Thread: 2017 rule changes

Mohammer Time! Expert

2017 rule changes

Suggestions for the 2017 Rulebook

Suggestions for the 2017 Rulebook are now open and will be accepted until Saturday October 1st, 2016 (rules suggestions will not be accepted after 2400hrs on October 1st 2016). Once the list is compiled, the proposed rule changes will be sent out to all members. Rule changes can be submitted to Shannon Moham, Brett Leveque or any rider representative. The preferred method would be for racers to submit rule changes via the rule change thread on the MRA forums.

We've changed the venue and scenery for the rule change meeting over the last few years, so I am up for suggestions on where to have it. The rule change meeting will most likely take place in November.
    The rule change meeting is open to all members and will be held to discuss the proposed 2017 rule changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on the changes that will be presented to the MRA board for approval. Finalized rule changes for the 2017 season should firmed up before the end of the year.

When making your suggestion, be sure to cite the existing rule and what changes you are suggesting. If it is a new rule, please use the exact wording as you would like it to appear at the rule change meeting and possibly the rulebook.

If you want to discuss your rule change proposal, please start a separate thread on the forum.

If you have any questions please contact Shannon (TRKWillys@aol.com).
    Last edited by TRK; September 5th, 2017 at 02:44 AM.

Senior Member Amateur
    1. 8.2(f) The track marshal can make the decision not to assess a penalty if the passingrider had no choice in which to pass. As long as the pass does not gain therider a position they will not need to let the passed rider pass them back toavoid a penalty. (This will only apply in the case of lapped riders or ridersfrom other classes.) Suggestion: Delete this entire paragraph.

2. Start doing practices by times, not Novice, Expert fast, medium and slow.

Senior Member Amateur Ducdreamin's Avatar
    Add to 2.2.2 and 2.10
    Up to 2 bikes per class, chosen at random, may be “teched” for class compliance immediately following the race. Drawn bikes will be noted on grids. Violations will void participation in that race and NO points will be awarded to that racer for that race.

Junior Member Novice
    Update Production Cup displacement rule to allow the new 4 cylinder Kawasaki 250 into either the Production 400 or 500 class.. Currently the rule states twin cylinder bikes only. It is claiming 40 HP which makes it a good candidate for 400 class.

1 ) change schedule so ROR and PROD are not back to back ,,,, 2) make the production race more laps since its a qualifying race and is always a close battle .. maybe 10 not 7 laps ( or similar for shorter tracks ,,,,, 3) air filters allowed in prod ( no real gain just convenience of maintenance )
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Amateur
    I will have to work on wording, but I want to get some thoughts here. I noticed a number of time people going off track and coming back on without a corner workers' assistance. Twice I had people pull back onto the track right in front of me and I was on the brakes hard. Did not notice the numbers and I was focused on not crashing. I'm thinking that if anyone comes onto the track without corner worker assistance, they will void participation in that race and NO points will be awarded to that racer for that race. And, anyone who goes off track twice in any one race, void participation in that race and NO points will be awarded to that racer for that race.
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Junior Member Novice
    2.7 Endurance
    Move middleweights out of ultralight\lightweight endurance.

There's a big grid and a lot of speed disparity that creates a lot of lapped traffic and encourages unnecessarily aggressive riding in UL. The slow middleweights have way too much power to pass on exit so they're getting dive bombed by multiple ultralights into the same turn which has caused at least one crash this year that I know of.

2.10 Production Cup
    Brake master cylinder may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

I've changed rotor, pads, and put in $$$$ fluid, but still get terrible brake fade to the point where it's a safety concern.
    Last edited by big_sur; September 8th, 2016 at 11:20 AM.

Member Amateur
    2.7.A
    There's too many dangerous scenarios and accidents in Middleweight / LW / ULW endurance. ULW groups getting in the way of fast 600s, slow 600s passing ULW and slamming on the brakes in front of them, ULW packs flying into the back of slower groups of LW / 600s.
    Alternative solutions:
    - Riders must qualify within x% of fastest practice time of registered riders in their endurance class.
    - Middleweight gets moved to the Heavyweight / Open endurance, leaving LW / ULW as it's own endurance race.

