Thread: 2008 Racer Sponsorship/Dunlop Tires

Senior Member Expert

2008 Racer Sponsorship/Dunlop Tires

2008 Wheel Works/Dunlop Tires Racer Support Program

For the 2008 MRA race season, I will be running the Dunlop Tire program trackside. I recently left Motoczysz because my family lives here in Colorado and were unable to relocate to Oregon. I learned alot while there and hope to bring some of this knowledge to my friends with the MRA.

I will be at all MRA events including additional track days/practice days at PMI, Hastings, and HPR with the Dunlop trailer.

The Dunlop distributor has said that NTec Tires will be available for the 2008 season. I ran a set of them at PIR with OMRRA while living in Oregon, and they are an awesome product.

Offered this year will be a 3 tier system for Wheel Works sponsored Dunlop riders. Levels will be A/B/C.

Your level will be determined on several factors which will include:

Representation and promotion of the product by the rider
    Previous season results
    Current season race results.

So whether you are a top 5 veteran racer with points from last year or a new novice you have control of the level of a rider support you get, whether it be with past results, current results as you proceed through the 08 year as we can evaluate your level during the season and will move you up if you merit it, or how well you represent the product and show a professional and friendly atmosphere around your race program.

All 3 levels of Wheel Works sponsored Dunlop riders will receive special pricing on parts and accessories bought through any of Wheel Works Vendors that include:

Parts Unlimited
    Tucker Rocky
    Woodcraft
    Vortex
    FERODO Brakes
    Repsol Oils

Sponsored Dunlop Riders will receive custom embroidered Pit shirts made by www.MOTOWEAR.com

Please send resumes to:

Ben Fox
    8485 Cow Palace Rd.
    Peyton, CO. 80831

I will be at the MRA Banquet this coming weekend and can accept your resume at that time as well and can chat about what we can do for you for the upcoming season.

Thanks, and Good Luck in 2008!
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Woo hoo! Good to have you back in the MRA Ben!

Senior Member Expert
    Dam I never would have turned Dunlop down if I knew you were going to be the Dunlop guy out here Ben :cry:

Glad you are back!

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks Brad...and thanks for the grammar correction advice :P ..

Thanks Clarkie, you can still run them, we haven't started racing yet Give me a call. Hey by the way, I'd like to be the first person to congratulate you on the MRA #1 plate, well maybe the second, Im sure someone's said it before me.... It's takes one great rider to be able win that plate within a year of moving to colorado and racing with the MRA!!!! Excellant work, you earned it.

Next season will be good. I can't wait.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks Ben! Not a lot of people outside my crew congratulating me, but to be honest I didnt expect anything different :lol:

Unfortuneately I am all signed up for 08, but I talked long and hard with Dennis Smith about a deal that included both CO and UT, trust me it was a tough deal to turn down as I know how good the new N-Tec's are 8)

Welcome home Ben! It will be great to have you at the track this year! I for one will need your help!

Clarkie - Sorry if I hadn't told you yet! But CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Second Ray Ray's words.

Congrats Clarkie, well done!

Welcome Home Big Ben!! Very good to have you back where you belong! Sorry about the job not going all the way, but hey, you've always got us.

Fred
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    Welcome back, and and congratulations on the tire gig.

( If you need a shagged Pirelli to help bolster sales, I have plenty. )
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    Welcome back, and and congratulations on the tire gig.

( If you need a shagged Pirelli to help bolster sales, I have plenty. )
    #-o thats funny

Senior Member Expert
    I never sat that damn tire out there but glad to see that guy gone. I have never ever seen someone do so little with such an opportunity. I've ran the N-tecs before this year, ( that's right, they were available last year as well) and there longevity is pretty damn impressive.
    Welcome home Ben and I hope you've got the new bike?

Senior Member Expert
    I wasn't really fond of the "other" guy either. I'm looking forward to being able to drive through the pits when I arrive late at night at Pueblo and not have to do an obsticle course!

Ben- again, welcome back! Lincoln and I were just looking at the Poster of the bike. Will it ever see the track???
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert

Race Resumes

Rinnnnngggg, rinnnnggggg.....

"hello"

"what's up dude, hey man I was wondering about the tire sponsorship, can I just email you my resume man?... I don't have time to mail it"

"uhhh....not really, I'd prefer a resume in hard form mailed to me"

"ohhh....ok, well I'll see if I can get around to that."

"ok, thanks"

So far I have recieved about 9 resumes. all of which are varying in form of how they were sent. Some in bound folders, some printed out on plain white paper, some including a race pic, some not..

There's no real set structure for what you have to send. But I need it sent on paper in the mail.

I'm old school when it comes to things like that. email, fax, texting, just doesn't show that your willing to put a whole lot of effort into it. And that says a lot to me and others who are trying to set something up to help displace the cost of racing.

