Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track condition...

Senior Member Expert

Track condition...

Just wondering how the track, specifically T10, was today during the school. Anything else new around the track that we need to look for?

Dingle

Senior Member Amateur
    Donna, She is the one knows
    Ed Duenez
    The Chicken ass KICKER!!!

RED FORCE RACING

Pinewood Wall Systems, LLC. MOTO GARAGE, SCOTT JENSEN,TRI-CITY CYCLE,

Senior Member Amateur
    After 2 hours of trying to make a smooth line through it with cones...well, just tip toe through it. I was not a fan. The exit will make you pucker every time. I liked it much better before.

Senior Member Expert
    I guess we will see tomorrow, as brownie said, its the same for everyone else so we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by DingleBerns
    I guess we will see tomorrow, as brownie said, its the same for everyone else so we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!
    We'll be expecting a full report tomorrow, Bernsie, with pics.

Senior Member Expert
    we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!
    That is exactly how and why people get hurt. If you make it past a few seasons of this Derek, you will find we don't have to prove anything to anyone regarding the risks we are willing to take.

If the track is unsafe, say so.

If the track is safe, just less than optimal, say so.

Personally, bumps are the norm for Colorado; It is concrete walls that concern me. Hopefully they will not be an issue.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Yes Dave, a track day is not a place to practice that but a race situation is a different story... I was looking at it from a race day point of view.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoSix
    we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!
    That is exactly how and why people get hurt. If you make it past a few seasons of this Derek, you will find we don't have to prove anything to anyone regarding the risks we are willing to take.
    come on now Dave, Dingle hangs with the tough guys, you have to talk the talk even if you cant walk the walk :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    Yep you got it clarkie, I suck at racing...

Senior Member Expert
    Yes Dave, a track day is not a place to practice that but a race situation is a different story... I was looking at it from a race day point of view.
    I don't get it.

Your life is worth less during a race than during a practice day?

Senior Member Expert
    Its not about the cost of life...do you push as hard during practice at race pace? Probably not. That's what I'm talking about. Things are different during practice and race day...

Senior Member Expert
    Yep you got it clarkie, I suck at racing...
    never said that Dingle, it's bad form to put words in another persons mouth :wink:

tell me, you have how many years racing?
    how many bones have you broken racing?
    how many times have you hit a wall or tire barrier?

when you spend a few more years racing you will learn that self preservation is very high on a lot of racer's list. Saying someone should "grow a set of balls and suck it up" is insulting to those people that have been seriously injured on the track and as a result choose to ride/race at their own pace.

Just remember we all ride for different reasons Dingle, and I can guarantee you will be surprised at how different each racer's reasons can be :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Its not about the cost of life...do you push as hard during practice at race pace? Probably not. That's what I'm talking about. Things are different during practice and race day...
    That is exactly what I referring to.

I do push as hard in practice as I do in the race. I know how fast I am able to go before the green flag drops, and I know before hand what kind of chances I am willing to take.

If you are doing things that are new to you during a "heated" battle, chances are higher you are going to make more mistakes. I don't like seeing our racers get hurt, and you will find that the top racers in the club don't like being told which risks they are going to take "because everyone else is".

Yes, we will all man-up and ride the bumpy tracks. But, there is a big difference between sucking it up and taking chances you are not personally comfortable with.

Side Note: I am always very pleased when the MRA Board consults with the fastest riders in the club when assessing a track condition. Timmay!, Mark, Glenn, Tony, Jimbo have always been good about this.

Senior Member Expert
    You stated that I can't walk the walk, which means I can't ride. That's what I gathered from your statement....and any reasonably intelligent person, I feel, would view that statement the same way.

6 months racing
    0 bones
    0 tires/walls

If I insulted anyone viewing this forum please call me at 303-667-5859 so I can personally apologize to you....

Dingle

Senior Member Amateur
    Some details about T10 we saw working corners on Saturday...It's slower and more of a 90-degree than before. Late turn-in should treat you best. It will push you to the outside and you'll be at the edge much sooner than before. The hard accelertion comes when you're on the concrete so the back will step out and the big bikes spun it up at 50% power. It's a slower start to a longer straight.

We set cones a few different ways and had MRA instructors running the different lines. No one loved it but only one guy went off in T10. I'm not sure how it will be without MRA there on Monday to set cones.

Walk it before riding it. No air fence on open track days...

i'll be down there tomorrow and i have some cones i ways gonna bring. i'll try to remember to bring my camera and throw some pix up tomorrow night. is the curbing set up on t10 to reference the cones or should i just set them beside the fresh asphalt?
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Amateur
    We laid cones down and put yellow chalk marks where the ends were. The inside-most marks are what we wound up using. Not sure if the marks are still there or if they got scrubbed off today. Should I bring a broom. The new pavement can get gravelly in spots.

No curbing yet.

Senior Member Expert
    Set them by the asphalt. Its pretty easy when you see it.

The only person who went off just barely blew the corner and then plowed the front in the dirt. No damage to him or the bike other than scuffed paint.

The corner got better with heat is what I heard. But it now requires more air fence to cover. The biggest thing I noticed was if you blow the corner you have less room to spare before going off in the dirt which is rough as heck right now. AND if you run wide on the exit and fall off the track it is a BIG drop till the burn out trap. It wont be a fun ride. But they are not done with the dirt I think....
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    You stated that I can't walk the walk, which means I can't ride. That's what I gathered from your statement....and any reasonably intelligent person, I feel, would view that statement the same way.
    nah, I was referring to talking tough, not racing

i have hit many unprotected walls and tire barriers, i have also hit airfence, slid under improperly installed airfence and even caught a footpeg on airfence which dragged me down.

I have also broken my back in 4 places after hitting a tire wall at Loudon in 2004, it sucked but many others that have hit walls at Loudon are in wheelchairs so I count myself lucky.

As someone that has ridden and been hurt badly on the track I am insulted but your 'grow a set of balls and suck it up' comment, i will NOT suck it up and ride like that on a track without thinking about the consequences of what can happen. I can also guarantee you that I will push a lot hard than you will ever think is possible after 1 year of racing.

Derek your enthusiasm for the sport of Road Racing and the MRA is awesome and I applaud you on that, but a lot of your comments are uninformed, inexperienced and lack maturity. You are trying to preach a certain way of thinking to a lot of people who have seen and felt a lot of hurt from people riding with reckless abandon.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by phildrummond
    Some details about T10 we saw working corners on Saturday...It's slower and more of a 90-degree than before. Late turn-in should treat you best. It will push you to the outside and you'll be at the edge much sooner than before. The hard accelertion comes when you're on the concrete so the back will step out and the big bikes spun it up at 50% power. It's a slower start to a longer straight.
    i am dieing to see pictures! (im pretty much scaried shitless)

did they move the concrete barriers to the edge of the track along the front straight?

do you feel like it is a better alternative to the old style t10?
    Benny Tozzi #78
    Tri City Cycle
    Check out Dave@SingleTrackMind for your suspension needs!
    www.fixmybike.com

www.getwellclarkie.com

Senior Member Amateur
    From watching riders going through T10 both from pregrid and from the outside of the turn, rear ends were sliding like no other when they hit the concrete, but that seemed to get better as the day went on. Talking to a few instructors, they were saying in the morning it was slick enough that they were bouncing off their rev limiters and not really going anywhere. The new pavement was not feathered to be level with the old pavement of pregrid therefore there is a drop off from the track back to the old stuff. Just some observations from a corner worker
    Brandon

Senior Member Expert
    I knew not building a superbike motor was a good idea! So. My old SV will hook up better due to a paucity of ponies, while those with 100 and more get to make like J-Brown speedwaying, only to the right! Cool! Looks like I'll make up at least .3 of the eight or so seconds I keep giving up each lap. Look out mid pack! Here I come!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing it Monday, and figuring out how to deal with it!
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

glenngsxr
    So they repaved from the exit of nine to turn ten, correct? Seems to me they should have just repaved ten altogether and left the straight in between 9 and 10 alone. I just have this weird feeling that this is going to be more ridiculous than it was before. And yes, I can speak from experience cause I hit that wall after turn ten on lap 1, race 1 last year. It hurt. It's also safe to say that watching Clarkie go through there makes me want to quit racing. Scary stuff. Basically all we have done now is make turn ten a highside corner instead of a lowside corner. Oh well. I hope we all can grow a set of balls and speak up more about safety. glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    Yes clarkie obviously you will push harder than I could have imagined last year, I've only been on a bike for a year without any prior experience and I still have shit tons to learn...

I never said or implied that one had to ride reckless, unless suck it up and grow some balls means otherwise in your native country...

Again my number is 3036675859 for those I have offended, and call me anytime time clarkie before 10pm so I can apologize to you specifically.

Senior Member Expert
    I never said or implied that one had to ride reckless, unless suck it up and grow some balls means otherwise in your native country...
    yup, thats what it means in every country I have raced in

It's all good Dingle, but just take notice of how many of us old farts limp around the pits, crashing hurts, it hurts more when you get old like me. I used to bounce well when I was young like you, now it's just more of a thud

There are corners at some tracks in this country (I have probably only raced/ridden at about 60% of the tracks in the US) where you can only ride at 80%, sure like Brownie said they are the same for everyone but 90% of people will ride at 80% just to get through that corner safely. All it takes is that 1 person to try and go into a corner balls to the wall because they are trying to 'suck it up and grow a set of balls' for bad things to happen.

A classic example is the last turn at Hastings, it is a very safe corner but most people know that it's not a 'win it or bin it' corner, unfortunately it is the same corner where Donnie Hough and Dan Turner ended up getting hurt really badly because of another riders mistake. That turn is also a great place to pass someone............. if done correctly.

I dont care who will say otherwise, but to me T10 at Pueblo will always be a corner where you just get through cleanly, now there is a good chance you will see more passing going into it but the more experienced riders will wait until the time is right. The old T10 config also had a great place to pass someone but it was very sketchy at best, I bet if you asked the top 5 ROR-U/O riders if there was a time they could have stuffed someone going into T10 they will all say sure, there were lots of times, but it wasnt worth it.

Reading a corner is a skill you will learn with time, it's like reading a wave when you are surfing, you have to pick your wave and decide when you want to drop in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast