Thread: 2023 Rule Change Proposal Suggestions

Senior Member Expert

2023 Rule Change Proposal Suggestions

2023 MRA Rulebook rule change proposals

Proposals/suggestions for the 2023 Rulebook are now open and will be accepted until Saturday September 10th (rule change proposals will not be accepted after 23:59hrs on September 10th). Written rule change proposals can be submitted to Dennis Stowers, or any rider representative. The preferred method would be for racers to submit rule change proposals via the 2023 rule change thread under the Rules and Tech category on the MRA forums.

The rule change meeting will most likely take place on October 8th, approximately 2 weeks after round 7, but may change time and venue as we get closer to the date.

The rule change meeting is open to all members and will be held to discuss the proposed 2023 rule changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on the changes that will be presented to the MRA board for approval. Finalized rule changes for the 2023 season should firmed up by the end of the year.

When making your suggestion, be sure to cite the existing rule and what changes you are suggesting. If it is a new rule, please use the exact wording you would like to appear at the rule change meeting and possibly the rulebook.

If you want to discuss your rule change proposal, please start a separate thread in the Rules and Tech category on the forum.

If you have any questions please contact Dennis Stowers rulebook.mra@gmail.com

The Rule Change Proposal suggestion period is now closed as of 11:59.59pm on September 10th. If you have more discussion in mind before the Rule Change Meeting, please create an additional independent thread in this Rules & Tech forum section, and feel free to positively discuss any of the listed topics below.
    Thanks you all for your suggestions and input.

Last edited by Fastt Racing; September 10th, 2022 at 11:34 PM.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Member Amateur
    1. Kids are allowed to be on wheels during lunch and before the track goes hot in the mornings.

2. 2.12.A. Internal modifications of the OEM radiator may be made, as long as the external materials and dimensions remain the same. - I propose to change the supersport rule to allow for larger or aftermarket radiators in supersport racing category. This is more a safety and rider longevity concern, if the bikes stays cooler, it won't blow up on the track and cause a mess, accident, or lengthy clean up process.

3. Qualifying for grid positions in ALL supersport and superbike races.

4. Grid positions be staggered rather than each row in a straight line giving little to no advantage/dis-advantage to riders based on points positions or qualifying positions.

5. Award 1 championship point for qualifying on pole position per category.

6. 8.5.D. Colors - all Expert competitors will use black numbers on a white background. Numbers must be approximately 6” high and 1” wide, of standard block lettering with no shading or outlining. Novice competitors will use black numbers as specified above, but the numbers shall be on a yellow background. - For this I propose a change to allow in the rule book for numbers to be approved if outlined in a color of the riders choice. Also allow for numbers color to be other than black or white, but must be approved by the VP of rules and tech before being used in a race setting. (half our club in the last 7 years have had outlines, different color numbers, and has always been let slide)
    Jared Dear - MRA #48

Quik Cycles, Sol Performance, Pirelli tires

Member Amateur
    7. DNS and DNF competitors should not receive last place points. Points should only be awarded to racers that finish all laps in a race. DNS and DNF = zero points earned.
    Jared Dear - MRA #48

Junior Member Novice

Supersport transmission under-cutting

I'd like to offer a suggestion for Supersport rule 2.10; Transmission and Clutch modifications Allowed: Sub-heading 2.10B reads "Transmission gears may be shimmed only for the purpose of proper engagement . . ." I'd like to see that changed to "Transmission gears may be shimmed or under-cut only for the purpose of proper engagement . . ."

There are a number of entry-level bikes that suffer from poor gear dog engagement with stock transmissions; the Ninja 300/400 is one, the Kawasaki EX 500 was another back in the day. Under-cutting the transmission is the cure. It's not really a performance advantage except that if your bike doesn't jump out of gear entering corners and your competitor's does, well then you have an advantage, yes. But really, it's a safety thing, and it would be nice if any rider suffering that mechanical problem could legally get it fixed. For riders who aren't having the problem, it's no disadvantage that other riders might have under-cut transmissions. As soon as a rider IS having that problem though, it becomes a safety issue for everyone.

