Thread: 2020 Rulebook suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Novice
    I would like to propose the following rule change. The idea is to complete more laps in the ROR race, this is the premier class in the MRA and should go as close to full distance as possible while keeping all of the riders safe.

The current rule:
    Section 7 - RACE PROCEDURES
    7.1 General Procedures
    I. When more than 50% of the race is complete and the red flag is displayed, MRA officials may consider the race complete. If determined complete, riders will be scored according to 7.1.J.

The modified rule:
    7.1 General Procedures
    I. When more than 50% of the race is complete and the red flag is displayed, MRA officials may consider the race complete. If determined complete, riders will be scored according to 7.1.J.
    During The Race of the Rockies, when more than 75% of the race is complete and the red flag is displayed, MRA officials may consider the race complete. If determined complete, riders will be scored according to 7.1.J.

My modification of letter "I" in this section may not be the best way to word this change, perhaps a new entry or "letter" is more appropriate.

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    I agree with Ian, but I would like to suggest a modification to his suggestion to "be more inclusive"

Quote Originally Posted by ian022 View Post
    The modified rule:
    7.1 General Procedures
    During The Race of the Rockies, when more than 75% of the race is complete and the red flag is displayed, MRA officials may consider the race complete. If determined complete, riders will be scored according to 7.1.J.
    How about ..

I. When the leader has fewer than 3 laps remaining and the red flag is displayed, MRA officials may consider the race complete .... bla bla bla ..

So "fewer than 3 laps remaining" means when the red flag is called, the leader has already crossed start/finish and will cross start/finish one more time before being given the white flag.

So for a 7 lap race, the leader finishing lap 4 would trigger this situation. For a 14 lap RoR, the leader finishing lap 11 would be the trigger. For 20-30 minute endurances, I think we would figure out when the leader has fewer than 3 laps to go based on time left and average laptimes.

The reason I suggest this is we should allow endurances to keep going the same way as ROR and it should be a little easier to implement lap counts than calculating percentages of odd or even lap races. Also, for red flag restarts, the same "fewer than 3 laps" rule could apply pretty easily.