Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They let me back in... but only until the end of Feb.

They let me back in... but only until the end of Feb.

Formerly titled: "Why I won't be at the banquet, or racing, or even around..."
    Update in post dated 2/12

I left the U.S. to attend my brothers wedding last week. When I tried to come back home yesterday, I was informed that my visa was no longer valid, and I was refused entry into the U.S., so I'm stuck in Canada now.

When I lost my job, it turns out that I had 10 days to get my affairs in order and leave the country. It doesn't matter that I lost my job while I was in a coma, or that I was still in the hospital when that 10 day limit was reached. At the very least, Immigration should have been informed of the situation. Joe and/or Ralph did some checking, and were incorrectly informed that I had 1 year before I had to leave, so it turns out I've been living in the US illegally for the past 4 months. As a result, Immigration won't even let me back in as a visitor (so I can get my affairs in order, pack up & drive my stuff back to Canada) because they don't trust that I'll leave. In order to come back as a visitor, they want me to prove that I've established ties to Canada (have a regular paycheck coming in; have bank accounts; show that I'm paying rent somewhere; etc.), so that would take a few months at the very least.

The worst part is that I'm stuck with no car, and only a weeks worth of clothes, very little of it suitable for a work environment, let alone job interviews, :? and they only way I can get my stuff now, is to either hire a company to pack it all up for me & move it, or have somebody pack it for me & drive it up to me.

I'm not looking for help - I've already gotten offers from the few people I've told. Joe is going to be shipping me some clothes & stuff for the short-term. And I'm not looking to start any drama - I just included all the details because these are things that had to be explained to the few people I've told.

I might be able to get back in if I had a valid work visa once again, but not being allowed into the U.S. might hinder the interview process...

Anyway, I'm not saying goodbye or anything (at least not yet), just wanted to let my friends know what was going on.

Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Amateur
    holy $h!t
    Justin Meyer

Senior Member Expert
    Damn Bob, that is messed up. I know you said you have everything covered, but if there is any way I can help, let me know. Good luck bro, hurry back to the US.
    Casey D

glenngsxr
    Would it help if someone hooked him up with a Valid work visa? How hard is that to do? Glenn #62

Senior Member Amateur
    dude that totally sucks. Good luck with everything
    mra #115
    07 CBR 600 RR
    09 Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr
    Would it help if someone hooked him up with a Valid work visa? How hard is that to do? Glenn #62
    That would definitely help, but not very easy to do. I'm a computer programmer/analyst by trade & the job has to be something I'm qualified for. Also, it's more difficult for smaller companies to sponsor a foreign national than it is for larger firms.

Thanks for the thought tho. 8)
    Bob - #46
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan

Senior Member Expert
    Dood... I have a lump in my throat over this... Im sorry to hear of this misfortune...

Are there any options? or only getting a job here in your field (with out an in person interview) ?????

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm sorry to here that dude, it sucks. If there was anything I could do I would. Keep in touch please!
    Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

Kip "Hollywood" Book
    Track Marshal 2008
    Head Corner Marshal - '05, '06, '07
    MotoGP Laguna Seca - '05 (Corner Worker), '06, '07, '08, '09 (NMP Medic)
    Lovin' the Corner Marshal gig since '98!

Cornermarshal@yahoo.com

Senior Member Expert
    Awwwwww, Spidey!! That bites! If I can help in any way, let me know!
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Senior Member Amateur
    people should think about the reason something so unbelievable could happen. (not that i know what it is) it's nothing short of catch-22-like bureaucratic idiocy. that our own government could be so myopic, to a canadian citizen nonetheless is shameful. there's nothing wrong with having secure yet open borders and appropriate policies in place to monitor who's coming into the country, but when academics, theologians, regular dudes, MRA racers and the like have shit like this happen to them with little recourse to correct the obvious problem how can you not get angry and say WTF?

US GOV'T: "sorry, we can't let you back in, your work visa expired after you lost your job after your horrific accident."