Stephen Husbands
    MRA 30

Member Amateur
    8. I propose we combine MVGTU and MVGTO in one race and STGTU and STGTO in another race. Combine the modern vintage and combine the super twins classes.
    Jared Dear - MRA #48

Senior Member Expert
    1.3 Motorcycle Rule Category List

1.3.A. Supersport Motorcycle: Production frame and engine motorcycle originally
    sold for street use. Fairly limited modifications allowed. Refer to Section 2.
    1.3.B. Superbike Motorcycle: Production frame and engine motorcycle originally
    sold for street use. Moderate modifications allowed. Refer to Section 3.
    1.3.C. Grand Prix Motorcycle: Prototype / Purpose built racing motorcycle from any
    origin. Significant modifications allowed. Refer to Section 4.
    1.3.D. Electric Motorcycle: Electric motor propelled motorcycle from any origin.
    Refer to Section 5.
    1.3.E. SuperMoto Motorcycle: An off road dirt motorcycle converted to race on
    asphalt, or a production supermoto motorcycle. Refer to Section 6.

1.3b Remove “sold for street use” requirement.

Reasoning is that this will allow motorcycles not originally produced for the street to be eligible for superbike categories. Ie KTM SMR 450/ Husky FS450 in 500 Superbike, Kramer (as model and engine limits would normally allow) in Middleweight SBK, Pierbohn frames in MWSBK/OSBK (as appropriate engine size will allow).

With grids falling in many of production cup and Superbike classes it would seem to me that the club would like to boost the grids as much as possible. As a specific example this would increase the 500 superbike grid by two fold in some cases.
    Last edited by jplracing; September 1st, 2022 at 01:02 PM.
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    8. I propose we combine MVGTU and MVGTO in one race and STGTU and STGTO in another race. Combine the modern vintage and combine the super twins classes.
    What problem would this solve? Right now MVGTU runs with STGTO, and MVGTO runs with STGTU... We would still be running 2 races, and this change would prevent people on GTU bikes from being able to "ride up" in the GTO classes (or people with a GTU bike and a GTO bike from being able to race both bikes).
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Junior Member Novice
    I would like to propose qualifying in all classes, now to save time qualifying for novices can just be fastest time in practice. But I think all classes should be based on time. I am also up for some classes to go away, I do not have any classes off top of my head but think we should have the conversation.

Junior Member Novice
    I have two proposals for consideration:

1. Rulebook 10.3 area - Offer a Daily or Round Specific Crew Pass ($10 or $20/day) - A lot of people come to watch the races for only one day, or a few rounds. This would help generate some extra revenue for the club. This would also allow people outside a racers specific circle to enjoy access to the hot pit and certain spectator areas. Ex: I usually buy 2 crew passes for the season, but this year I have had up to 5 friends show up for a day, and there is no option to get everyone access to the hot pit at the same time. Instead of me having to pay for another 3 more full crew passes, it would be nice if they could pay a one time fee at the gate or the race day office for a daily pass.

All first time/first race novices to pit in the same location in the paddock, accompanied by the New Rider Director and/or the Rider Representatives, for their first one or two rounds of the season. Possibly throughout their first full season. (In an area and similar to how the NATC was set up this year) This will assist them with easy access to help/questions/guidence. This will also facilitate relationship building for the season, and help with racer retention throughout the season and future seasons.

Thank you!
    Jeremy Ross

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    What problem would this solve? Right now MVGTU runs with STGTO, and MVGTO runs with STGTU... We would still be running 2 races, and this change would prevent people on GTU bikes from being able to "ride up" in the GTO classes (or people with a GTU bike and a GTO bike from being able to race both bikes).

I agree that this isn’t a good idea.. for years there have been two types of classes in the MRA. One is th ultra competitive like ROR or Open superbike and two “ gentleman’s” classes, In my opinion there equal numbers of people in the super competitive as are in the gentlemen classes, if you start to push one group out and cater to the other group…membership and entries will begin to fall. If you are going to squeeze a gentleman’s class out you need to squeeze a another out as well
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    7. DNS and DNF competitors should not receive last place points. Points should only be awarded to racers that finish all laps in a race. DNS and DNF = zero points earned.
    DNS competitors do not currently receive any points.
    I personally like the "last place points" for DNF - it gives riders with minor injuries, who are in the points battle, an opportunity to get some points just by starting the race, then pulling in after 1 lap.
    Bob - #46
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan

Senior Member Expert
    We have a couple options we are reviewing as a Board of Directors currently to make some sizeable changes to the Raceday Itineraries for next year. One major contender is more of a double header format that will keep the vast majority of classes in action. We want to make you all aware of the potential change to the Itinerary as a measure of transparency, and will have more news coming on the options as we approach the Rule Change Proposal Meeting.
    These and some other "Club Operational Improvements" that will be summarized in the proposal meeting for some member input.
    We will have a couple fee changes for 2023 to track with some inflation with our operating costs, but will be maintaining our great value of racing.
    We are proud of some improvements we made as a club in 2022, but realize there is still more work to do to continue to grow our beloved sport. We really appreciate every one of you for engaging in the process of continued improvement to the almost 50 year old family that is the Motorcycle Roadracing Association!

The following suggestions came in from Charles Greenwood vial our official email on Sept 10th 9:09pm:
    1> Eliminate 350 Supersport and 350 Superbike. There isn't a single racer that has made every round.

2> Eliminate Formula Colorado. There are only two racers that have made every round.

3> Eliminate the Endurance races. Run two, four hour rounds instead. They're huge money looser races for the club, they're not real endurance length races (only 20-30 min), and there isn't any rider who only runs those classes without any sprint races.

4> With eliminating all of the above classes, I suggest we should also run MRA sanctioned practice 8am-12pm Saturday morning. More people turnout for a true two day event, it is more cost effective to the club when they can charge for practice. It reduces the costs to the riders.
    Last edited by Fastt Racing; September 19th, 2022 at 05:04 PM.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    The Rule Change Proposal suggestions period for the 2023 season is now closed! Thank you everyone.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    This is not a rule change suggestion, but I really think we need, in writing, the purpose of each class we have. This might help prevent "mission creep" (for lack of a better term) within the classes and maybe delete classes when they no longer meet their purpose. For example, I sort of understand why Thunderbike was created, but I am not sure why we still have it.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Below are the combined results of the member votes (online & in-person) on proposed rule changes...

Please Note - a majority vote by the members does NOT guarantee that a proposed rule change will be implemented

• Kids on Wheels before track goes hot & at lunch
      • 13 Yes
      • 11 No
      • 1 Abstain

• Superbike/Aftermarket Radiator allowed in SuperSport
      • 10 Yes
      • 12 No
      • 3 Abstain

• Grid position staggered (FIM layout)
      • 6 Yes
      • 12 No
      • 4 Abstain

• Qualifying - award 1 point for Pole
      • 9 Yes
      • 10 No
      • 0 Abstain

• Numbers - outline colors allowed
      • 17 Yes
      • 2 No
      • 4 Abstain

• Numbers - allow color other than black
      • 6 Yes
      • 16 No
      • 5 Abstain

• Zero points for DNF
      • 12 Yes
      • 11 No
      • 3 Abstain

• Combine MVGTU & MVGTO
      • 0 Yes
      • 18 No
      • 0 Abstain

• Combine STGTU & STGTO
      • 0 Yes
      • 18 No
      • 0 Abstain

• 500 SuperSport - allow transmission gear undercut for engagement
      • 14 Yes
      • 0 No
      • 4 Abstain

• 500 SBK - allow exceptions for 450SMR, FS450, SM450
      • 11 Yes
      • 2 No
      • 8 Abstain

• Eliminate 350 SS & 350 SBK
      • 1 Yes
      • 14 No
      • 5 Abstain

• Eliminate Formula Colorado
      • 1 Yes
      • 14 No
      • 9 Abstain

• Eliminate all Solo Endurance classes
      • 4 Yes
      • 15 No
      • 1 Abstain

• Add double-length sprints if Solo Endurance removed
      • 13 Yes
      • 1 No
      • 3 Abstain

• Add qualifying for selected classes/riders
      • 3 Expert & Novice
      • 11 Expert Only
      • 3 No
      • 1 Abstain

• Add double-header classes for SuperSport or SBK
      • 6 Supersport
      • 6 SBK
      • 2 No
      • 4 Abstain

• Move SuperStreet to late-morning/midday
      • 5 Yes
      • 11 No
      • 4 Abstain
    Bob - #46