Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestion for the 2018 Rulebook

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Rule Change Suggestion:

Motorcycles competing in Amateur GTO shall have a minimum displacement of 500cc.
    Against. The size of the bike isn't necessarily resulting in a slower rider. If you want to go that route, we should just exclude all the little bikes from all classes except production, ULWE, LWGP and Formula Colorado. One of the benefits of racing a little bike is it opens more classes to "race" in (we could all argue if the little bike is really racing competitively in AMO....). If you want to go another route, just say that you can't run in the classes unless you are able to get a certain time. Even if you did that, a good chunk of the grid would be excluded.

Junior Member Novice
    I'd like to propose a change to rule number 2:10 (Production Class Requirements). These bikes are overheating a lot. I lose coolant every time on on track. The KTM 390s are blowing up a lot. The CBRs and the R3s all run very hot. They aren't supposed to be run as hard as we run them. I've discussed this with several people and they all agree (except Ryan) about allowing larger radiators or pony radiators. These are not typically very expensive and are a true safety enhancement. The proposal is to allow radiators of unlimited origin in production class.

Junior Member Novice
    Related to combining MW Endurance with HW Endurance rather than keeping it with LW and ULW Endurance. I concur. I would race endurance but don't because of this issue. Its dangerous and it will bite us one day soon... I did read that some riders see the "Sketchiness" as a challenge. Sounds like a recipe for disaster...
    Last edited by bjackson; September 25th, 2017 at 02:03 PM.

WolFeYeZ
    I think we need some data on this ULW/LW/MW/HW/O Endurance issue, to bring things into perspective. This isn't perfect data, but it might give you an idea of the breakdown of riders. Below is the best I have access to, the number of riders who have scored points this season in each of these 5 races:

Open Endurance: 30
    Heavyweight End: 27
    Middleweight End: 39
    Lightweight End: 12
    Ultra Lightweight: 23

Looking at this, it looks like there are more Middleweight riders than Lightweight and Ultralightweight combined.

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by bjackson View Post
    I'd like to propose a change to rule number 2:10 (Production Class Requirements). These bikes are overheating a lot. I lose coolant every time on on track. The KTM 390s are blowing up a lot. The CBRs and the R3s all run very hot. They aren't supposed to be run as hard as we run them. I've discussed this with several people and they all agree (except Ryan) about allowing larger radiators or pony radiators. These are not typically very expensive and are a true safety enhancement. The proposal is to allow radiators of unlimited origin in production class.

Concur. Who cares what Ryan thinks....

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducdreamin View Post
    While it seems like common sense, I think it should be stipulated that if you intentionally touch another rider or their bike, you will be ejected for the weekend. Zero exceptions.
    Totally agree. Touching the controls of another riders motorcycle should be made illegal. It is a safety concern, not funny, and should be a common sense rule. The only exception being when a crashed riders bike needs to be turned off.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by shRED View Post
    To me this is sufficiently covered by Section 10, item C, which gives MRA officials complete authority to penalize dangerous riding at their discretion without qualification or limitation. This plenary power is more than sufficient to address any circumstance. Writing rules that require mandatory ejection take power away from MRA officials to consider all the facts and circumstances of a case, which I disagree with. Personally, I have heard zero complaints about this actually being an issue in any case, so another rule seems unnecessary since we have such a powerful rule as is.
    I actually complained to Jim Wilson about this at HPR as my bike was turned off on the cool down lap leaving me in a dangerous situation. Nothing was done.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins View Post
    I run a $1300 1992 Suzuki GS500 with almost NO mods, and I am competitive. Won the 500 Prod championship 2 years ago on it. No changes to Production are needed or warranted.
    I have less than $3K invested in my 2008 ex500 and won 500 Prod last year and am leading it this year. Don't need a lot of money to run up front. I agree with Tony. Most suggestions for allowable mods are for safety concerns, not performance.

Senior Member Amateur

Tomfoolery

I actually complained to Jim Wilson about this at HPR as my bike was turned off on the cool down lap leaving me in a dangerous situation. Nothing was done.
    1. It is illegal, it is dangerous riding. 2. "Nothing was done" or you did not directly see what was done? Those can be very different things.

Or you could just pin your on/off switch and be done with it.
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Pinning the switch open is also a safety hazard for many reasons as it nearly negates the point of having one there. I had noticed a few riders doing this last year and brought it to the club's attention. It is not recommended to do this.

After thinking about it and reading the thoughtful responses, I take back my two suggestions:

1. Blue Flags - Too difficult to implement, and safe passing is the responsibility of the passing rider. I am OK with that.
    2. 500cc Minimum for Amateur GTO - It is really the same thing as blue flags in the sense that the passing rider should do so safely. Anyone can run anything in that class.

I deleted my original posts.
    John McKown
    MRA #15 Expert

Regarding Sub-Frames for Supersport Classes

The late model Yamaha R1 has a cast magnesium subframe, which shatters in even a seemingly minor low-side crash.
    After witnessing several riders shattering their sub-frames, I would like to be able to replace mine with an aluminum one for better crash protection.
    I don't believe that the aluminum one would be a lot lighter (if at all), but it would make the bike safer and more durable.
    There are currently riders racing with broken magnesium subframes on their R1s because they don’t want to violate supersport rules.

The current rule for subframe on page 8 of the rulebook (section 2.2.2 C,I) reads:
    "i. Sub frame, but must be constructed of the same material as the original part."

Suggested Change:
    "i. Sub frame, but must be constructed of the same material. Cast magnesium OEM subframes may be replaced with aluminum subframes for durability.”
    John McKown
    MRA #15 Expert

Junior Member Novice
    I'd like to make a suggestion to remove the KTM 690 from the Colorado class and Ultralight classes. They are clearly way more powerful than anything else in the Formula Colorado class. Since we use Colorado class rules for Ultralight, they would both be affected by removing them from the Formula Colorado class.

Member Amateur
    You are totally correct sir, I didn't think about that! The biggest problem is when a rider is in the back either due to lack of experience or speed their lines are far less stable or consistent so maybe we can coach them to just maintain their lines better ( or take the race line.... ) LOL.
    Jared Dear - MRA #48

Quik Cycles, Sol Performance, Pirelli tires

Senior Member Amateur

Supermono Classes / ULW

I'd like to make a suggestion to remove the KTM 690 from the Colorado class and Ultralight classes. They are clearly way more powerful than anything else in the Formula Colorado class. Since we use Colorado class rules for Ultralight, they would both be affected by removing them from the Formula Colorado class.
    Re: KTM 690 ineligible for Colorado Class: Against. This bike is exactly what a Supermono should be and in my view exemplifies what the class should aspire to. This is the premier supermono bike in Europe at present, built with good horsepower and significantly lighter (stock) than similarly powered twins. This engine platform is the future of Supermono: Kraemer is making bespoke race bikes around the KTM 690 engine and they are sweet.

Also, any major class change like this should come with a one year notice period so affected racers could modify their race program accordingly. Changing class requirements willy nilly isn't a great way to build a long-term base of racers for a club, and is really only a good way to eliminate, rather than bolster, competition.

Re: KTM 690 ineligible for ULW Endurance: Support. This was raised by the affected parties last year, should be raised again. I agree the KTM 690 should not qualify as ULW.
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by shRED View Post
    Re: KTM 690 ineligible for Colorado Class: Against. This bike is exactly what a Supermono should be and in my view exemplifies what the class should aspire to. This is the premier supermono bike in Europe at present, built with good horsepower and significantly lighter (stock) than similarly powered twins. This engine platform is the future of Supermono: Kraemer is making bespoke race bikes around the KTM 690 engine and they are sweet.

Also, any major class change like this should come with a one year notice period so affected racers could modify their race program accordingly. Changing class requirements willy nilly isn't a great way to build a long-term base of racers for a club, and is really only a good way to eliminate, rather than bolster, competition.

Re: KTM 690 ineligible for ULW Endurance: Support. This was raised by the affected parties last year, should be raised again. I agree the KTM 690 should not qualify as ULW.
    I'm with shRED on this. I race a 690, and the Colorado Class is it's natural home. The original purpose of the class was to be a venue for single cylinder racers; other bikes have been added over the years as they become uncompetitive elsewhere. The Colorado Class should be the place for no-holds-barred single cylinder bikes. If 690s come to dominate the class so be it: It happens to be the best single cylinder racing engine out there right now. On the other hand, I do agree that it's a little out of place in Ultra Lightweight Endurance. I race it there because the rule book says I can, but if I am required to switch to Lightweight Endurance I will, and I think that's fair enough.

Stephen Husbands
    MRA 30

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    Current rule: 2.7.A Endurance races consist of amateur classes including ultra lightweight, lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight, and open categories. Unlimited frame and engine combinations are allowed. Displacement specifications for ultra lightweight (based on formula colorado section 2.4.1.2), lightweight (based on lightweight grand prix section 2.4.1.1), and for other classes (middleweight, heavyweight, and open classes section 2.3.2).

New Rule: 2.7.A Endurance races consist of amateur classes including ultra lightweight, lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight, and open categories. Unlimited frame, engine combinations, and modifications are allowed. Displacement specifications for ultra lightweight (based on production cup 500 section 2.10), lightweight (based on lightweight grand prix section 2.4.1.1), and for other classes (middleweight, heavyweight, and open classes section 2.3.2).

Current Rule: 2.7.B Points will accumulate throughout the year toward class championships.

New Rule: 2.7.B Points will accumulate throughout the year toward class championships. If the MRA decides to host a 4-Hour Endurance race, all racers who wish to earn points for the regular Endurance Championship must compete in the 4-Hour endurance. If competing as a solo endurance rider (iron butt) you must finish at least 50% of the classes winning lap amount to earn points. If competing as a team endurance rider (True Endurance or Pony Express) you must finish at least 25% of your teams total lap count in order to earn points. All riders that meet the points requirements for the 4-hour endurance will receive 25 points towards their respective endurance championship for their participation.

Current Rule: 2.10.G Fuel injected motorcycles may utilize an aftermarket tuning device for the purpose of fuel management only.

New Rule: 2.10.G Fuel injected motorcycles may utilize an aftermarket tuning device for the purpose of fuel, ignition, and rpm management only.

Current Rule: 2.10.J Rear Shock may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

New Rule: 2.10.J Rear Shock may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin, frame trimming allowed to fit shock. (See Also 2.10.S)

Current Rule 2.10.S Parts which are not critical to bodywork or integral support may be removed, but they must be removed at the stock mounting or bolting point. Cutting of materials or frame is prohibited with the exception of the kickstand bracket and rear foot peg brackets which may be removed for safety and ground clearance. The countershaft sprocket cover may also be modified or removed.

New Rule: 2.10.S Parts which are not critical to bodywork or integral support may be removed, but they must be removed at the stock mounting or bolting point. Cutting of materials or frame is prohibited with the exception of the rear shock mount, kickstand bracket and rear foot peg brackets which may be removed for safety and ground clearance. The countershaft sprocket cover may also be modified or removed.

Current Rule 2.10.U none

New Rule 2.10.U Cooling systems must remain stock with the exception of aftermarket radiator caps.

Current Rule 7.1.J When restarting or scoring a red-flagged race, racers will be re-gridded or scored as to their running order at the completion of the lap preceding the lap in which the red flag was displayed. If the race is restarted, racers who crash or retire from a race before or during the red flag lap will be re-gridded at the back of the grid behind all non-crashing/non-retiring racers in the order in which they last crossed start/finish. If the race is determined to be complete and the race was stopped due to a rider(s) crash, the rider(s) involved will finish at the back of their respective lap group. i.e. a rider causing the red flag was in 5th place at the time of the red flag, there were 10 riders on the lead lap, and 15 riders started the race. The involved rider would be scored in 10th place.

New Rule 7.1.J 7.1.J When restarting or scoring a red-flagged race, racers will be re-gridded or scored as to their running order at the completion of the lap preceding the lap in which the red flag was displayed. If the race is restarted, racers who crash or retire from a race before or during the red flag lap will be re-gridded at the back of the grid behind all non-crashing/non-retiring racers in the order in which they last crossed start/finish. If the race is determined to be complete and the race was stopped due to a rider(s) crash, the rider(s) involved will finish in last place regardless of their position in the race at the time of the crash. (See 7.2.2.B for points allocatoin)

Current Rule 7.2.2.B Any rider who does not complete the full race distance for any reason will be awarded a finish position based on the distance they completed.

New Rule 7.2.2.B Any rider who does not complete the full race distance for any reason other than crashing will be awarded a finish position based on the distance they completed. If you crash out of the race you will be awarded 0 points regardless of your finish position.

Current Rule 10.L none

New Rule 10.L The race surface is defined as any area of the race track inside of the the walls/fence that separates the racers from the spectators. This includes hot pit lane during the race.

Current Rule 10.M none

New Rule 10.M The start of the race is defined by when the the grid marshal allows bikes to be on the track for the warm up lap. While not a scored lap, the warm up lap is considered to be a part of the race and all of the race rules apply to the warm up lap.
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Regarding the ULW/LW/MW/HW/O Endurance issue, I propose no change to running ULW/LW/MW together. Yet, LW and ULW riders must be experts, or obtain approval by the New Rider Instructor.
    The intent of this restriction is to keep brand new riders just of the street from running a Ninja 250 and mixing it up with the 600s.
    Rod Mattison -- '05 SV650, MRA # 26
    STM Suspension, Pirelli Tires, Vortex Racing, EarthX Batteries.

I propose running an endurance race with a LeMans Start for at least one race next season.
    Rod Mattison -- '05 SV650, MRA # 26
    STM Suspension, Pirelli Tires, Vortex Racing, EarthX Batteries.

WolFeYeZ
    Current: 2.2.2-C-i- Sub frame, but must be constructed of the same material as the original part.
    Suggestion: 2.2.2-C-i- Sub frame, but must be constructed of the same material as the original part. OEM subframes of magnesium material may downgrade to aluminum subframes.

Remove: 12.3.F “Except under extraordinary circumstances (as determined by the MRA
    board)”

Add: In the area of 12.2 Inspection Covenants, it would be great to have more documentation behind supersport and production tear downs. At the very least, it would be best to have some written documentation surrounding the posting of teardown results.

Current: 2.2.2-C-r - Standard fasteners may be replaced with after-market fasteners of the same
    material and design. Fasteners may be drilled for safety wire but intentional weight-saving modifications are not permitted. Fairing/bodywork fasteners may be changed to quick-disconnect type.
    Suggetion: 2.2.2-C-r - Standard fasteners may be replaced with after-market fasteners of the same
    material and design. Aluminum fasteners may be downgraded to steel fasteners. Fasteners may be drilled for safety wire but intentional weight-saving modifications are not permitted. Fairing/bodywork fasteners may be changed to quick-disconnect type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12