Thread: off-road boots???

Senior Member Amateur

off-road boots???

what does everyone have and love..

looking at either..

Sidi crossfire, but large price tag..
    Alpinestar tech 10's..again price
    Oxtar TCX Pro, good price, (retail for 395, but online clearence best price at 219) but reviews states that they are stiff forever but offer the best protection of any boot...skip the bootie insert and get the comp model for 150?

anyothers I should look at?

Senior Member Amateur
    JA!!!

They are your ankles, don't worry about the price. But the ones that offer the best protection for you. Come on Frank, you know better than that!

But, you should also look at Set-up. They are made in the same factory as the Sidi but are branded under another name. They are what I use.

Don't be cheap because you are getting old! hehe

Senior Member Expert
    For what it's worth. I still have my origional pair of A-Stars, Hi-Point (1974). They don't fit, but are still perfectly servicable. I rode AXO Super Turbos years ago, and they didn't have enough ankle support for my tastes. I've got another pair of 'Stars, and still like them. I go for a fairly stiff anks, so that may limit mobility to some extent, but concidering I've broken several other things, but never a broken ankle, I use the stiff sidewalls of my Alpine Stars.

Hope that helps.
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Amateur
    ive had a pair of sidi's for 3 years. they still seem as stiff as the day i got them. imho you shouldn't skimp on the safety equipment, especially on dirt bikes. the price tag only hurts once. get some asterisk braces while you are at it.

i have a gnarly foot from getting speared in some astar tech8's. this was many many years ago, but the astars would feel like a shoe after a season of rampart riding and getting them wet regularly. i recall some top of the foot blisters from shifting. i dont have the same abuse on my sidi's so its not totally fair to say, but i think they are a better boot.
    Justin Meyer

Senior Member Expert
    You know what I have (tech's) and they are like ski boots. BUT that gives me the best ankle protection and that is more important to me than price or walking around in the damn things.

I am with Crash and Justin on this one, step up and spend the money once for the best protection you can get. They should last for a very long time with as much as you (and me ops: ) ride.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Amateur
    I am not planning on sKimping on equipment, I just beleive at some point your just paying for the name and not really any better equipment.
    I had 2 set of A-stars in the past, the last set was a pair of GP-techs,
    Both pair have been the ABSOLUTLY worst pair of boots I have ever had, The GP tech were sent back twice for repair on workmanship and still ended up falling apart, the inner liners fell apart and the zippers SUCKED!

Like Crash said the Set-ups are another brandname under SiDi in the middle of the product lineup and about 1/2 the price for the same level boot under the SiDi name, so do you get more for paying more? not really...

end of the story is I want a Great boot at a great price and I dont beleive you need a name brand to get that, I was just lloking for other options for the level of boots I first talked about...

Senior Member Expert
    Frank:

Let me know what you decide on, I'd like to take a peak at them. It sounjds like you very well may be on to something, and yes, I can be a cheap ******d if it's worth it!

My A Star zipper needs repair, too. Any one know who can fix???

Geeze, I can't wait to ride again!
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    I have the SIDI Force, predecessor to the Crossfires, very nice boot, replaceable sole including Supermoto. They were on sale closeouts at $275 if you can find anyone who still has some they are well worth it.

http://www.dirtrider.net/drn_tested/...force_srs.html
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Member Amateur
    I have a rebuilt ankle with pins and plates on the right side. The A-Stars with the bootie hurt like hades to put on. I decided to get the SIDI Crossfires and haven't looked back. Even when I jump wrong - which is often - the boots support me. I took a pretty hard tumble and got my right foot stuck under the bike ... thinking for sure I would be re-injured.... but nothing was wrong. I caught my breath and saddled back up. SIDI's are definitely the ticket for me.
    I even posted an article about them.

Kurt
    www.vonconcepts.com
    Free Ezine At www.vonconcepts.com

Von Ahnen Design & PR
    http://vadpr.com
    505-217-2497