Here's an example of what I personally have done in the past for my own race resume's. I am not saying this is totally the right way or the way I want to see it from you but it's a start.

First I'd go to office depot and buy the best resume paper you can get, it'll cost you maybe $12.

I'd get the special resume folders that mathced the paper mill of the resume paper I'd buy to put the resumes in.

I'd also buy the large manilla envelopes for mailing. I would never fold my resumes. This is also good for putting in a 8x10 race pic of yourself or your team.

In my resume pack I would send a cover letter that would declare who I was, what I was doing, and what I was planning on doing.

I'd also include a copy of my career resume as well, this is totally optional on your part, I'd only do it so the potential sponsor could get a feel for who "I am" and it also helps with networking as there may be something you do for a living that the potential sponsor might find interesting or helpful in some way that it parrallels his business.

My race resume would include a list of anything race, riding, motorcycle, sports, fitness training, or industry related info that I could put on it. It would also include past and present sponsors. Your potential sponsor wants to know who else your promoting as it may be something that sparks his interest as well.

You don't have to be an ROR #1 plate holder, don't be embarrased by putting down you finished 25th in nov o your first 2 years. That is not the most important thing.

What I look for is a professional presentation that shows "Heart" and a willingness to form a partnership.

While your doing this, you should be making up multiple copies and sending them off to companies like Ferodo brakes, and EBC, Motul Oils, etc....

Don't expect free product your first season with being sponsored by them, but I can tell you this much, from 1999 through 2003 I was sending in resumes and sending year end reports of my race efforts, and there where several companies that were giving me upwards of $700 worth of free product for a race season. And I certainly was never a Shane Turpin or Aaron Clark. So that goes to show you that it's not always about the results, It's how you present yourself and your follow up.

One other thing I would not reccomend doing is calling up a potential sponsor before he has even gotten your resume and telling him what pricing you can buy the same product he is selling elsewhere and wondering if he can match that or not. This does not bode well.

BTW Corner One Racing, sent in a real nice resume for their team. Thanks guys.

Ben
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Damn effin Ben,

Welcome to 2008. :P
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg

glenngsxr
    Yeah Ben,
    Do people even use paper anymore?

Senior Member Expert
    2008...?

I thought it was 1978...maybe that's why I got this effed up haircut... :roll:

Hold on let me teleport to '08.....

Ok, I texting someone on my iPHone while listening to my fav's on my iPod, surfing the net on my blackberry, and letting a GPS unit direct me to the closet starbucks that 6 blocks away from my house(out in effin Peyton) so I can order an $11 dollar half cafe decaf latte mochachino with a twist of lemon topped with whip cream and sprinkels of cinnamon, Oh wait my effin hybrid car just stalled because it ran out of effin hydrogen and I can't plug it in to electric because there's no 220 outlets along highway 24. I guess I'll sit in the back seat watching kids movies on the headrest DVD players until the tow truck gets here. I hope that effer gets here soon I don't have any SPF 2600 sunblock to save me from the sun that's warming the earth to the point that were all gonna be riding sailboats like Kevin Costner in Waterworld instead of motorcycles.

Eff me 08 is hard times. :shock:
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Just FYI there are companies that I have received a response from saying they are only accepting electronic submissions. Why they sent me a hard copy response to my hard copy resume saying they only respond to electronic resumes is beyond me, but...

Anyway, my resume is on the way Ben.

Senior Member Amateur
    Ben - Will non-sponsored riders be able to buy fresh Dunlops trackside, or does one need to be "on the team"?

Senior Member Expert
    all race sponsorship is on an individual basis, you can send in a group of resumes as a team, but everyone will be placed individually in their level of help.

Hope that answers your question.

Woops....I spilled my starbucks mochachino on my crotch. as I was replying to this on my iPhone while driving... Good thing I have my handy tire temp gauge with me so i can see if the coffee was hot enough for a mild 3rd degree burn so I can sue starbucks for 74 million dollars in damages for pain and suffering. Looks like my race season is going to be pretty well funded this year.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Ok, I texting someone on my iPHone while listening to my fav's on my iPod, surfing the net on my blackberry, and letting a GPS unit direct me to the closet starbucks that 6 blocks away from my house(out in effin Peyton) so I can order an $11 dollar half cafe decaf latte mochachino with a twist of lemon topped with whip cream and sprinkels of cinnamon, Oh wait my effin hybrid car just stalled because it ran out of effin hydrogen and I can't plug it in to electric because there's no 220 outlets along highway 24. I guess I'll sit in the back seat watching kids movies on the headrest DVD players until the tow truck gets here. I hope that effer gets here soon I don't have any SPF 2600 sunblock to save me from the sun that's warming the earth to the point that were all gonna be riding sailboats like Kevin Costner in Waterworld instead of motorcycles.
    CLASSIC!! :lol:
    "If you always do what you have always done; you will always get what you have always got."