View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of the Bylaw changes round 2?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve

17 39.53%
  • Disapprove

26 60.47%

Thread: MRA bylaws changes round 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Novice
    I voted no to both. I agree the last thing the club needs is to scramble to notify everyone, get nominations, bios from candidates, and coordinate the election in the middle of the race season if a board member departs unexpectedly. To keep things running, maximum flexibility is needed to get a qualified person filling the vacancy at least until the next regularly scheduled election.

For the positions with multi-year terms where the board member departed with more than 1 year remaining in their term, I'd be OK if the change was worded such that the position would then be included in the next general election.

I don't see a need for term limits, either. Why kick out very experienced people where the majority of the club feels they are doing a good job? If they aren't doing a good job, vote them out.

Mike #479

WolFeYeZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mkionka View Post
    For the positions with multi-year terms where the board member departed with more than 1 year remaining in their term, I'd be OK if the change was worded such that the position would then be included in the next general election.
    Great idea, maybe that will be taken up if this fails

Quote Originally Posted by mkionka View Post
    If they aren't doing a good job, vote them out.
    A member went back and did an analysis over the past 10 years (edited, see later posts). In that time the incumbent who already holds the position has NEVER lost an election. The barriers to entry are huge. Therefore when someone has been appointed, they serve on the board until they wish to move on.
    Last edited by WolFeYeZ; April 24th, 2020 at 10:39 AM.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post

A member went back and did an analysis over the past 15 years or so. In that time the incumbent who already holds the position has NEVER lost an election. The barriers to entry are huge. Therefore when someone has been appointed, they serve on the board until they wish to move on.
    Losing an election is not a "barrier to entry".
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post

A member went back and did an analysis over the past 15 years or so. In that time the incumbent who already holds the position has NEVER lost an election. The barriers to entry are huge. Therefore when someone has been appointed, they serve on the board until they wish to move on.
    Hmmm this claim is not true. I ran against an incumbent board member and was elected, over the incumbent, to the BOD. I wrote up a thorough bio detailing my skill set, why I wanted to donate my time, and how I thought I could benefit the club. The membership votes in who they want. Having served on the BOD I know how much work it is, and how important it is to have experienced and knowledgeable members handling club business. Thank you BOD for all the work you do!
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Hmmm this claim is not true. I ran against an incumbent board member and was elected, over the incumbent, to the BOD. I wrote up a thorough bio detailing my skill set, why I wanted to donate my time, and how I thought I could benefit the club. The membership votes in who they want. Having served on the BOD I know how much work it is, and how important it is to have experienced and knowledgeable members handling club business. Thank you BOD for all the work you do!

And Wyeth was not the only new board member to run against, and beat, an incumbent. Both Casey Dragos and myself were also elected to Rider Rep positions in 2010 for the first time.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...-of-directors/
    MRA #29

WolFeYeZ
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    You are right. I will go fix it as to not mislead anyone. I only checked the last 7, as that is what I had accessible in my emails. Thanks for pointing that out!