Thread: Help a new guy get started

Junior Member Novice

Help a new guy get started

Hi, I'm a new racer this year. I'm trying to get everything ready for Pueblo but it's a bit hard finding information especially since PMP changed management.
    I have a suit, helmet, back protector, gloves, boots, and a bike. I've been to Ricky's race school, I have a number and a license. Still working on a generator, tire warmers, fire extinguisher, transponder, and getting my bike ready for tech. I've read through the rulebook a couple times.

I tried to get in contact with the person who does tech (I guess that changed this year too) but haven't heard back. I would be willing to do Friday night tech, apparently they need help there. I am very good at machines and electronics. I have an engineering degree and I was a helicopter mechanic. I would also like to get my bike looked at Friday so I can try to fix anything I need to race Saturday.

What will the schedule be for PMP? (On the 29th) What time do I have to be there, how do I do tech, what time is tech open, etc. I'll be by myself so how do I get my bike (without sidestand) to wherever tech is with my gear and bodywork for inspection?

I'm going to buy a transponder, looks like this one will work:
    http://www.mylaps.com/en/products/x2...nder-bike/1623
    and it looks like I need my transponder number before I can register in racewurx for a race.

I tried to make the meeting last night but couldn't, so I am hoping I can get some questions answered here. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by imsolidstate View Post
    Hi, I'm a new racer this year. I'm trying to get everything ready for Pueblo but it's a bit hard finding information especially since PMP changed management.
    I have a suit, helmet, back protector, gloves, boots, and a bike. I've been to Ricky's race school, I have a number and a license. Still working on a generator, tire warmers, fire extinguisher, transponder, and getting my bike ready for tech. I've read through the rulebook a couple times.

I tried to get in contact with the person who does tech (I guess that changed this year too) but haven't heard back. I would be willing to do Friday night tech, apparently they need help there. I am very good at machines and electronics. I have an engineering degree and I was a helicopter mechanic. I would also like to get my bike looked at Friday so I can try to fix anything I need to race Saturday.

What will the schedule be for PMP? (On the 29th) What time do I have to be there, how do I do tech, what time is tech open, etc. I'll be by myself so how do I get my bike (without sidestand) to wherever tech is with my gear and bodywork for inspection?

I'm going to buy a transponder, looks like this one will work:
    http://www.mylaps.com/en/products/x2...nder-bike/1623
    and it looks like I need my transponder number before I can register in racewurx for a race.

I tried to make the meeting last night but couldn't, so I am hoping I can get some questions answered here. Thanks.
    If you head to the contact page on the main website, you'll find contact info there for all of the board members. For PMP, I'm unsure of the full schedule myself, but I'd imagine it'll go the way it has in the past. Practice day for us Friday, tech will open at some point that evening after the track is cold for those that have pre-registered and been checked in. Saturday morning, tech opens at 0630.

There are plenty of us around that would be willing to help you out there if you need it. Pull the lower from your bike and roll it over to tech inspection for them to look over. Safety wire the items that need to be done and make sure everything else is in good condition on the bike, really all there is to it. They'll have you roll it up on a ramp to be looked over.

As for the transponder, I'm not sure about the new X2s. I have an AMB 260, think that's what most others use as well. If you can't source one by then or get a definite answer, there are rentals available, $50 for the weekend. Those can be checked out in the office when they open.

Tire warmers, check the classifieds here, over at the WERA forums, the TDJ FaceBook group and their other Yard Sale page. Pretty good odds of you finding warmers and transponder there. Or, you can always buy new. Chicken Hawk, Vortex, PSR (which I believe is carried by Performance Cycle now) and Moto-D (can be sourced locally).

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...ng-kit.331296/
    Rich

Junior Member Novice
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize everyone's contact info was on the MRA page, I'll try calling Brett directly.

Isn't the X2 the replacement for the 260 which is no longer available for purchase? The X2 is a lot cheaper.

Junior Member Novice
    Yeah the X2 transponder is the new version. The stopped manufacturing the 260s. The new ones are cheaper, but they get you with the subscription fee each year. Sounds like the new subscription ones are just to make more money off you, but I believe there is an online profile as well that shows your times and such if the track is using the myLaps system.

I've got a noob question as well. Do you all camp out at the track over the weekend? Also, is it a bad idea to plan on arriving Saturday morning?

President Expert
    Race day schedule can be found here - http://www.mra-racing.org/schedule/race-day-schedule/ Friday is not included since usually the track does the open lapping day. However, we will be doing it at Pueblo the first round. The schedule for Friday, April 29th, will be announced soon.

The VP of Rules and Tech, Brett Leveque, contact info can be found on the MRA website under contacts - http://www.mra-racing.org/contact-us/

The X2 Transponder is the replacement for the Tranx260 and will work with our decoder.
    MRA #29