Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gate fee's???

Senior Member Amateur

Gate fee's???

Since we are racing sprints on saturday, is the club going to charge gate fee on saturday also?
    IF so, will the crew passes be good for both days?

Senior Member Amateur
    I asked the same question about a week ago, I think they're ignoring us 00--00

Senior Member Expert
    Nah, we just haven't decided yet how this will be handled.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    Being an ex-MRA racer, could I get in free? A discount?
    Actually, I don't mind paying the gate fee. I know my money is going to a good cause.
    Here is an idea for us MRA race fans, $10 each day or buy an all weekend pass for $15 each person. Kids 12 and under free or discounted.
    03 Yamaha WR250F
    DARC Racing
    Faster Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Here's an idea. Go for sheer numbers, promote the living crap out of the event and try and make it the biggest damn thing since sliced bread. The MRA has done very little promotion in recent years and I for one volunteer to try and get the word out. Between Auto and Motorcycle dealers, Auto parts stores, resturants, radio and Friday newspapers, I'd bet we could triple the number of spectators we have show up. In a recent RRW article Henry Degough (Sp?) was interviewed about how he got people to the track and the success he'd had beating on a few doors and etc. The club due to it's declining membership and etc. has forgone alot of what we've had in recent years. Hell, rememeber Mark Woodward the MileHigh mouth? His professionalism made stars out of us racers and added alot to the program. You get the people to the track then you give them a show they won't soon forget all for $10 per adult kids under 12 free. I assure you they'll be back. Hell ARHMA's get 40,000+ people to Mid Ohio every year to watch old beat up bikes run around. The annoucing plays a huge roll and though Jim and Tony are great guys I think we can agree there maybe better. Sorry Jim and Tony but hey how about some new jokes? Just kidding but yes I would and will stick my neck out on a limb and say that I alone with a few friends truly beleive we could do better but $15 is a bit steep in my opinion to have to sit through the Sportsman class.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    We're discussing this in the Board forum, and will have an answer here shortly.

Most likely it will be a single fee for the weekend, regardless of which day you arrive. We'll have to go back to "religious use" of armbands which everyone will have to wear (racers too) so we know who has paid/or had their card punched and not have too much brain damage for the gate staff.

I'm all for growing the specator numbers, but radio and print advertising are way more expensive than you all probably think. If anyone would like to take this on and get us (the board) some solid proposals and costs - we would welcome any information you can provide. Remember, though, that with increased specators comes the need for additional security - and the minimal additional revenue generated thru gate fees would have to balance out in the long run. Info cards to be left at restaurants, dealers, etc... would be much less expensive - and probably more effective - so if we could get some help distributing them, that would probably be the most cost-effective route.

Jim and I have often stated that we make up for a lack of talent by providing reliable data - especially with regard to lap times and "gaps" between racers. For what it's worth, the MRA used to spend over $500 a weekend to have the races announced (when there were two announcers) and that was ONLY for the Sunday races. I already get paid as the VP of the club, so would never consider "double dipping" to announce - and good 'ole Mr. Brewer has never asked for a penny for his services, even with announcing the races on both Saturday and Sunday.

Clearly you get what you pay for. ops:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Just as an aside:

Are you guys able to share how much $ does the gate fee bring in on average per weekend? (if not, no big deal - I am just curious)

Obviously there is a diminishing returns if gate fees were lowered (eg: 50% gate fee but expected 200% spectator turnout), but do we have the data to look year over year the average spectator turnout to do a quick correlation between "current events" (economy, track location, etc) and spectator turnout?

Here is another question:

What if spectating was free? How would that impact the club financially?
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

glenngsxr
    FWIW,
    I have offered to do a lot of print advertising and radio advertising because I have hookups in both areas, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. It seems like our best spectator weekend is the opening weekend at Pueblo. After that, it falls off drastically. Of course, the price elasticity of attendance is directly correlated to economic conditions. I imagine the spectator turnout will be even lower this year if we raise the gate fee. In addition, it seems as if most of our spectators are family and pit help rather than actual spectators. Maybe if we had a huge banner made with some graphics that we could put outside the main road where we are racing that weekend could we get some passer bys. I think our biggest problem with attendance is the fact that most people don't even know we are racing, or exist for that matter. However, if the board is still interested in doing some of this advertising, the offer still stands. As far as the weekend gate fees goes, I think $5 each day or $8 for a weekend pass would be a good idea. any thoughts? Glenn#62

