Thread: Safety wire and oil containment

Junior Member Novice

Safety wire and oil containment

Hi everyone, new racer here trying to get my bike ready. I used to work on helicopters so I've done lots of safetywire, and I work on my own bike so I think I have most of it done but I can't figure out what oil lines are required. The rulebook seems a little vague in my opinion.

I've wired the filter, drain and filler. What isn't as obvious is the oil lines that connect various oil passages (rubber hose with banjo bolts), oil galley plugs, or bolts on the engine case/transmission that might have oil behind them. For example on my old GSXR there are at least six bolts on the engine that are drilled and tapped straight through into the engine case (clutch cover, starter clutch cover, engine case halves). Then theres at least three galley plugs which will be challenging to get wired. Are these considered "nuts or fittings which drain fluid when removed"? And oil lines with banjo bolts, required to safety wire? I'm assuming they aren't required as it seems a bit overkill but I would like to know before I try to pass tech.

Sorry to be so pedantic but I'm new to this and hope to be able to race at Pueblo in a couple weeks. Thanks.

Pretty much what we are looking for is to have anything wired that is going to have oil pressure behind it. There might be a bolt or two on a case cover that has a copper washer behind it, those should be wired. The drain for the water pump or cooling system is one that gets missed a lot.

Junior Member Novice
    Thanks for the clarification, I'll keep working on it.