2.7.A
    Currently allows colorado class bikes in ultralightweight endurance. ULW should be production cup bikes, everything else should race LW
    New Rule: Displacement specifications for Ultra Lightweight (based on Production class rules section 2.10).
    - Joe

Senior Member Expert

Add the following bikes to the exemption list (allowing participation in MVGTO):

2006-2007 Honda CBR1000rr
    2006-2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2007- 2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    2007-2008 Yamaha YZF-R1

Rationale:

All of these model year series were replaced with all new models in the 08/09 time frame and are distinctly different than the showroom new bike of today (whereas the 2008 and 2016 CBR1000rr are the same and the 2009 and 2016 GSX-R1000 are essentially the same). Thus they meet the long standing intent of modern vintage as a class and should be exempted from the freeze. Also will boost grid sizes and make for better racing.

Note: I left out MW bikes b/c I haven't paid attention and don't know enough to suggest other exemptions in that field.

Senior Member Expert
    2.2.2 Section C

Add subsection:

y: Open Supersport Only: Adjustable Swingarm Pivot, Rear Suspension Linkage, Steering Stem Insert and Triple Clamps

Rationale: Better align Open Supersport rules with 2017 MotoAmerica 1000 Superstock rules.

Note: Leaving out the frame modification, swingarm bracing and modification parts of the MotoAmerica changes - just incorporating the easy bolt on stuff.

Senior Member Amateur
    Bring up Glenn's suggestion from last year about point paid out.

I propose a change to section 7.3 Point Awards.

I think our current points system makes it too easy for championships to be locked up and out of reach prior to the end of the season. Under the current points system there is a 17% gap from 1st to 2nd and a 63% gap from 1st to 10th. This is too great a disparity to foster close competition.

It's my understanding that the current system was put in place in order to encourage participation (and financial contribution to the club) by:

1) Awarding points further down in the standings, so that riders in 16th and below actually got points rather than getting zero (as it was under the old system)
    2) Encouraging championship contenders to return after a crash/DNF by increasing the rewards of the higher finishes other than the crash/DNF

If the goal is to keep participants coming back, then I agree that we need to award points beyond 15th place. However, I would argue that once a championship is clinched there is far less incentive for ANYONE in the class to continue showing up and spending money. If the goal is to keep people participating (and therefore spending money), then the points should be such that it's harder, not easier, to clinch a championship prior to the final round.

I propose that section 7.3 read as follows:

1st - 40
    2nd - 36
    3rd - 33
    4th - 31
    5th - 29
    6th - 27
    7th - 25
    8th - 23
    9th - 22
    10th - 21
    11th - 20
    12th - 19
    13th - 18
    14th - 17
    15th - 16
    16th - 15
    17th - 14
    18th - 13
    19th - 12
    20th - 11
    21st - 10
    22nd - 9
    23rd - 8
    24th - 7
    25th - 6
    26th - 5
    27th - 4
    28th - 3
    29th - 2
    30th - 1

This system still provides points and incentives to those that finish below 15th. However instead of the 17% gap to 2nd place and the 63% gap to 10th place, there is a 10% gap to 2nd and a 47% gap to 10th.

I studied the points of two very competitive classes in the MRA - MWSS and RoR Overall. Under the current points, both championships are clinched, the last round doesn't matter. Under the proposed system, however, in both classes not only would 2nd place have a mathematical shot at championship, but the 3rd place participant would only be a single point out of mathematical contention in the final round.

If you want to keep people coming back, and thereby keep the club healthy, then we need to keep more participants "in the hunt" so that the last round actually matters.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducdreamin View Post
    Add to 2.2.2 and 2.10
    Up to 2 bikes per class, chosen at random, may be “teched” for class compliance immediately following the race. Drawn bikes will be noted on grids. Violations will void participation in that race and NO points will be awarded to that racer for that race.
    ABSOLUTLY!!! Stay with the rules for Novice. even weigh the bikes like the AMA does

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER View Post
    1 ) 3) air filters allowed in prod ( no real gain just convenience of maintenance )

2nd this. It's just an air filter

President Expert
    Section 7 - Race Procedures

Current:

F. When a race is stopped (red flagged) before two or fewer laps are completed, it will require a restart in original positions with crashing or retiring racers being gridded last.

Proposed:

F. When a race is stopped (red flagged) before two or fewer lap are completed as determined by the timing and scoring system, it will require a restart in original positions with crashing or retiring racers being gridded last.
    MRA #29

Member Amateur
    Clarify Formula Colorado Class Rules for air cooled four stroke twins - as of right, it's a little ambiguous...

