Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMP update from Jay Gilman

Senior Member Expert

PMP update from Jay Gilman

From a statement issued by Jay Gilman:

Dec 3, 2007 PMP - Plans Roadcourse Upgrades
    PMP General Manager Jay Gilman announced today-

PMP will make some changes to the roadcourse configuration for 2008. Turn 10 will be changed to a 90 degree right hand turn by moving the apex of the turn some 60 feet to the south of the existing apex. This change will negate NHRA's requirement that the concrete walls be moved into the edge of the straightaway as was originally mandated by June 2009. Martyn Thake of Motorsports Consulting reviewed the track late in the summer and this was one of his recommendations for the track's improvement.

Other suggestions dealt with corner station placement, additional curbs, and the pit-on road.

PMP will undertake resurfacing from the exit of turn 9 into turn 10 and moving the dragstrip burnout box further downtrack to minimize varying track surfaces that upset roadrace vehicle suspensions.

Other changes will include moving the berm before turn 8 back some distance and installing gravel runoffs at turns 8 and 10. The pit on access will be widened and a merge lane painted to prevent a potential problem with racers accelerating onto the track and those coming down the main straightaway at speed.

Thank you for your support of PMP.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    woot !! Cant wait to see it done ....

Senior Member Amateur
    Wow, this sounds like it should make some good improvements!

Senior Member Amateur
    for turn 10, does that mean that the cones will be moved more like a 90 and that section of the track will be resurfaced? or will something be laid down (like a skirt or paint or something) that more or less defines the turn w/o cones.
    Justin Meyer

Senior Member Expert
    So this will mean that since it is a reconfigured track, there will be a new lap record set by the fastest person to complate the first lap of the first race of the year, depending on the race schedule this could mean a novice could 'officially' have the lap record 8)

Senior Member Expert
    maybe they can put in a curb instead of using the cones. just clean it up a bit. and while they are at it, curbs in turn 9 would be super nice too. just my opinion but an inside curb and extending the curb on the exit would help that section ALOT.
    Casey D

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    So this will mean that since it is a reconfigured track, there will be a new lap record set by the fastest person to complate the first lap of the first race of the year, depending on the race schedule this could mean a novice could 'officially' have the lap record 8)
    LWGP is first race.

Unless you count endurance...

Senior Member Amateur
    I have no sense of direction, so is 60ft south closer to the tower's current location or father away?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cu260r6
    I have no sense of direction, so is 60ft south closer to the tower's current location or father away?
    further... in effect potentially lengthens the straight a bit

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cu260r6
    It's further away. The end result is that the road course through there will be somewhat narrower, will stay to the left longer approaching T10, and T10 will have a much smaller radius (ie, a sharper turn). This should make for another passing zone under braking. As it is now, you have to beat someone pretty badly in order to pass going into T10.

This will make the front straight slightly longer, but you'll carry much less momentum going into it. Based on other testing, this will add 2-5 seconds to the lap times depending on the rider and how much HP the bike has.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    can someone give us an example using this pic
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    i meant an example of how it "will" be. not how it is now.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    As viewed from above...the new pavement will be outside the dashed line in the second drawing

The GECCO

Senior Member Expert
    hmmm......... i am going to need more hp ](*,)

Senior Member Expert
    hmmm......... i am going to need more hp ](*,)
    Just think of it this way - now you have more straight away for that 1000cc cheater bike!

Senior Member Expert
    you mean 1200 right? no way a SS bike let alone a 1000cc bike can keep up with a stroker R1 :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    you mean 1200 right? no way a SS bike let alone a 1000cc bike can keep up with a stroker R1 :lol:
    I knew it!

Damn cheater.

Senior Member Amateur
    thanks dave, i almost spit out my drink with the example.
    for real LOL
    Justin Meyer

Senior Member Expert
    so is the new pavement from the doted line to the left or from the line to the right?

Senior Member Expert
    That example is what i was picturing in my head... but as casey said, is it going to just be cones out in the middle of nowhere? or is there going to be some sort of soft break in track surface? (ie the PPIR yellow banana!!!)

and also... will this give us the ability to run in the rain?

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    They are only putting down new pavement outside the dashed lines in the drawing, this will delineate the roadcourse. I don't know yet if there will be any curbing or anything on the inside edge of the new pavement.

This will not make it possible to run in the rain. The slick part of the track will still be there, this change will simply mean you are going over it upright (at WOT) as opposed to going over it while transitioning from nearly full lean to upright while accelerating.

But, anyone who watched Applesauce highside a stock SV650 while upright and accelerating over the slick stuff knows it still won't be safe in the rain.
    The GECCO

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO

This will not make it possible to run in the rain.

But, anyone who watched Applesauce highside a stock SV650 while upright and accelerating over the slick stuff knows it still won't be safe in the rain.
    I second that!! Both parts: Possible to run in the rain, but i saw Mike's crash, and ..............yeah!

I'm in though! It will be just as slick for one guy, as it is for the next guy! 8) 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    This will not make it possible to run in the rain. The slick part of the track will still be there, this change will simply mean you are going over it upright (at WOT) as opposed to going over it while transitioning from nearly full lean to upright while accelerating.
    Everyone knows SV650s don't accelerate. We simply refuse to slow down!

( And, for the record, Mike and I were catching those pesky 600s. The fact that it was snowing was only helping our cause. )

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    I call

I was able to get through there just fine on my Ape w/slicks during the same rainstorm. With apologies to Mike, I don't think it was 100% the track's fault.

I think we need to reassess the surface before making a decision that it's not good enough for a wet race. From what it looks like, we won't be going anywhere near the nasty areas.

If not, what would it take to allow us to race in the rain there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast