View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of the Bylaw changes?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve

27 84.38%
  • Disapprove

5 15.63%

Thread: MRA bylaws changes

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar

MRA bylaws changes

Periodically, the MRA officers review the Bylaws governing the organization and can propose changes which need to be ratified by the voting members of the club. The board would like to propose the following:

1. Inclusion of background checks for board nominees (5.3.a)
    2. Change of title of "Track Marshal" to "Race Director"
    3. Change of MRA Principal Office from some unknown address in Lakewood to the address of High Plains Raceway

Also included are a number of grammatical changes and clarifications which don't have a net effect on the laws.

Please use the voting buttons on this message to vote "approve" or "disapprove".

Details on the changes are here (in MS Word change tracking format)
    Feel free to post questions or discussions about any of these changes as responses.
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; April 13th, 2020 at 05:06 PM.

WolFeYeZ
    I am glad to see the BoD working hard during the lockdown to give us a better club.

"If such criminal background check shows evidence of a felony conviction or crime involving moral turpitude"

"Moral turpitude" is far too broad and open to many levels of subjective interpretation. Any chance you can define better when a candidate would be rejected?

CoopDeVille
    Love how you guys turn the comments off for members on the fb post or is it just me and certain members that aren't allowed to comment? Is that to shut them up? Or is it you just don't want to deal with it, because it's too stressful? Or is it you just don't want to hear members opinions because ...it's not as though they matter any ways?
    Love how, of all the proposed bylaw changes, you choose an address change, a frivolous title change, capitalize some words and a background check as the top priorities. What happened to the other proposes?
    I also like how its polled in a dead forum in which the majority of members don't use. Keep up the great work.
    Last edited by CoopDeVille; April 14th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    "If such criminal background check shows evidence of a felony conviction or crime involving moral turpitude"

"Moral turpitude" is far too broad and open to many levels of subjective interpretation. Any chance you can define better when a candidate would be rejected?
    I get your point, for sure & the board had quite a few discussions about this. From the research we did with other clubs' bylaws, it's better to leave some room for interpretation. Basically, the "moral turpitude" bar for the different board positions are different levels primarily due to the importance of that position. Also, it's almost impossible to anticipate the variety of "issues" that might be found during a background check.

So, the guidance is that the current MRA board (whoever that would be) will have the responsibility of setting the bar for each open position partly based on these background checks.

The idea is to entrust future boards with maintaining the integrity of the club, which they kind of have to do anyway.

WolFeYeZ
    Hey MRA BoD, it looks like I was blocked from commenting on the FB post just like Coop. I messaged a few of you last night (all seen), but have been ignored so far. Is this intentional?

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopDeVille View Post
    Love how you guys turn the comments off for members on the fb post or is it just me and certain members that aren't allowed to comment? Is that to shut them up? Or is it you just don't want to deal with it, because it's too stressful? Or is it you just don't want to hear members opinions because ...it's not as though they matter any ways?
    Love how, of all the proposed bylaw changes, you choose an address change, a frivolous title change, capitalize some words and a background check as the top priorities. What happened to the other proposes?
    I also like how its polled in a dead forum in which the majority of members don't use. Keep up the great work.

Probably should work on your demeanor Coop cuz it just plain sucks. No one wants to respond to people when they behave in the manor your behaving. Lets be a better role model ya think? Nothing wrong with asking someone politely about an issue rather than coming right off attacking. You'll get much better results that way. Changes don't happen overnight and some take quite some time to get figured out regardless of how you may think. This forum has been used for many years and no need to bash it. Yes it needs a little TLC but hey..... its what we have for the time being.
    RAZR RICK #20