View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of the Bylaw changes round 2?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve

17 39.53%
  • Disapprove

26 60.47%

Thread: MRA bylaws changes round 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Amateur
    A replacement election wouldn't need to take 4-6 weeks. After the February meeting a club vote was put out two days later with the intention of being open for the weekend only. With the technology available these things can occur quite quickly when needed. I'm fairly certain people (who are already motivated to assist the club) could accomplish nominations, bio/resume submission, etc faster than the time frame of our normal elections if required.

I also don't understand the argument that a club wide election would make it easier for someone with negative intentions.

Looking back over elections from recent years I would say the number of uncontested positions is around 50 percent. Based on earlier replies people argue "see there just aren't enough people interested in helping out". An uncontested position doesn't show lack of anyone interested though. I have talked with a number of people over the years who would be interested and either have run a couple of times and then stop, or who just look at trends and don't run. These are people who easily have skills / knowledge / insight to contribute to the club and are doing their best to help the club, but it's not hard to watch a couple elections and see the trend. I don't think it's a coincidence that spots 'open' from retirement or promotion are easily the positions that see the most candidates. With the proposed wording if there really isn't anyone interested than nothing changes.

As was stated above if you have people who have been involved and aren't completely burnt out when they step down they become ideal candidates for unexpected vacancies.

I think the MRA is a great club, I also think there is always room for improvement. I think these changes would lead to more involvement by members (not an evil takeover by a member who managed to convince the whole club they are great).
    MRA #760

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    A replacement election wouldn't need to take 4-6 weeks. After the February meeting a club vote was put out two days later with the intention of being open for the weekend only. With the technology available these things can occur quite quickly when needed. I'm fairly certain people (who are already motivated to assist the club) could accomplish nominations, bio/resume submission, etc faster than the time frame of our normal elections if required.
    Normally, people aren't positioning their lives so they're ready to raise their hands at a moment's notice should a position open up. To be fair, I think it's important to have a nomination period so people have more than a few minutes to decide if they want to make such a commitment. Additionally, most of the club members don't cast their votes the same instant they receive their ballots.

I also don't understand the argument that a club wide election would make it easier for someone with negative intentions.
    Personally, I was applying that argument only to term limited board positions. Nobody has offered a rebuttal to my statement that it creates a gateway to corruption.

Based on earlier replies people argue "see there just aren't enough people interested in helping out".
    You're going to have to show me where someone said that. I looked back over all of the responses and I didn't find that quote.
    but it's not hard to watch a couple elections and see the trend.
    Do say more about that - what trend are you talking about? AFAIK, all the voting in the MRA is open and fair. Is there some undercurrent that you're seeing with the annual elections?

As was stated above if you have people who have been involved and aren't completely burnt out when they step down they become ideal candidates for unexpected vacancies.
    I can say the vast majority of people that resign/retire from the board are either fried to a crisp, or have some major personal circumstance getting in the way. I say this because serving on the MRA board can be hugely rewarding but also can be profoundly frustrating.

Whether people know it or not, the club runs solely on the enthusiasm and passion of the members & leaders. Again, it's a not-for-profit organization run by committed members whose pay amounts to once-a-month dinner & some gas money (and has been $0 lately).

Thanks for your feedback, Blair. Honestly, though, if you don't think there are members with nefarious intentions, you're not looking closely enough.
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; April 20th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.