Senior Member Amateur
    just some random thoughts here:

what if you had a "family pass" gate option. like a family pass is $35 and gets 1 veichle in the door. say your avg car might be able to hold 5 or 6, but this makes an incentive for motorcycle racing to be a social event where you hang out with your friends and so forth.

or perhaps a discount if they show up on a bike. like half the gate fee. the idea here would be its ppl who already ride (and it might inspire them to join and race their bike).

if one more racer joins the club and races 10 times thats worth 300 ppl coming in to spectate.

sheet peter-man. i'm talking out my ass. i'll go back to watching channell 9
    Justin Meyer

glenngsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by turbohoje
    just some random thoughts here:

what if you had a "family pass" gate option. like a family pass is $35 and gets 1 veichle in the door. say your avg car might be able to hold 5 or 6, but this makes an incentive for motorcycle racing to be a social event where you hang out with your friends and so forth.

or perhaps a discount if they show up on a bike. like half the gate fee. the idea here would be its ppl who already ride (and it might inspire them to join and race their bike).

if one more racer joins the club and races 10 times thats worth 300 ppl coming in to spectate.

sheet peter-man. i'm talking out my ass. i'll go back to watching channell 9
    Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard what you just said(Billy Madison). snakes, elk, the interstate, interstellar travel, steel mills, etc. Justin, how goes it?

Senior Member Amateur
    free PR is the way to go instead of spending money on advertising. there must be people in the club who have PR connections or work in the industry. i have a biz associate who is always getting my clients press in outside magazine, 9 news denver, crap like that, all for free. if we have a stock press release to give to these folks, they can get us into magazines (local and national), get local news features on the club, a blurb in westword, that sort of thing. hell, i didn't even know the MRA existed until i started looking for a race bike, and i found the club via a blog post. safe to say, the club could use more exposure. and who wouldn't pay $10 to come get their pelvis shattered and their truck destroyed while standing by the buttonhook if they actually knew about us? now that's entertainment. anybody ever follow up on that guy? is he ok?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin
    . anybody ever follow up on that guy? is he ok?
    Matty is doing much better since the bike landed on him.

In fact the a couple of the motorcycle groups are having a benefit this weekend to help with his medical expenses

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=18375

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    Dave - a "good" weekend is about 300 paid spectators, average is probably closer to 150-200. I think the most we've ever had was a couple of SCR events that drew ~600 people. At $10 per head, the average is roughly the same as the entry fees of 10 racers. Remember that even if we stop charging, we still have to hire the gate staff to make sure people are signing the waivers.

Regarding the advertising - This is a recurring theme, where people say "We (the MRA) should do XYZ" and then complain when it doesn't happen. It's not reasonable to think that simply suggesting something means that the board (or anyone else) is going to take the ball and run. Please remember that the board is made up of volunteers who also have full time jobs, spouses, kids, etc, in addition to their normal MRA duties (that don't come to a halt during the off-season). This is YOUR club, if you really want it to be healthy then it will take a little effort.

If you have ideas, hookups, etc, please USE them. If you have a way to get free advertising done, write up a press release, ad, whatever, and send it to the board, along with a list of people/organizations you want to submit it to, for approval. I can't imagine we'd say no, but we do need to retain some authority over the message that is being sent out to represent the club.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Hey Glenn,
    I'm game to help in any way I can in getting the MRA advertised and will be working on this and throwing some ideas out there. Using other organizations ideas as well as using the local businesses. I've spoken with Jay the manager of Giocomo's and they are happy to offer a discount on food and as we know, we already get a discount on lodging in the area. These businesses plus others are assets and believe we should take advantage of tag teaming.
    I propose a meeting of Glenn Carlson, and others (including myself) to throw around ideas and come up with a solid proposal that we can not only present to the board, but get started on so that we can be in place prior to the first race weekend. Hell, I'll even throw down and buy dinner as I think we can and will make a difference. We've already got the gate people so why not get our moneys worth with them. Of course, we'll have to police them and make sure they are getting the wafers signed, people are paying and etc. But promotion now will only help when the new tracks built.

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks for throwing that out, Jon. The next board meeting is on the 11th of February, if you could have something ready to present by then it would still leave plenty of time for implementation.

Also, if you want, you can forward from preliminary ideas to me and I can put them in from of the board prior to the meeting.
    The GECCO

glenngsxr
    I am game for that, Jon. Where do you live? I live in Parker now so it's a little easier for me to make meetings and such for the club now. Possibly sometime next week would be best for me. Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    I can't imagine we'd say no, but we do need to retain some authority over the message that is being sent out to represent the club.
    That's why i can never do a press release for the MRA :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    ...and why I've been tempted to duct tape your pie hole while you're AT the track! :lol:
    The GECCO

Senior Member Expert
    Regarding the advertising - This is a recurring theme, where people say "We (the MRA) should do XYZ" and then complain when it doesn't happen. It's not reasonable to think that simply suggesting something means that the board (or anyone else) is going to take the ball and run. Please remember that the board is made up of volunteers who also have full time jobs, spouses, kids, etc, in addition to their normal MRA duties (that don't come to a halt during the off-season). This is YOUR club, if you really want it to be healthy then it will take a little effort.

If you have ideas, hookups, etc, please USE them. If you have a way to get free advertising done, write up a press release, ad, whatever, and send it to the board, along with a list of people/organizations you want to submit it to, for approval. I can't imagine we'd say no, but we do need to retain some authority over the message that is being sent out to represent the club.
    As you know I ran for pres based on raising more membership. My thoughts were just what have been presented. But I have to say BS on your reply Glen. You are paid for the position of Pres. And in that capacity it is your responsibility to do what is in the best interest of this club and currently membership should be first and foremost at the top of that list. Again this is my opinion but I think alot of people share it.
    If you were a NON paid volunteer I would agree with you. But you are paid to do a job and as such I think that this is part of it. And please don't take this as an attack against Glen. I am just stating my opinion on his comment.

If we don't get membership up, a new track is not going to do shit for us. When we have no one to race with or can not afford to race due to low membership and high cost.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    ...and why I've been tempted to duct tape your pie hole while you're AT the track! :lol:
    wouldn't be the first time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    Dave - a "good" weekend is about 300 paid spectators, average is probably closer to 150-200. I think the most we've ever had was a couple of SCR events that drew ~600 people.

Pretty sad if you think 600 was the best in recent years.

When I first raced with the MRA at MEAD(CDR) in 98' opening day we had over 3K paid gate fee's...

What happened from then to now?
    ALL other clubs continue to grow as we slowly die away, hoping that the new track will save us, when you, yourself has said that even most of the local dealerships dont even know about the new track being built, How will potental new member know?

What was the membership numbers from 2004-05-06-07?
    in 04' our worst turn out at La junta was probally better then our best turn out last year?

I know the recent events of losing 4 tracks, and the competition from miller, has had a HUGE inpact but nothing has been done to counter-act that, but the club(the paid board members) continues to be reactive, instead of PRO-active when addressing the long term gaols of the club.

BUT really the only thing I was looking for an answer for was, Do our families pay for both days? opr will our crew pass work all weekend?

Senior Member Amateur

If you have ideas, hookups, etc, please USE them. If you have a way to get free advertising done, write up a press release, ad, whatever, and send it to the board,
    ok, fair enough. i've already talked with my friend, and she is happy to do a little trade with me to get some press for the club. as the start of the season approaches, she'll see what rags she can get us some exposure in, or if one of the denver news stations will do a feature on the club.

it seems that there should be more to promoting the club than just some members doing what they can with their connections. having a small marketing budget or at least a marketing plan seems like a logical thing for the club to have if it hasn't had that in the past. it's a good step to get the board formally addressing this.

Senior Member Expert
    Chris!

Hey! You're brilliant! You did in fact run on the platform of raising membership. I would like to preview what you will be able to do as a future president of the MRA. Like I told you, I did vote for you last election.

I see the ton of work Glenn does for the club, the hours of paperwork, the endless CAMA, MRA Board, MRA General, City Council, County Permit, CMSC Meetings he attends, the brainstorming sessions, the "Johnny on the Spot" tasks at the track during race weekends, the daily presence on the forums to answer to the membership, the constant phone calls, I could go on ad nauseum. The pay he receives is probably around $2/hr. at best.

