Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Bob update

Senior Member Expert

Spider Bob update

Many of you already know about Bob's medical condition. He was pretty beat up in the T8 crash during AmU.

Currently he is medically sedated. As of this morning they plan to continue having him "under" and don't have an eta as to when that will change

They also plan on completing a scheduled MRI and Cat scan today

It is my understanding that Bob should be able to fully recover from his injuries, however will have a long rehab infront of him.

I will update as I know more....any questions let me know

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he will fully recover. He is in our thoughts.

Senior Member Amateur
    Get well soon, Spider-Bob!
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Senior Member Expert
    Weekend Bob update:

The hospital plans on installing the trach and feeding tube this morning. However, they plan to leave him sedated until his lungs and ribs have had a chance to heal and it is more comfortable for him to breath on his own.

I have also been in contact with his brother and mother. They wanted to express there thanks to everyone down here that are helping and donating money. They are actually suprised that we as a group are helping as much as we are.

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Amateur
    I was glad to donate $$$ today to help!! Insurace only goes so far, and if I was in Bob's place, I'd hope for a little extra help too.

I saw his messed-up bike as it was hauled past my pit, and thought "Ooohh Shit!!"

Get well Spider Bob !!
    Tom Erickson #625
    RACE TECH, LP Racing, GoPro, Acerbis, Silkolene, Luttrell Family, Vortex, Kinesys Sunsreen, Yoshimura

Senior Member Expert
    Monday update.

Bob's condition really hasn't changed. The hospital was able to put the trach and feeding tube in over the weekend.

Currently they are going to keep him sedated for some time without any clear idea of when he will be concious

Joe

Senior Member Expert
    I spoke with the hospital this morning.

Bob is pretty much same. All things cnsidered he is doing pretty well.

Other than that I really don't have too many new details

Joe

Senior Member Expert
    Are they with holding info to non family members? Seems like after all this time something would be changing or a plan would be in motion...

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil
    Are they with holding info to non family members? Seems like after all this time something would be changing or a plan would be in motion...
    Not much is changing, actually. He's sedated to give his body time to heal and "reset", and because of his injuries it could be a long process.

Having things stay the same right now is actually a good thing, in that he's stable and doing what he needs to do. I believe the plan is to keep that going like it is for now.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Joe IS the family at this point.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    Because Bob's family is outside of the USA and Joe was listed as the "in case of emergency" contact - Joe is the only person that the hospital will release information to.

Having been in a situation involving multiple broken ribs (I once broke 4 ribs in 9 places) I can tell you that one of the main concerns if the patient is conscious is that the pain from breathing causes the patient to breathe shallow. This shallow breathing doesn't sufficiently "clear out" all the little nooks and crannies in the lungs and can quickly lead to pneumonia. The injuries to Bob's ribs and lungs are worse than mine were, obviously, and I'm assuming they are keeping him sedated so that he can breathe fully to prevent further lung complications.

So, it seems the plan is "let him heal in comfort" and nothing more. Given the types of injuries he has it seems appropriate. There really isn't much more they can do, he just needs time.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks guys... Im really pulling for him...

Senior Member Expert
    Guys,

Yes Glen and Ralphs responses are correct. The overall plan is too allow Bob to heal in comfort.

As I have mentioned in the past, he doesn't have any injuries that are life threatening or could diminish is long term capacity for life. However, the trama he sustained was pretty great. As such, he will have a pretty long road of rehad in his future.

It is also important to note that I have been intentionally vague as to the laundry list of injuries and there potential outcomes for few reasons. They all surround Bob's personal privacy. Since this is an open internet forum I can't guarentee who is reading the information and what conculusions they will jump too. I am sure that when Bob is more aware of the situation he will be happy to share the list of injuries, however I feel that is his decision and not mine.

At the begining of the season Bob asked me to be the emergency contact in case something happened. As noted by Glenn, Bob's family is in Canada. I have been in communication with them ( and with Ralph and Terri's help) we are working on action plans to help Bob with his short and long term future

So hopefully I have answered or address any concerns that anyone may have. However, please feel free to PM me (or Ralph) should you need something or wish to help with Bob's recovery.

Also please remember that we are holding a benefit track day to help Bob with his expenses. Everyone's participation would be greatly appreciated

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=5017

Joe

Joe, I know this is random, but is there any talk or possibility of him being moved up to a hospital in Denver where he can be closer to those who are "family" to him and all the friends he values so much?
    Gene, you will be forever missed. RIP

Senior Member Expert
    Finally some positive news to share

We went down to the hospital to check in on Bob.

He is awake and responsive to his surroundings, he even through us the shocker!. He is currently breathing on his own, albiet via the trach tube. The hope is that Bob will continue breathing on his own through out the remainder of the weekend. Should this be the case they plan on changing is trach to a style that will allow him to be able to speak.

Once this happens he will be transfered to a Denver long term acute rehab hospital. The hope is the transfer will be on Tuesday, however that is still a little up in the air

As of our meeting with the ICU staff today, they have requested that we NOT flood the hospital with visitors. Therefore, he is still not accepting vistors. However, after the transfer we hope that will change.

Any questions please let me know via PM

Joe

glenngsxr
    sweet. that is somewhat of a relief to hear. Glenn #62

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks for the regular updates, Joe.

Senior Member Expert
    Oh man thats amazing news !!

Senior Member Amateur
    Thats great to hear. Keep up the good work bob. We are all pullin for you.
    mra #115
    07 CBR 600 RR
    09 Ninja 250

Senior Member Expert
    Was able to see Bob yesterday

He is becoming more aware of his surroundings as the medication begins to wear off. So things seem to be progressing very well

The plan is to transfer him to Denver this week. I will let everyone know the new hospital's process and information when I know

Joe

Member Novice
    Just heard the news today, sorry to hear it Bob, get well.

Thanks for the updates Joe. You guys take care!

Senior Member Expert
    Good news and Bad news

Good news:

Bob was transfered to Denver yesterday. Currently he has begun the process of rehabilitation. He, with time, will recover from his injuries. He is awake and aware and breathing on his own. Due to his trach, he is not able to speak yet...but that should change hopefully in the next few days

Bad news:

Bob is still not really in a position to see visitors. I have told him I will not announce the hospital or the visting hours until he tells me he is up for it . So again, I ask that everyone respect his privacy and let him heal up with a little bit of peace.

Any questions please let me know

Joe

Senior Member Expert
    Tell him Otis and I say, "Hi, we think of him often, and wish him well ASAP!"

Thanks Joe!!
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Re: Spider Bob update

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing
    It is my understanding that Bob ... will have a long rehab infront of him.
    Screw that! I may not be 100% (or even close to it), but I'm too well to be here (these are the words of several of the staff here!). They are currently talking about sending me as early as this weekend, or early next week.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, prayers, donations & offers for help! Words cannot even begin to describe how touched I am!
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Amateur
    Thats great news Bob. I hope you heal up soon. We are all thinking of you.
    mra #115
    07 CBR 600 RR
    09 Ninja 250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast