Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Rule Change Suggestions

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brewer View Post
    I completely agree with your sentiment. The only reason I didn't propose "spouse/partner(/SO?)" was in case we wanted to extend this "impact alleviation" to a son or daughter. But I could then see it starting to go off the rails with cousins, brothers, etc.

Certainly the wording of this is worth discussion. Anyone else want to chime in?
    I agree with this changing to say "Immediate Family Members" from "Family Members. The legal defination of Immediate family members, according to the law, include one's spouse, children, parents, grandparents, siblings, as well as one's in-laws. It also includes adopted children and stepchildren also are usually included in the definition. In Colorado, partners from same-sex marriages or civil unions also are considered immediate family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Foot pegs - 8.4 point V, any type of foot peg “curb feelers “must be removed.

Senior Member Amateur
    Novice hours-
    10.15 point F, for the purpose of this section “community service “they include but not be confined to scorekeeping, approved event participation, or any other service as defined and approved by the board. Attending a general meeting will equate to 1/2 hour of community service up to a maximum of two hours you also have the option to “purchase” your service hours for a payment of $25 per hour to the MRA. All novice hour requirements must be met within 10 days of the final race of the season.
    Changed to-
    For the purpose of the section “community service “may include but not be confined to scorekeeping, corner working, approved event participation, or any other service as defined and approved by the board. All novice racers will be required to do two hours of corner working as part of their community service. Attending a general meeting will equate to 1/2 hour of your community service up to a maximum of two hours you also have the option to “purchase “your service hours for a payment of $25 per hour to the MRA, with the exception of corner working hours. All novice our requirements must be met within 10 days of the final race of the season.

Senior Member Expert
    Some of these already adopted policies and race day procedures should be outlined in the rulebook:
    Track configuration specific Penalties to be added:

• PPIR Turn 3 blowing+ 30 second penalty and self policed re entry at Turn 7.
    • PPIR Turn 1 blowing, continue safely around banking, and self police blending into Turn 2 area.
    • HPR West Turn 9 blowing, continue safely around to designated termination penalty box just after Turn 12. You are automatically disqualified for blowing turn 9. There isn't a safe way to allow re entry.
    • HPR North Turn 4a(4s) blowing, Continue safely around the course to Turn 8 and stop. A corner worker will direct you to re enter safely when they see appropriate space for re entry.
    • PMP Turn 1 blowing, continue safely to the very end of the drag strip and follow the return road back to where you may self police safe re entry at Turn 2.

Some additional items which need review are:
    • Change 6.2.C. from Supermoto Section from "Side stands must be removed" to read "Side stands must be secured in the raised position while on track", or eliminate the need for Supermoto side stand removal completely.
    • Change 8.6 Competition Fuel Requirements from [must be petroleum based gasoline meeting ASTM D4814] to read a list of common included Ethanol fuels like E15, E85, and make a decision on approved "race fuels" allowed that may or may not meet a specific ASTM designation. I will do some significant research into which fuel types best fit the MRA's designations we feel meet our desires for reasonable and fair competition.
    • Change Section 15 definitions to be inclusive of more multi hour Special Event Endurance races such as 2 Hour, etc. This will include removing or editing the reference to surcharge and payout in 15.1 Class List also, based on the BoD decisions to add more of these Special Events to the schedule.
    • Starting position based on points for past competition members who have points from a prior season, when they use a free reciprocity single event license, as opposed to a paid reciprocity single event license.
    • The final lap and scoring/timing procedures for Multi Hour Endurance races 15.9.T. Needs revamped to clearly define the time and expected white flag finish to a checkered flag as is common with timed endurance racing. More details will be provided to the exact wording used. Starter Bob and others have helped suggest the need to align this rule with the practical start/finish flagging policy they are using during these events.
    • 8.3.X & 15.9.D "Safety apparel must be re-inspected" may need changed or removed to align with our current Technical Inspection procedures and limitations.
    • Section 15 Add 25mph Hot Pit speed limit within the cone defined hot pit lane area. 1 Lap penalty if speeding is observed.

Some misc edits:
    • 10.11.A Change "Riders School" to "racing school" as is consistent in the other subsections about licensing and advancement.
    • 9.3.F May need split up into subsections F and G to read better about no need to allow a lapped rider back past the overtaking rider. No real change, just more intuitive clarification of our existing waiving yellow flag policy.
    • 9.11.B RoR needs referred to 9.5 & 9.10
    • All normal laws in the area applying to surrounding areas including roadways should be obeyed, as well as an exceptionally high level of accountability to any behavior which could be detrimental to the facility and/or our sport.
    • Other misc typos and grammatical errors found.

Board Operating Procedure/Policies:
    • We should probably reference in the rulebook where the general election information can be found, as well as some important operational info, transparency of special benefits to racers, and other informational mediums we use as a club. Basically create a connection between our different critical documents to help connect the information ecosystem for the future.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I am happy to see this suggestion. I was about to submit a similar suggestion. Perhaps modify "family member" to spouse/partner? Racers that are not immediate family members of board members have received free racing in the past, and it doesn't quite pass the smell test. Especially if the club is trying to be fiscally responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attridgekl View Post
    I agree with this changing to say "Immediate Family Members" from "Family Members. The legal defination of Immediate family members, according to the law, include one's spouse, children, parents, grandparents, siblings, as well as one's in-laws. It also includes adopted children and stepchildren also are usually included in the definition. In Colorado, partners from same-sex marriages or civil unions also are considered immediate family.
    If racers received free racing from a board member's comp then it was prior to 2009. Former President, Tony Baker, enacted the operational procedure within the Board back when I was still VP that only family members could use a board member's comp'd racing credit and that has been the case up until events of the current season . If board members did not use their comp, they would receive an additional $100 in pay for that weekend.

And I agree that it needs to be specifically spelled out in the rulebook.
    Last edited by JimWilson29; October 13th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

Novice GTU/GTO Amateur GTU/GTO to go from Superbike rules to GP class rules.

New Class: Sportsman, a class designed for racers that don’t normally win races. Sportsman is a class that any rider and motorcycle can enter. The class is limited to riders that have never run a lap time faster than ______ (example 2:10 at high plains full) if a rider at any point in an MRA race weekend runs a faster lap time than the designated lap time they are no longer eligible for sportsman including being disqualified if they beat the designated lap time in the sportsman race it’s self.
    Last edited by dforwty; October 13th, 2021 at 08:05 PM.

Senior Member Expert
    The Rule Change Proposal Period has ended. Thanks everyone for submitting your ideas. We'll see you all at Old Chicago 145 Union Blvd Suite 101 Lakewood, CO 80228 on Sat Oct 23rd.

Senior Member Amateur VeronicaVaughn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brewer View Post
    I completely agree with your sentiment. The only reason I didn't propose "spouse/partner(/SO?)" was in case we wanted to extend this "impact alleviation" to a son or daughter. But I could then see it starting to go off the rails with cousins, brothers, etc.

Certainly the wording of this is worth discussion. Anyone else want to chime in?
    I'm with John, I think it should be spouse/partner/SO. If we go down the route of immediate family member, then I agree with J. Brewer, it can get a little out of hand.

Arguably, both of these positions will likely be filled by a racer's wife or girlfriend (not always, but most likely). So if we say family member, then a partner or significant other would be excluded because they are not married?

Otherwise, I would suggest a modification to Brewer's rule change addition to section 11 that the secretary and treasurer change from non-racing to racing positions if it gets changed to "immediate family member."
    Last edited by VeronicaVaughn; October 13th, 2021 at 11:02 PM.
    Tiffany Maestas
    PKA #282
    2020 MRA Treasurer

Junior Member Novice

Middleweight classes displacement adjustment (Allowing Triumph 765s)

Quote Originally Posted by amiller6786 View Post
    Trying to sell some new bikes? (This is a joke, not a jab... couldn't help but notice your signature)

While I'm not opposed to this change, I think it's worth some thought. The targeted model with this change is the older Triumph 675, which is nearly 100cc below the new 765cc. If this is allowed, I think it would be fair to allow a similar change for twins up to 900cc to allow folks to bring the Ducati 899 to the party as well, which is only 50cc over its predecessor, the 848, not 90cc as with the Triumph. In the hands of a competent tuner, I think that either the 765 or the 899 could be made untouchable by the Japanese 600's on the straights by a fair margin. Furthermore, it would legalize the Triumph Moto2 replica bike which, on paper, seems like someone with enough money could bring as a ringer. This could have negative financial implications on what it would take to be competitive in this class in a sport that's already a complete drain on the wallet. My $.02.

Thanks for the $.02!
    Maybe this doesn't have to be a sweeping cc change as long as the verbiage includes Triumph 765cc triples as legal for the classes (Thanks @Jim Brewer for idea on that one).

A little more food for thought....
    AHRMA has adopted this rule change for 2022 into their SoT2 class.
    The British Superbike Series has adopted these bikes as included in their GP2 Series which is basically their Middleweight Supersport class.
    Moto2 has adopted this engine as their spec engine after the Honda 600cc motor aged out 3 years ago. Evidence that this is just the evolution of the middleweight class.
    John Beldock
    www.ericomotorsports.com
    Ducati-Triumph-Vespa-Aprilia
    Bimota-Moto Guzzi-Piaggio

Senior Member Expert
    The following Proposal was submitted via email directly to me Dennis Stowers - Rider Rep-Rulebook, by Mark Weidner during the General Meeting properly time stamped before we closed the proposal period. He could not gain access to post it on the forum, and requested I log it as his proxy. I felt it was a good idea to also post it here for archival and transparency purposes.
    -Mark Weidner
    Add the following motorcycle to Thunderbike eligibility
    3.11.C. Add- The current Thunderbike exemptions are: Allow 2007-2009 Ducati 1098 in Thunderbike. R model would still be excluded.

Require any novice riders in expert only classes to wear colored bibs.

Thanks again everyone for your submissions and engagement. See you all tomorrow at the Rule Change Proposal Meeting.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    Dennis can you post a list of 2022 Rule Change updates that were approved?
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12