Thread: 2012 Ducati 848 EVO Race Prep

2012 Ducati 848 EVO Race Prep

Hello All,

I did a little poking around, and I'm hoping this thread is in the correct spot...

Anyway, like the title says, I'm race prepping a 2012 Ducati 848 EVO right now for the Supersport class. I'm hoping someone with some experience on this bike (Shane, are you out there??) could share some intel on key lookouts. I'm hoping to make any reliability upgrades now before I incur the wrath of part failures that could have been avoided with a little prep work. Thanks in advance!

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    I think that bike is sufficiently similar to mine that I can comment. Do you know the history of the bike?

Personally, I'd do some of the usual stuff (oil (including filter & screen), air filter, suspension fluids & seals, coolant, clutch & brake fluids, brake pads, chain & sprockets) and probably consider looking at the clutch.

Inspecting & maybe replacing the cam belts would be a good thing if they haven't been recently.

Just some thoughts ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer View Post
    I think that bike is sufficiently similar to mine that I can comment. Do you know the history of the bike?

Personally, I'd do some of the usual stuff (oil (including filter & screen), air filter, suspension fluids & seals, coolant, clutch & brake fluids, brake pads, chain & sprockets) and probably consider looking at the clutch.

Inspecting & maybe replacing the cam belts would be a good thing if they haven't been recently.

Just some thoughts ..

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response. The bike has really low mileage, I bought it from Fay Myer's and from what I can tell it was used as someone's playtoy but has never seen a racetrack. I have a few of the typical parts on order right now for maintenance, including the cam belts, and will be giving the full tuneup and safety check regimen before I hit the track. I'm also throwing on race fairings, spare tank, upgrading the front pads, and getting a tune to eliminate a flat spot in the torque curve, so that's all the stuff I have planned.

I believe the 2012 has upgraded main bearings and rod bolts, from what I've read... is there anything critical you'd recommend looking at as a common failure point?