View Poll Results: What do you think about adding Formula 40?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, I'm old and I'd do it.

19 55.88%
  • I'm not eligible & don't care if we do it or not.

9 26.47%
  • I'm against another class, we have enough already.

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula 40 proposal for 2006

Jim 'smooth' Brewer

Formula 40 proposal for 2006

From the proposed rule change section, it seems there are several racers interested in creating a Formula 40 class. Just for reference, CCS, AFM, and some other clubs run this - the only rule being that you have to be 40 years old or older. Bike size & modification level is unlimited.

Let's hear from those interested and see if we can refine a class proposal!

Senior Member Amateur
    I will be 40 in July of next year. Will I have to wait another year (2007) to race in that class? Can I sign up for that class mid year?
    Either way, I am for it.
    03 Yamaha WR250F
    DARC Racing
    Faster Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    That'd be a good question, and something to bring up for the subsequent rules should this make it to fruition. Think of a good way to word it so you can race, and put it to a vote in the rules meeting this winter... Remember, this is a brand new class so the riders will define it.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    I would imagine since the only rule would be, being 40 years old that should be self expanitory :P

Senior Member Expert
    So, this is like ROR, but for guys over 40?

Is this going to turn into another Sportsman thread?
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    So, this is like ROR, but for guys over 40?

Is this going to turn into another Sportsman thread?
    Kinda, and possibly. :lol:

IMO this class should have some exclusions. For example, if you are fast enough to place well in ROR, should you be able to ride in Formula 40? I think this class should have trophies and points, and contingency. But ultimately the spirit of the class is to allow older riders a chance to play without getting their paint sucked off by some punk on a mission. Sort of a "run whatcha brung" class with suitability limits like Novice would be ideal I think, but I do think there needs to be some restraint on who can enter - just to make sure some of our old fast farts aren't in there sandbagging for the contingency.

Or is the point of the class to let those who are supposedly "older and more in check with reality" ride no matter how fast they are? I think that's a bit off, but I could be wrong.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Exactly why I am asking what it is...

Anytime we try and legislate morality, we have a hard time. This may be a case of that, however, Jimbo is right - many other clubs around the country have this type of class and maybe we could lift their rule structure directly if there are enough willing competitors.

Everyone should keep in mind that Ricky would be eligible (he has got to be 40 by now? ) - so if the intent of the class is for it to be "slower" rather than more "mature", you may have to really think out the rules. (Ricky is very smooth and makes good decisions on the track, but he is by no means slow. FWIW - I am just using him as an example.)

Senior Member Expert
    The question also begs, would he even race given that this isn't exactly his sort of class? There are lots of races he could enter and win, but he chooses not to. As of late he hasn't even been making all MRA events. So while he "could", I am not sure he "would" so that threat may simply be an unnecessary notion. He is in it to beat fast racers, not go after a bunch of guys who just want a lower-key place to have fun.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Senior Member Expert
    If there is no $, then he wouldn't race it.

But that is not really my point. i am just pointing out that "old" doesn't mean "slow".

(note that I am not calling anyone old nor slow in this post. )

Junior Member Novice
    I would vote no on making this a slow class. The appeal of the Formula 40 in CCS or WERA is that most of us that are older tend to ride a bit more conservatively/smarter (but still fast) as most of us are beyond the glory days, just out to have fun, and want to make it home to our families in one piece. One of the best ways to get better and faster is to race/ride with better and faster riders.

CCS has Formula 40 which restricts what bike you can run in the class.

WERA has size restrictions for expert, none for novices.
    Tommy

"If it can't kill you, it isn't a sport"

Senior Member Expert
    I just don't see the need to try and cram yet ANOTHER class into our schedule...we just lost an hour of sunday practice in an effort to make up for RoRU and bring the end of the sunday program a little earlier in the day.

If running a class where the racers are not as full of testosterone is what you're after, consider the MV classes. These have long been considered the "gentleman's" classes in this club.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Modern vintage classes are a blast.