2.4.1 Class Displacement and Configuration Limits

Class limits are set as follows:

Formula Colorado
    • Up to 430cc two cylinder, two-stroke, air-cooled
    • Up to 550cc single cylinder, two-stroke
    • Unlimited single cylinder, four-stroke
    • Up to 600cc two cylinder, four-stroke, liquid cooled, four valves per cylinder
    • Up to 700cc two cylinder, four-stroke, liquid cooled, three valves per cylinder
    Triumph Thruxton 900, Ducati 620 Supersport should be something like..... "up to XXXcc two cylinder, four stroke, air cooled xx valves per cylinder, exemptions included (blah blah specific bike)

Senior Member Amateur
    2.4.1 Class Displacement and Configuration Limits

Class limits are set as follows:

Formula Colorado
    • Up to 430cc two cylinder, two-stroke, air-cooled
    • Up to 550cc single cylinder, two-stroke
    • Unlimited single cylinder, four-stroke
    • Up to 600cc two cylinder, four-stroke, liquid cooled, four valves per cylinder
    • Up to 700cc two cylinder, four-stroke, liquid cooled, three valves per cylinder
    Up to 805 CC two cylinder, four stroke, air cooled, two valves per cylinder
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_tiller View Post
    Bring up Glenn's suggestion from last year about point paid out.

I propose a change to section 7.3 Point Awards.

I think our current points system makes it too easy for championships to be locked up and out of reach prior to the end of the season.
    With this points system, there is no way to lock up a championship with 7 races. If a racer wins 6 races and has 1 DNF, it would hand the championship to the racer always finishing 2nd.
    In fact, you could easily have a class champion who didn't win any races.

Q.
    On applicable models, a shark fin or chain guard is recommended to prevent
    a rider’s toes or fingers from getting caught in the sprocket. A brake guard is
    recommended to prevent accidental contact of the front brake lever.

Remove "recommended" and add "required" for a front brake lever guard
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Allow slick tires in middleweight and heavyweight supersport. I've noticed the other clubs we have raced with/are looking to race with have moved to slicks in all the SS classes.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    I believe we discussed this at last year's rules committee meeting and it may be on the agenda anyway.... make brake lever guards a requirement starting in 2017.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm travelingl and don't have access to a real computer, so I won't be stating the current rules or edited rules. If needed, I can do this when I return after the deadline. Below are the changes that I feel would be helpful.
    1. Clubman points should be awarded for classes that are open to all competitors but not to those that exclude competitors based upon a competitor’s age or sex. Certain classes are “fun” classes and those who are prevented from participating in the fun classes should not be at a disadvantage in Clubman.
    2. If a competitor is determined as causing a red flag, that rider should be docked one lap if they are able to restart. Examples are leaking oil on the track or being the obvious first/initiating rider in a crash. We should discourage riders from causing serious incidents more than we do.
    3. The previous season's number one plate holder should be eligible to have his/her next season's race license paid by the MRA. They should not have any race entry fees paid by the MRA.
    4. “Middleweight” and “GTU” four cylinder, four-stroke, three or more valves per cylinder motorcycles should be limited to 600cc or less. The latest generation ZX6R has a significant advantage over all other middleweight bikes and belongs in the heavyweight class.
    5. Racers without an MRA license (i.e. those competing on a reciprocal license) should not be awarded points in the classes in which they compete prior to obtaining an MRA license. We should not let visiting racers who have no interest in championship points affect championship points.

Member Amateur
    Production Cup is currently 250/400/500

If 250 bikes are phased out of prod cup scoring, no longer a stand alone 250 class
    1. Allow unlimited engine modifications to increase the bore and stroke to no greater than the new prod cup classification 400/500, 350/500.

This will allow those that have 250's to continue to campaign them, against the bigger CC bikes. This is a cheaper solution to trying to sell the 250 to another club and build a new prod racer.

WolFeYeZ
    1. Allow slicks in middleweight and heavyweight supersport. Align the rule with Open supersport.
    2. Add some sort of handicapping for stock 636cc motors in supersport races. Built to supersport spec they seem to have a large horsepower advantage over 600cc motors. Examples of possible handicaps: minimum bike weights, spec fuel or removing of certain modifications allowed in supersport.

I propose that Modern Vintage O and U use a Lemans Start.

Bikes are off and on one side of the track. Riders are on the other side. The red light goes off. Riders run across the track, hop on their bike. They start their bike and take off.
    Last edited by Electroman; September 30th, 2016 at 10:04 PM.
    Rod Mattison -- '05 SV650, MRA # 26
    STM Suspension, Pirelli Tires, Vortex Racing, EarthX Batteries.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Closed. I will add a few items that were emailed to me when I compose a list of suggestions.
    shannon