert
    I'd like to see it ratified, but with the option of running GTU and GTO classes if the signups warrant it. Both classes would run simultaneously, with a two wave start. Now, if 5 riders participate in the class (unlikely, but it could happen) we wouldn't run two classes, but if we get enough it might be nice to have the two separate distinctions just to make it competetive for everyone. *shrug* Just thinkin. I think the first year will tell a lot, and maybe we split it into GTU/GTO later on after we can accurately gauge the results...
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    What about "Formula 45"? Combined rider age and bike age must be at least 45 years. That way younger guys could compete but must be on older equipment. Old guys like Jim B could run whatever they want but I'd have to run a Modern Vintage bike...

This would add some flair and open it up to more competitors.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    What about "Formula 45"? Combined rider age and bike age must be at least 45 years. That way younger guys could compete but must be on older equipment. Old guys like Jim B could run whatever they want but I'd have to run a Modern Vintage bike...

This would add some flair and open it up to more competitors.
    Now that would be interesting... Would also give the Modern Vintage racers another place to play and not get left behind (unless Orlando shows up on his shiny new 6RR, since he could run a bike from the future and still be legal :lol: ).
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Wow - thats actually a pretty cool idea...
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    Wow - thats actually a pretty cool idea...
    I agree! =D>

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    (unless Orlando shows up on his shiny new 6RR, since he could run a bike from the future and still be legal :lol: ).
    Make it an Amateur class and put it under the same rule as AmU and AmO, which discludes ROR participants.
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Expert
    Actually as long as the class doesn't pay out money or have bike contingency $$, I wouldn't worry too much about the top guys coming in and spoiling the fun. However I think other contingency (tire, gas, blah blah) should be there.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Senior Member Amateur
    and add a displacment/weight relationship also, the heavy the rider the larger displacment, light riders have to ride smaller bikes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12