The twins classes are lots of fun too (as long as you are not near Mike and I).

Senior Member Expert
    Ok, but what about older guys (like Mike Christy, a proponent of this class at least earlier) who want to race something at least sort of current.

I don't see this being a Sunday event, most likely it'd be a Saturday thing. I also think the membership should ratify its existence. Let them decide if they want it to be, knowing full well it would add another 8-lap event to Saturday's lineup.

Scheduling would suck, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a populated class. Hopefully Jim's poll will shed some more light on this in time.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Senior Member Expert
    Although I agree with Glenn in that we have options for those who look for a less frenzied race environment than Middleweight Supersport - adding another race on Saturday seems like a reasonable approach if indeed there is enough support.

This existence of this class (like the wonderful Formula II and Formula III classes of old) would hinge on signups. If there are enough people to justify its existance and show support for the class, I am very much in favor of proposing the class and getting the membership involved to decide whether or not the MRA offers it.

Senior Member Expert
    I know I would not be able to field an MV bike in addition to the bike(s) I am concidering for next year, that is why I proposed this class, as a ride what you brung affair.
    There might be some merit to a ROR placement cut off.

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm all for this class. Make it a run what you brung class. Also I don't want to see another class where if you are fast you get kicked out. Nov,Am and Sportsman all ready do this so why another class? Formula 40 would give guys that don't want to run ROR another place to go play. Plus it may encourage older riders to come race since they wouldn't have to ride with the young punks in Nov and Am. With that said make it a AM class so 40yr old novices could come play with guys that hopefully know how to ride by now.

Lurch

Senior Member Amateur
    As a way over 40 novice, I totally agree with what Lurch said. Make it an Am class. Run what ya brung.
    Joe Turek #59

Senior Member Amateur
    deleted repeat post
    Joe Turek #59

Senior Member Expert
    Also I don't want to see another class where if you are fast you get kicked out.
    With that said make it a AM class so 40yr old novices could come play with guys that hopefully know how to ride by now.
    But Am has a bump rule, are you suggesting that if you've been bumped from Am you can't run this? :-k

Also, is this going to be cross posted to the Yahoo group?

Senior Member Amateur
    But Am has a bump rule, are you suggesting that if you've been bumped from Am you can't run this?
    No my meaning was make it like ST's and MV which a first year novice can run in it also. I say we call in ROROF. (Race of the Rockies Old Farts)

Lurch

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    But Am has a bump rule, are you suggesting that if you've been bumped from Am you can't run this?
    No my meaning was make it like ST's and MV which a first year novice can run in it also. I say we call in ROROF. (Race of the Rockies Old Farts)

Lurch
    With a championship trophy you also win an economy-sized bottle of Geritol. :P
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Senior Member Amateur
    and Depends..

Lurch

Senior Member Expert
    Depends on what?...........Speak up damit! I can't hear you without my reading glasses!

I'll be eligible for this in a couple of years and I'm all for it. 8)

I realize there's been talk of "run whatcha brung" (a la ROR), but I think a GTU/GTO split might help even things out a bit (I know that there are time constraints, so maybe both GTU & GTO could be run in the same race, but start in different waves).
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    I'm against it. Many of our faster racers are over or approaching 40 anyway, so we'll just have another ROR/AMO class which would be redundant.

I'd much rather see a unique, goofy, but fun class where skill and $$ wouldn't necessarily win you the class. I'm thinking FORMULA APE HANGER. Must be a bike classified as a "cruiser" by the manufacturer at the time of production. Handlebars must be at or above shoulder level when seated, and foot controls must be forward of the rider. Maybe you throw a 5-10 year age limit too, to keep costs down...

As far as finding a slot for another class. Saturday would be the day. If SMSportsman doesn't pick up in signups, I would suggest we drop it anyway... That would free up some time.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast