Thread: 2019 Rule Change Suggestions

Mohammer Time! Expert

2019 Rule Change Suggestions

Suggestions for the 2019 Rulebook

Suggestions for the 2019 Rukebook are now open and will be accepted until Sunday September 30th, 2019 (rules suggestions will not be accepted after 23:59hrs on September 30th). Once the list is compiled, the proposed rule changes will be sent out to all members. Rule changes can be submitted to Shannon Moham, Brett Leveque or any rider representative. The preferred method would be for racers to submit rule changes via the rule change thread on the MRA forums.

We've changed the venue and scenery for the rule change meeting over the last few years, so I am up for suggestions on where to have it. The rule change meeting will most likely take place in November.

The rule change meeting is open to all members and will be held to discuss the proposed 2019 rule changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on the changes that will be presented to the MRA board for approval. Finalized rule changes for the 2019 season should firmed up before the end of the year.

When making your suggestion, be sure to cite the existing rule and what changes you are suggesting. If it is a new rule, please use the exact wording as you would like it to appear at the rule change meeting and possibly the rulebook.

If you want to discuss your rule change proposal, please start a separate thread on the forum.

If you have any questions please contact Shannon Moham TRKWILLYS@aol.com
    Last edited by TRK; December 30th, 2018 at 10:23 PM.

I have a few suggestions, some are just cleaning up of the wording. Each suggestion is separated by a horizontal line.

8.1 Operational Flags

Suggested change:
    - Rename to "Operational Flags/Lights"

8.1.A. Green Flag and/or Green Light: Indicates start of race or clear track conditions. At the start of a race a system of lights or a flag may be used.

Suggested changes:
    - Reword as follows: "Green Flag: Indicates start of race (when lights are not functioning) or clear track conditions. At the start of a race a system of lights or a flag may be used."
    - Add a sub-section that reads: The start of a race, when a system of lights is in use, will be indicated by the red light(s) going out. The red light(s) will only be illuminated after Start/Finish has confirmed all riders are properly gridded. The red light(s) will stay on for an unspecified amount of time (e.g. anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds), after which they will go out, indicating the start of the race.

8.1.D (meatball flag)

Suggested change:
    - Add: Start/Finish will display the meatball flag for 3 laps, or until the penalized rider acknowledges the penalty to Start/Finish.

All instances of "green flag/light":
    7.1.E (start procedure) "... Riders who are not properly staged at the green flag/light will be..."
    7.1.M (joining a race after the race has started) "... after the green flag/light was first displayed" & "... when the green flag/light is first displayed ..."
    7.2.2.A (finish position) "... a rider must start the race with the green flag/light or start while the race is in progress."

Suggested change:
    - Reword "green flag/light" to "green-flag/red-light"

7.1.B (pre-grid procedures)

Suggested change:
    - Add: Starting from pre-grid, after the race has started, will only be permitted until the halfway point of the race (as defined by 7.1.G).

7.1.H - Any race stopped with more than two of the laps run...

Suggested change:
    - Reword to add "(red flagged)", like 7.1.F, e.g.: "Any race stopped (red flagged) with more than two of the laps run..."

Section 7 - Race Procedures

In support of: 7.1.F (red flag with two or fewer laps completed); 7.1.H (red flag with more than two laps completed, but before being 50% complete), and; 7.1.I (red flag with more than 50% of the race completed):

Suggested change:
    - Add a definition of what designates a completed lap, e.g.: "A lap is considered complete when all competing riders have crossed Start/Finish or exited the track."

Section 7 - Race Procedures

Similar to above

Suggested change:
    - Add a definition of what designates a completed race, e.g.: "A race is considered complete when the checkered flag has been displayed and all competing riders have crossed Start/Finish or exited the track."

Abolish the Stop and Go penalty

Suggestion:
    For safety reasons, abolish the Stop and Go penalty, and replace it with a timed penalty (e.g. 15 seconds) to be added by Timing and Scoring. The meatball flag should still be displayed at Start/Finish, informing riders of their infraction.

Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Expert
    Section 2.8 Thunderbike
    2.8 Thunderbike
    This is an Amateur class allowing superbike modifications to the specifications listed below.The following bikes are permitted to compete, but must remain OEM displacement and are theonly bikes allowed to be over the below listed 850cc displacement limit: Aprilia Mille, ApriliaTuono, Ducati – 916 and 996 / Honda – RC-51, Superhawk VTR 100 / Triumph – Daytona 955and Speed Triple 955 / Suzuki – SV1000, TLS and TLR, and the Ducati Panigale up to 955cc.The Ducati Panigale must meet the supersport motor requirements as per 2.2.2.f. Homologationspecials exceeding the class displacement limits are excluded. This includes, but not limited toDucati models with SPS, R, and RS designations if they displace greater then 850cc.

• Up to 850cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, four-stroke
    • Up to 350cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, two-stroke
    • Up to 700cc three cylinder, four-stroke
    • Unlimited displacement two cylinder, air cooled, two valve
    • Unlimited displacement single cylinder

Suggestion: I would like to add the Ducati 999 (non "R" models) to the list of eligible motorcycles over the 850cc limit. I don't believe the Ducati 999 (non R) presents any significant advantage over the Aprilia RSV1000R of the Ducati Panigale that are currently allowed

Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    Having raced almost all of the bikes listed in this designation at one point or another, I agree with Joe - the 999 (non R) is no faster than an RSV1000R or an 899 Panigale

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post
    Section 2.8 Thunderbike
    2.8 Thunderbike
    This is an Amateur class allowing superbike modifications to the specifications listed below.The following bikes are permitted to compete, but must remain OEM displacement and are theonly bikes allowed to be over the below listed 850cc displacement limit: Aprilia Mille, ApriliaTuono, Ducati – 916 and 996 / Honda – RC-51, Superhawk VTR 100 / Triumph – Daytona 955and Speed Triple 955 / Suzuki – SV1000, TLS and TLR, and the Ducati Panigale up to 955cc.The Ducati Panigale must meet the supersport motor requirements as per 2.2.2.f. Homologationspecials exceeding the class displacement limits are excluded. This includes, but not limited toDucati models with SPS, R, and RS designations if they displace greater then 850cc.

• Up to 850cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, four-stroke
    • Up to 350cc two cylinder, liquid cooled, two-stroke
    • Up to 700cc three cylinder, four-stroke
    • Unlimited displacement two cylinder, air cooled, two valve
    • Unlimited displacement single cylinder

Suggestion: I would like to add the Ducati 999 (non "R" models) to the list of eligible motorcycles over the 850cc limit. I don't believe the Ducati 999 (non R) presents any significant advantage over the Aprilia RSV1000R of the Ducati Panigale that are currently allowed

MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Production 500 Rules- Change to more closely align with Junior Cup Rules in MotoAmerica

Both the MRA and UtahSBA currently have the most strict production cup rules in the country. In order to promote the competitiveness of the young riders joining our series, and further promote their ability to compete on a national level I believe both clubs should basically adopt the junior cup rules from MotoAmerica for the Production 500 class ONLY. This would allow bikes to be prepared once and be eligible for as many clubs and national races as possible without forcing multiple bike configurations to race with each club or in the national series.

Items that SHOULD be changed from the MotoAmerica rules:

Eliminate the age limit
    Eliminate the spec tire and tire quantity requirements
    Eliminate the MANDATORY quickshifter
    Eliminate the leveling provisions for minimum weight and rev limit
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Change 7.1.Q and 10.H to read as follows:
    Any motorcycle that has fallen/crashed may not re-enter the race surface or be ridden under its own power under any circumstance while the track is still hot. If the track is cold (the race has been stopped/red flagged or the session/race is complete) the track marshal may deem it safe for the bike to be ridden back to the paddock. Any motorcycle that has fallen/crashed may not participate again until after the next checkered flag has been displayed and the current race/session is complete, regardless of whether or not the motorcycle has passed a post-crash tech inspection.
    Reasoning – the checkered flag wording clarifies the grey area instance where a rider may crash on a warm up lap and still want to re-tech to join the same race. It further removes both the incentive and ability for a crashed motorcycle to be ridden back to the paddock for tech inspection while the race is still underway.

Remove 10.J and change 8.1.D to read as follows:
    Black Flag with 12” Orange Circle (Meatball Flag): Indicates that the rider has been issued a penalty, most likely for jumping the start of the race. A number board will be displayed with the flag indicating the rider being signaled. A twenty (20) second penalty will be applied to the riders result at the end of the race. The rider DOES NOT need to perform a “stop and go” penalty.
    Reasoning – the procedure of stop and go penalties is quite dangerous to both riders and spectators, particularly at tracks where spectating is allowed from the hot pit area. It’s easier and safer to simply add a known time penalty in the scoring software. The purpose of displaying the flag makes the rider aware that the penalty will be applied and they can ride accordingly.

Change 10.I to read as follows:
    After any crash and prior to participating in any race/session the rider must be seen and cleared by the Paramedic in attendance and the motorcycle must be re-inspected and approved by the VP of Rules and Tech or another MRA official designated by the VP of Rules and Tech.
    Reasoning - 10.I currently doesn't make sense without context, and I think it's good to add that the rider must at least visit the paramedics.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Member Novice
    Section 2.2.2 Subsection F

Unrestricted internal modifications of the OEM radiator may be made as long as the external materials and dimensions remain the same.

Suggested Change:

Unrestricted internal modifications of the OEM radiator may be made as long as the external materials and dimensions remain the same. An additional water radiator may be fitted but the appearance of the front, the rear and profile of the motorcycle must not be changed. Extra mounting brackets to accommodate the additional radiator are permitted.

Justification: I don't feel this is necessarily a performance advantage, and with the summers getting warmer and bikes running hotter I feel this will help keep competitors from destroying motors as well as bringing our rules more in line with Stock 1000 Motoamerica.

Senior Member Expert
    Change 7.1.G to read:

Sprint races are considered 50% complete when the leader (not the entire field) has completed 50% of the race laps in whole numbers. 50% of an odd number of laps is the number of laps plus one, then divided by two.

Timed races will be considered 50% complete when the leader crosses start/finish AFTER 50% of the race time has expired.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Junior Member Novice

Production 400 Rule Change

I would like to second this request. My son (and I) raced in the Production 400 (MRA) and 500 (USBA) classes this season and he will be racing MA Junior Cup races next year. I am faced with the possibility of only being able to race in CVMA and other organizations that allow builds consistent with the MA rules. Building two different bikes is a significant barrier to continuing club racing with both the MRA and USBA organizations, which would be a shame. Both clubs have been a great place for him to learn and I hope we can continue to do so. The Junior Cup is a great program to promote youth racing and syncing up club rules would be a great next step to promote the future of our sport.

Primary differences come down to allowing a cartridge kit in the forks, allowing thinner head gaskets and degreed cams in the engine and allowing a quick shifter. These are not huge expense items relative to the work we have to do with the stock forks to make them work while also complying with the existing production rules.

I also agree with the items that should differ from MA rules:

Eliminate the age limit
    Eliminate the leveling provisions for minimum weight and rev limit[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Production 500 Rules- Change to more closely align with Junior Cup Rules in MotoAmerica

Both the MRA and UtahSBA currently have the most strict production cup rules in the country. In order to promote the competitiveness of the young riders joining our series, and further promote their ability to compete on a national level I believe both clubs should basically adopt the junior cup rules from MotoAmerica for the Production 500 class ONLY. This would allow bikes to be prepared once and be eligible for as many clubs and national races as possible without forcing multiple bike configurations to race with each club or in the national series.

Items that SHOULD be changed from the MotoAmerica rules:

Eliminate the age limit
    Eliminate the leveling provisions for minimum weight and rev limit

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Suggestions are closed. I do have a few suggestions that were presented in person that I will post in the future. Thank you!

Shannon

Mohammer Time! Expert
    See above post.....

Two four hour endurance races with four hour champions for the combined overall finish of the qraces. Based on current point structure, but with a different tie breaker (total laps maybe?) purse money going to the overall finish. Two HPR or maybe one HPR one Pueblo?

Look at the eligibility of the KTM 790

look at the bike eligibility for modern vintage (need racer input for any additions or exceptions)

and LOR eligibility