Thread: July 18-19 HPR Race Question

Smile July 18-19 HPR Race Question

DISCLAIMER: Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but I haven't been able to fish out an answer in my searches.

I have 2 immunocompromised family members at home so social distancing during this pandemic is very important to me and, because I'm me, so is racing. Thus, I have a few questions about the race this weekend because I'd love to go racing, but only if I can do it safely for my family:

1) Is general access being limited to control crowd size?
    2) Are parking spaces in the paddock being controlled to encourage social distancing?
    3) How is social distancing being maintained for events that commonly bring people in close proximity such as:
    -Tech inspection
    -Registration
    -Rider's meeting(s)
    -Transponder checkout/dropoff
    -Podium ceremonies (is this still happening?)

Thanks in advance

Senior Member Amateur
    Mayhaps this link will get you some of the information you need or at least lead you in the right direction. The forum doesn't see as much action as it used to but maybe try asking this same thing through the MRA facebook page to get a quicker response than you'd get here in regards of all your questions. The riders meeting this past round at PPIR was done via track announcing and not in group.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Motorcyc...=page_internal

https://mailchi.mp/mra-racing/regist...durance-999192
    Last edited by MadVlad; July 13th, 2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    There will be a "What you need to know" email later today regarding this coming weekend. In that, we'll address the COVID mitigation processes, but in general ..
    1. We will limit the number of people in the paddock by not admitting spectators. The event will be for racers, crew and immediate family only.
    2. If people are feeling ill, we're going to insist that they stay home. HPR guidelines state that sickies will be sent packing.
    3. We will follow as much of the HPR guidelines as possible, which are listed here - https://www.highplainsraceway.com/covid-19/

Probably the best thing to do would be for anyone in contact with immuno-suppressed people would be for themselves to be stringent on mitigation (mask, hand washing, distancing) while at the track, but under the realization that no matter where you go, there's a risk of contact.
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; July 15th, 2020 at 08:03 AM.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the measures you're taking and am glad to know it won't be like Bandimere's "Freedom Rally", for which they're currently being sued by the county. Also, definitely know all about adopting risk on a personal level during the pandemic. That's been life lately.

About the email, I never received that. Did it go out last night?

Finally, about the Facebook page, Jim is that where you guys do most of your correspondence as opposed to this forum?

Thanks

Thanks for the links MadVlad. Much appreciated!

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by amiller6786 View Post
    Thanks for the links MadVlad. Much appreciated!
    no problemo! Hope to see you out there racing this weekend man
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Quote Originally Posted by amiller6786 View Post
    About the email, I never received that. Did it go out last night?
    I sent it Tuesday evening. If you didn't get it - email me from the email address you usually read and I'll make sure it's on the mailchimp list.
    Finally, about the Facebook page, Jim is that where you guys do most of your correspondence as opposed to this forum?
    We use both. This forum is better for in-depth conversations and things that we might want to refer to later - such as meeting notes, rule changes, etc.

Facebook tends to lend itself to lighter conversations & banter, although not always. Finally, the mailchimp email is for announcements which also get copied to facebook, instagram & twitter.

HTH

Just want to close this topic off with some final thoughts based on my experience this weekend.

Unfortunately, my wife and I showed up early Saturday in time for registration and, aside from the gentleman at the gate, no one was wearing a mask or following social distancing guidelines. So sadly, because my wife is in the third trimester of her pregnancy we were there for about 10 minutes before deeming the environment unsafe and heading home with a healthy serving of disappointment because I REALLY wanted to race this weekend. I know the MRA can't control everyone's behavior and, sadly, it seemed most people there didn't take the rules of the event seriously. So, I'm pretty disappointed with the conduct of the attendees and probably won't be back until next season when, hopefully, the pandemic will be over and individual conduct will be out of the equation.

I hope everyone is able to stay safe the rest of the season both on the track and in the paddock and, further, I hope folks will bear in mind that the ongoing pandemic is no joke. It's a seriously illness with untold long-term consequences which can include long-term respiratory damage, infertility in men, and ofcourse death which, sadly, I've had some experience with at work in witnessing the passing of a co-worker who was not an unhealthy, immuno-compromised senior citizen, he was a perfectly healthy young man. So to the general members of MRA who seemed to have a cavalier attitude about COVID this weekend, please be safe and remember that it's not just about you, it's also about the people around you.

Well, that's all I have on the topic for now. Happy riding, folks. Stay safe, and I hope to see ya'll again next season.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry you didn't feel safe, but I think it was totally wise to leave because of that. There will be other races in the future, but you only have one wife and one child on the way!

What is typical on Saturday morning is that people are with their crew & families in the paddock getting ready to practice. What I'm guessing you saw there was probably similar to what you'd see at an USFS campsite, RV campground, or golf course parking lot where families & crew who arrived together or are staying together aren't distancing or wearing masks around each other outdoors.

During that Saturday morning registration rush period, the MRA office staff inside of the building were wearing masks as were most of the racers coming in to register, but I'm guessing you didn't go in there, though. You probably left before we had the virtual riders' meeting (done over the PA system, not in the pavilion) where we reminded everyone about sanitizing, social distancing guidelines, and to wear masks while indoor of the public places.

In addition to yourself, I personally know of a couple other racers who have immuno-compromised family members and they basically are blowing off the race season as to not take the chance of bringing home something other than a trophy. I know it's a tough balance to make - between keeping your loved ones safe versus living your life. But be assured that the MRA will be around for racing next year when hopefully there'll be either a falloff of this COVID crap or a vaccine.

Thanks again for your post.
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; July 20th, 2020 at 02:06 PM.

Junior Member Novice
    I’m a racer in this club and don’t usually post. But I saw this and , first- sorry you left. But it’s not fair to the club to say nobody cared about rules and weren’t social distancing and all of that. Like anywhere in the state- around family or people you came with- you don’t have to wear a mask. Also if you can maintain 6 ft you don’t have to. All of the rules were practiced- however, if I had a family member that was compromised , I certainly would not bring them somewhere where I thought it might not be safe. It’s up to me as an individual to take care of myself and family , not anybody else’s. Hope you can race next year -