I propose you head up the group I see forming on this thread and mount a strong campaign to get the MRA name out to attract not only new members, but the spectators and cornerworkers that will surely follow!

I'm serious, Chris, we, the Board, can't do it all. We need the members to rally around especially this issue of MRA Advertisement. It's a huge job that no one to this day has successfully accomplished. Are you willing to pony up and put in the serious work it would require?

With all due respect,
    Donna
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Senior Member Amateur
    We all agree advertising is needed. I personaly have called the news station's hotlines before to let them know about upcoming MRA races.

How about a printable MRA "approved" flyer posted up here, that anyone can download, print and hand out?
    I would make one up, but I am not creative enough.
    03 Yamaha WR250F
    DARC Racing
    Faster Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by polar x

As you know I ran for pres based on raising more membership. My thoughts were just what have been presented. But I have to say BS on your reply Glen. You are paid for the position of Pres. And in that capacity it is your responsibility to do what is in the best interest of this club and currently membership should be first and foremost at the top of that list. Again this is my opinion but I think alot of people share it.
    If you were a NON paid volunteer I would agree with you. But you are paid to do a job and as such I think that this is part of it. And please don't take this as an attack against Glen. I am just stating my opinion on his comment.

If we don't get membership up, a new track is not going to do shit for us. When we have no one to race with or can not afford to race due to low membership and high cost.
    Yes, Chris, I am paid to do the job of President, as some other board members are paid to do theirs. Broken down into an hourly rate the figure is so low I'd be embarrassed to print it. None of the position descriptions in the bylaws assigns Public Relations or any other type of advertising duties. The bylaws do, however, charge the board as a whole with creating and overseeing committees that may be necessary to accomplish duties and goals not covered by the duties assigned to the board members. Many, many different variations of PR committes have come and gone since I joined the club. There was only one effort, by a single individual, that I would even describe as serious, the rest seemed to wither away once people realized the hours and effort involved.

We're talking about two different things here - spectator attendance and racer membership. This club would survive without spectators, but we need more racers. The racers went away largely because the tracks went away, I challenge anyone to refute that. The spectators went away because with less racers, there are less people telling their friends to come watch. This club will not survive without a new facility regardless of how good a PR campaign we throw out there. So, what I have done that is in the best interests of this club is try to get us a new track. I started in the fall of 2003, when I was a rider rep and then President Andrew Drattlo appointed me to attend the CMC meetings in his place because the new track part of it would have taken up too much of his time. The creation of CAMA about a year later was the result of the Presidents of the five clubs (that owned the lease at SCR) feeling that the CMC was not the proper legal entity for owning such a valuable asset.

So, to toot my own horn a bit and put things in perspective - In the last four years:

- I've logged a conservative 800 hours on this project, in CAMA and CMC meetings, conference calls and other meetings, and not including the time spent reading and writing literally thousands of emails that can't accurately be accounted for.

- I've spent over $2000 of my own money on fuel driving a little over 16,000 miles to meetings and other activities related to the new track project.

- I've spent about $1200 of my own money on food and beverages while at these meetings, because they almost always happen immediately after work and last for several hours.

- I donated another $1000, mine was literally the first donation received in the CAMA PO box in Phoenix. I also talked my folks into donating $12,000 (the MRA's single largest contributor to date) and they are also putting $50,000 towards the loan program.

So, if you add all that to my "normal" duties that are spelled out in the MRA bylaws, I think the implication that I may not have done enough for this club is nothing short of absurd.

But, back on topic - what was your grand plan to increase membership? Is there some reason that you cannot carry it out? I would suggest you attend the meeting that Jon Glaefke is putting together and volunteer to be the chair of what I suspect will become the PR committee for 2008. Since you will be able to concentrate on nothing but that and not have to deal with the rest of the board issues it should be a terrific success, and I hope for nothing less. Seriously, I do, I would like nothing more than for the club to grow (to a point), but as just one person with a plate that's already pretty full, I can only do so much. The same goes for the rest of the board. We need help, we need the members to get involved instead of sitting back and pointing out the work that needs to be done.
    The GECCO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast