View Poll Results: Would you participate?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maybe, depends on new track situation.

5 20.83%
  • Most definitely!

19 79.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of a MRA/MOM Miller combined event?

glenngsxr

Possibility of a MRA/MOM Miller combined event?

Who would want this? I know many of us are just dying to get back to Miller, but I understand that it can be very costly for the club. If possible, how many of you would participate in a combined MRA and MOM doubleheader race at Miller? Kind of like a battle of the clubs. The two clubs could split the track rental, therefore dramatically reducing the cost to each. I see this as mutually beneficial for the clubs and riders. Is it possible and what does everyone think? Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    i dont know, i kind of like this racing at only two tracks thing lol.

sounds like a great idea glenn, you got my vote
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    I know that the USBA Board was interested in working with the MRA to do exactly that, although I am not sure if any true discussions were held between them.

It is pretty obvious it would get my vote since I made most of their rounds this year, and plan on doing their series again next year.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    im pretty sure our clubs talked about it. we would have a race at miller and their club would come to one of our events. If i remember correctly the utah club didnt want to travel

Senior Member Expert
    i would be in... though logistically how would it work? How would we grid up? They qualify, we go by points etc... That i think would pose one of the biggest problems.

however what about contingency? Class structure, who's rules do we follow? I would be very tough to pull something like this together.

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Amateur
    I think we (Alan and I) would both love to do this...Two votes from the Filars
    MRA #414

Senior Member Expert
    Perhaps we should focus more on getting our own local "act" together..... How about donating the funds you would use to race that event so we can get a new track here.....??? Pretty soon if this track falls through you will have to go race out of state permanently..... :cry:

Sorry I know how fun it is to race and Im being a party pooper... Guess Im not ready to get rid of local racing yet.......

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil
    Guess Im not ready to get rid of local racing yet.......
    Getting rid of local racing?

What are you talking about?

Racers go racing. That is what we do. Glenn was just asking if anyone wanted to think about racing at Miller in addition to here.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    Racers go racing. That is what we do.
    Well, there's also that goat thing you do.......
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

glenngsxr
    Mike,
    not necessarily trading races. If I had Miller as my back door, I sure as hell would not come to Pueblo. At this point, it does not look like we will have a new track anyways because of the massive shortfall of fundage. Racing wipes me out anyways, much less with having to donate.(although I still intend to and did buy takeoffs from Brownie due to him donating the money to the track). the problem lies in that we have nothing to offer them yet. They do.

Jason,
    Logistically, it could get very tricky. They would not want to come here also because we have no power and no garages, etc. Most MOM racers don't have canopies, generators, campers, etc. However, for the benefit of both clubs, I'm sure we could work something out for contingency. They do it many times a year when clubs combine for say, the AMA Road Race Grand nationals. It would be impossible to grid both clubs up according to points, therefore it would require qualifying(something probably all of us would love to do. Like WSBK does the SuperPole, we could do the Mountain Pole or Pole of the Rockies). With proper planning, it can be done.

I guess I am just yearning for another track to the schedule. One that is safe at that. The layout at Pueblo is great and Earlene tries her hardest I know, but we can all agree the track is deteriorating and getting more unsafe every year. It would just be nice to go back to Miller again and enjoy a different venue. Including the cost of a bike, racing cost me over sixteen thousand this year, and I did it cheap as I could, believe me. It is difficult to get motivated for a new track when we have a 2.5 million dollar shortfall. How can we possibly come up with that? BTW, I am expecting at least one person to come and $#!t down my throat about the new track thing so let me hear it. Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    I understood it at combining MRA and MOM events as one event where we race eachother at Miller?

If its simply going to race MOM at Miller on your own... then why discuss it in a challenge sort of way.... Just go race it.....

glenngsxr
    Dion, it would be kind of like an informal challenge. Making it a spot on our points calendar is much different than some of us going to Utah to face their club. An event like this might draw some new racers as well. Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr
    Dion, it would be kind of like an informal challenge. Making it a spot on our points calendar is much different than some of us going to Utah to face their club. An event like this might draw some new racers as well. Glenn #62

Well if its not for MRA points... then its all in fun and a challenge on each racers own.... I see that point of view.... I say if you want to go race it, and it doesnt count for points in MRA..... then kick their A$$es !!!! :lol:

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Combining the schedules would be easy.
    Add heavyweight superbike
    Place racers on the grid according to points, alternating MOM racers and MRA racers.

For the ROR/MOM GTU/O races just qualify for that round or use alternating points once again.

Senior Member Amateur
    I think it is a fantastic idea, but the logistics seem pretty hard to work through. Rather than bastardizing either club's rules, classes, etc to the point everyone is confused I think adopting one organization's procedures would be the best way to go, and since the MRA is much more established club... but I don't think the USBA would agree to that.

As for gridding I see three possibilities. First, the easiest way would just be to start in each class in two waves, one MRA, one USBA. If we were racing on the full or perimeter track lappers wouldn't be that big of a problem, and if they were counted as two races results/contingency would be taken care of as well. Second, we could grid the first MRA guy, the first USBA person, the second MRA racer, etc on down the line. Third we could do qualifying for some classes like the USBA.

Wasn't this an idea talked about last year? I thought there was a hangup with the negotiations, or am I mistaken?

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr
    Making it a spot on our points calendar is much different than some of us...
    Quote Originally Posted by dion
    I say if you want to go race it, and it doesnt count for points in MRA

You guys communicate like you are married to eachother!
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

glenngsxr
    At the last race we were married to each other. Either I was right in front of him or vice versa all weekend. Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    We had something like this pretty well worked out, I spent quite a lot of time working with someone over there (can't recall his name at the moment) to iron out all the details. We had everything pretty well covered, but it was going to be a reciprocal thing were the MRA would travel to MMP for one event that they "hosted" that paid points to both classes, and then they would travel to MPH for an event that we would "host" under the same rules.

They brought up the idea in a riders meeting and it was soundly voted down, they weren't willing to travel to MPH. I don't really blame them, if I had MMP in my backyard I wouldn't feel a real need to go to MPH either. But in order to make the deal equally beneficial for both clubs it needs to go both ways.

Glenn - there is not a 2 million dollar shortfall for the new track, please don't say that. I have been saying for months that the donations part of the fundraising needs to raise $500,000 (minimum) in order to complete a usable facility (obviously more donations means more amenities). We have raised a little over half of that donations goal. The rest of what is missing from the thermometer on the HPR site will come in loans. We have close to 75% of the loan funds verbally committed and those funds will be added to the thermometer once the lawyers are done with the papers and everything is signed.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    Guys, I think it is a great idea. TRK (BTW, you are my little bitch) has the plan in place. Here is the thing you need to understand. People from their club are not really in a position to travel. Most of them only have very small trailers, no generators, no EZ ups and no air compressors. They race in one place and every time they show up there is water, power, air and a garage. Most of them travel less than an hour to race, that is what they know. We just have to take that into account because I think it would be hard to get them over here.

But, I went to all of there rounds this year except for two and I will be racing there again next year, I am all up for it!

Senior Member Expert
    I think that racing at miller is a great idea for 2009! I think that we should focus on getting a track built here in colorado for 2008...

Is there anyway that the mra could host a trackday a PMP where the non licensed riders could come, and the proceeds would go to the new track? im sure many of us would be willing to donate there time. This could also stir up some new members...

This is my first year racing and im really discouraged by people saying the club is falling apart.. Im sure that many of the problems will wither away when the new track is built.
    Benny Tozzi #78
    Tri City Cycle
    Check out Dave@SingleTrackMind for your suspension needs!
    www.fixmybike.com

www.getwellclarkie.com

glenngsxr
    Glenn,
    Sorry if it sounded harsh. Believe me, I want a new track more than anything. I am not claiming poverty when I say it is hard to donate, but it really is sometimes, especially when most of my disposable income already goes to racing. I will be donating at the first opportunity. I am a firm believer in the heart and soul of this club and the friends I have made here are friends for life. In all, for me if we don't have a new track I lose more than just a hobby, but friends that may not be back racing again and I definitely don't want that to happen. I received your PM and I know you have put in some serious legwork and it does not go unnoticed. From what I can tell, you have done a tremendous job with the club. I didn't want to get into a new track battle, but at times it seems discouraging. Maybe that's what came out in my reply.

Benny, you will never have to worry about the club falling apart. We are a tight knit family and we will always find a way to get out and compete, even if we lose every track, the IMI pits will be full and you run into lappers by the end of lap one.

Glenn,
    Have we thought about getting some sort of corporate sponsorship? Since I am almost done with my Economics Masters, I could easily do an advertising feasibility study and determine the exact benefit to a possible donor. Have we attacked this avenue yet?

We have some really smart brains in this club. Let's get together and figure out ways to get the ball rolling in addition to donations. Although it will not be much, you can keep my ROR money next weekend and next year to donate to the new track. That's a promise. As long as all my friends are back next year to race with me. Glenn #62

Mohammer Time! Expert
    What does racing a combined event at Miller, and a new track have to do with eachother. Racers race................

glenngsxr
    The beauty about forums is that you don't have to be face to face with the person your talking to so context is taken out and people get off topic easily. Glenn #62

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by motobum
    I think that racing at miller is a great idea for 2009! I think that we should focus on getting a track built here in colorado for 2008...
    Here! Here!
    Let's take care of our own house first! Otis and I as Wild Cheetah Racing are in for $500 so far and are continuing to add as we can. This track is going to happen and the sooner we get the money in the sooner the track gets built. If you guys want to break ground this fall for a spring 2008 opening, then get your money in soon. If we dilly dally much more, we won't get to break ground until the spring and that screws us for a raceable track for the '08 season! This will be our track with our rules. Let's own it!
    TRK said, "Racers race." Go elsewhere and your money gets spent with another club with none to spare for HPR (High Plains Raceway). Glenn said that most of his disposable income goes to racing. Same with Wild Cheetah, but we're running a tight financial ship right now to make sure we have some to donate to so we can race at a cool new place without traction compound and a motocross turn (turn 10). Imagine the return of old racers back to the club and a large increase in membership because of the new track. That turns into more money for the club for more benefits for you.
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

glenngsxr
    Let's not take out of context what my original post said. I was merely mentioning adding an event like this onto the schedule for next year. I never said let's forget about the new track. We might be able to have our cake and eat it too. Glenn #62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast