Thread: Brake rotor upgrade opinions wanted

Member Novice

Brake rotor upgrade opinions wanted

I'm a hobby track rider and am looking upgrade my rotors on a built 2005 gsxr1000. I may race eventually, but not until my times improve. I'm on the verge of breaking 2:00 at HPR. I have entry level Brembo monobloc calipers, Ferodo xrac pads, Brembo mc and stock gsxr1000 rotors. the rotors i'm interested in are: Galfer Superbike, EBC XC, Brembo t-drive, Brembo HP, and Brake Tech Axis/Cobra rotors. Do you have an opinion about what would increase performance the most, and which would last the longest? I understand that iron increases braking friction the best but i'm not sure i want to deal with the rust. does the rust cause performance issues by clogging or glazing the pads? or is the rust simply cosmetic? the bike is pretty beat up and i don't care about looks at all. In regards to the Axis/Cobras have you seen any problems with this design? They seem ingenious and would result in very long last rotors due to the non-load bearing buttons. Thanks!

President Expert
    Your times will improve once you start racing. You will push yourself and learn a lot more when you are on the track with more experienced riders. Don't get caught up with trying to have the fanciest brakes, or other components on your bike. The brakes on your 2005 GSXR1000 are already very good. The two biggest upgrades you can make are an aftermarket master cylinder and brake pads, both of which you have. If you plan to stick with the Ferodo pads, I'd suggest the CP1 over the XRAC. If you are looking to make a change, Vesrah are very good pads.
    And as far as the BrakeTech ductile iron rotors, I never had a problem with them rusting when I ran them but there is always that possibility if they get wet and sit for a long time.
    MRA #29