Thread: $6 windscreen

$6 windscreen

wish i could take credit for it, but i picked up this idea from the usgpru forums. it costs $11 a sheet and you can order by the sheet. i ordered 5 and with shipping i paid $66 and they arrived in two days

http://www.mcmaster.com/
    part number 8574K19

my arts and crafts skills end at safety scissors and macaroni art and even i made this look decent. the sheeting comes in 2ftx2ft sheets and for my bike i can make two screens per sheet. i think on the larger bikes where you have more fairing to hide behind you may be able to get four screens out of a sheet (i sized a sheet up next to my 748 and it was way smaller than my 125 screen)

you can cut the sheeting with regular scissors and i used a cheap stepped bit from harbor freight to make the holes for mounting. you can use regular fasteners or go to lowes and use the 1/4in automotive fasteners like i have in the pix. total time to make the screen was about 15 minutes

the guys who originally had the idea said the screens are more resilient than the store bought screens in a crash cause the just bend and bend back instead of crack, and for the money you can just cut out another one if you scuff these up too much.

Senior Member Expert
    how did you get the pattern drawn? did you just hold up the whole sheet and draw it, was there room for that?

great idea. thanks
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

first i cut the sheet in 1/2 and then i just held my old beat up screen as close as possible to the sheeting and traced it out. you could trace it up against your fairing though. just as you mock it up, figure how much of a bubble you want to be behind. and as cheap as it is, if you mess one up, toss it :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    thats kinda cool. might not be supersport legal though.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25
    thats kinda cool. might not be supersport legal though.
    are the rules that strict for supersport(i haven't read the rules for that class yet)? what about the other classes?

Senior Member Expert
    for supersport the windscreen would need to be OEM shape.
    Double bubble type wind screens are not allowed. i guess if you could cut one of these close to OEM it wouldnt be a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25
    for supersport the windscreen would need to be OEM shape.
    Double bubble type wind screens are not allowed. i guess if you could cut one of these close to OEM it wouldnt be a big deal
    i would think with the subtle differences in the aftermarket windscreens you could make that argument succesfully. what does our new vp of tech thinks?

as a side thought, what defines aftermarket oem. if anyone with a tax id # sold a stencil on a sheet as an aftermarket oem windscreen, would that make it SS legal if the dimensions were equivalent?

Senior Member Expert
    As long as the dimensions and shape are the same as what came on the bike off the floor, it's legal. If it has an extra bubble in the middle, that isn't SS legal unless the manufacturer put one there too.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Member Novice
    Back from the dead for posterity because I'm doing this to my TZ250. I'll post pics when I'm done.

EDIT:
    In another thread marty said he went with a thicker sheet, .06"

So I ordered:
    P/N 8574K19 24"x24" .04" thickness
    P/N 8574K51 24"x24" 1/16" (.0625") thickness

I'll try both & see which works better.
    Last edited by Titus; June 15th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Junior Member Novice JohnSchwaderer's Avatar
    I'm curious to know which worked better? I have some plexiglass laying around and I'm thinking 1/16" is the better way to go.