CANADIAN CITIZEN: "but i was in a coma, fighting for my life."

US GOV'T: "that's not really our problem."....."next...."

Senior Member Expert
    US GOV'T: "sorry, we can't let you back in, your work visa expired after you lost your job after your horrific accident."

CANADIAN CITIZEN: "but i was in a coma, fighting for my life."

US GOV'T: "that's not really our problem."....."next...."

Illegal Alien: "I'm here to have an anchor baby, and get lots of free things the Canadian Citizen paid US taxes for but didn't recieve."

US Govt: Come on in.
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    Spidey contact me via PM. I can help you with shipping and transportation. :cry: :cry:
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr

If he were coming from the other border he wouldnt need one.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    Dayum Bob!!!!! :shock: Let me know if you need anything, meng! I have buddies in Toronto that could help get stuff over the border for you if we drove there (I have no passport)

Senior Member Amateur 1ofTheBoys's Avatar
    Bob,

Your post was so hard to read. I'm sorry to hear this. What part of Canada are you in? My company has quite a few offices in Canada and I know the the top people up there. If we can get you working for the company and then transfer you to our Colorado offices.....I will call our Canada office and see what I can do.

PM me with your contact information and any other information I may need.
    Sheila Paul - Instructor
    Texas Tornado Boot Camp

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil
    Are there any options? or only getting a job here in your field (with out an in person interview) ?????
    I'm trying to find that out. I have an 8AM phone call tomorrow morning with an immigration attorney that specializes in this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by polar x
    Spidey contact me via PM. I can help you with shipping and transportation. :cry: :cry:
    PM sent. Thanks :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by 420
    Let me know if you need anything, meng! I have buddies in Toronto that could help get stuff over the border for you if we drove there (I have no passport)
    Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofTheBoys
    What part of Canada are you in? My company has quite a few offices in Canada and I know the the top people up there. If we can get you working for the company and then transfer you to our Colorado offices.....I will call our Canada office and see what I can do.

PM me with your contact information and any other information I may need.
    Thanks Sheila! PM sent. I really hope something pans out soon!
    Bob - #46

Senior Member Amateur
    Bob,

I think we have a position open that you might fit here at my company. Can you email me your resume and I will see what I can do? Feel free to also PM me or call me.
    clowe@meetingone.com.

Thanks,

Crash

Thanks Crash! Email sent! 8)
    Bob - #46

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 420
    ...I have no passport
    Boy, there's the shocker of the year! :shock:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

UPDATE...

After speaking to an immigration attorney, I decided to try having a friend drive me across the border (he only lives an hour away), so I could plead my case to an immigration officer there. If I got in, he would take me to Plattsburgh, where I would catch a bus to New York city, then jump on a plane back to Denver. If I didn't get in, I'd have a ride back "home".

It was a long and stressful wait at the border, but as luck would have it, I was fortunate enough to be assigned to an immigration officer, who, perhaps because he was a (former?) motorcyclist, was sympathetic, and gave me until March 1st to get my things in order, pack up, & drive my stuff back to Canada.... or find a job. After 28 or so hours of driving, waiting, bussing, waiting some more, & flying, I got into Denver yesterday evening.

I have a lot of stuff to do in a short period of time, but I should be at the General Meeting tomorrow night.
    Bob - #46

Senior Member Amateur
    Sweet! Welcome back! We aint gonna let you out of the country again!
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Senior Member Amateur
    Speak for yourself, I hate canadians!!! :x

Senior Member Expert
    Yeah! To quote the Prophets Stone and Parker. "Blame Canada!" Better watch out for "Team America, World Police." They'll come for you tonight!!!

Seriously, though, Teri and I are looking forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Any luck with the job search???
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Quote Originally Posted by froth
    Any luck with the job search???
    Nothing yet, :| tho I would like thank those individuals that are trying to help me in this matter.
    Bob - #46

Senior Member Expert
    What do you do, Spidey? Sorry if I knew before, but I do have brain damage, so remembering is not my forte.
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast