Thread: 2016 MRA Board of Directors Candidate Biographies

President Expert

Exclamation 2016 MRA Board of Directors Candidate Biographies

Here are the biographies received from Candidates for the upcoming election.

Ballots are in the printing stage as we speak. Election meeting is November 11th at The Walnut Room, 3131 Walnut Street, Denver, CO 80205 Meeting starts at 7:00 pm. All ballots must be turned in by start of meeting, and the new Board of Directors will be announced at the end of the meeting.

Candidate Biographies

Jim Wilson
    Presidential Candidate

As the sitting President I want to thank you for electing me and trusting me to lead the club these last two years. As we come into election time I appreciate your consideration in having me continue in this roll.

This election has the lowest number of incumbents running that I can remember. As a result leadership and experience are going to be important in the first months following the election. With new people sure to take positions as our Track Marshal, VP of Rules and Tech and PR roles, as well as a mid-season change of Treasurer in 2015, an experienced leader at the helm is necessary. As a club we have faced a number of challenges in the past two years, not the least of which included events with inclement weather. It is always difficult to choose wisely in these situations to assure that the needs of the members are addressed. In many cases there are no good choices, and it is in these times that the experience of leadership and club operations is most valuable. In the following paragraphs I’m going to lay out some of my history with the club and articulate why you should re-elect me as your President for another 2 years.

Above I shared an example of the types of challenges we’ve faced as a club during my presidency. We’ve also had some great successes over the past couple of years. Working with the Board of Directors and a number of outside entities we have been able to improve the user experience on our website, while reducing costs to the club and gaining control of the content. We’ve also enhanced safety at our tracks through a coordinated effort with the Road Racing World Action fund to secure additional sections of Air Fence and helping with the support at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb by donating our time and equipment to enhance the safety of that event.

I have been privileged to serve this club in many capacities over the years. I have been an instructor for the MRA New Rider School and served on the air fence crew from 2007-09. From 2009-10, I was elected to the MRA Board as Rider Representative handling Public Relations and Events. In these two years I was able to build an MRA presence in the local dealers and riding community by creating and distributing various media such as posters and flyers, and attending local riding events and open houses.
    In 2011, I was appointed Vice President for the 2012 season and then re-elected for the 2013-14 seasons. The major responsibilities of this position were membership and contingency. Both of these were new challenges for me which I was able to meet and exceed to the club’s expectations. The experience I have gained from this has been invaluable and has provided me greater enthusiasm towards serving a larger role on your club’s board.

The past two seasons, I have served as your President. If re-elected President, I will continue to commit myself to maintaining a high level of service to the membership and board of this club by ensuring that my responsibilities and job duties are performed accurately and in a timely manner. I plan to continue the path that we have undertaken by keeping expenses low, constantly promoting and engaging potential new members, improving our processes and workflow with our online race management system and helping my fellow board members with being successful in their roles.

2003 was my first year with the MRA and I am very proud of our club. Having the opportunity to race motorcycles has been the biggest thrill of my life. My fellow racers have become my greatest friends and the MRA has always felt like a big family. I believe the MRA has made great strides in recent years due to the unrelenting commitment from your board of directors. It is my goal to continue our mission of making the MRA a great club for racers and fans alike. It will be my honor to be your President again for the 2016-17 seasons.

Thank you,
    Jim Wilson

Jeremy Alexander
    Presidential Candidate

I have been riding motorcycles for over 35 years. Grew up racing MX/SX in the SRAC. After high school I attended Arizona State University on a football scholarship and actually got to play in the Rose Bowl for the national championship. Following college, I played in both professional and semi-professional football leagues in Arizona from 1997-2004.
    Two years after returning to Colorado in 2004, I bought a new motorcycle. That bike would eventually turn into my lone race bike – a 2006 GSX-R 1000. The first time I took it to get the oil changed, was at Twin Peaks Suzuki in Longmont. It was there that I met my friend and mentor in road racing – Aaron “Clarkie” Clark. That year, I also met my friend Jeff Winter through street riding in northern Colorado. I used to travel to MRA events to watch my friends race. Jeff had told me that the MRA was considering a new race class called “Superstreet” and explained what it involved. My curiosity was piqued, but I didn’t decide to participate until I felt confident enough on the track.
    2012 was my introduction to the thing that would become my passion. That year I entered my first superstreet race at HPR round 1. I was hooked, as most of you were the first time you turned your first race lap. I ran the Superstreet class rounds 1-6 in 2012, deciding to license up round 7 at PPIR.
    2013 was my novice season. I was very satisfied with the progress I was making on the track in a short period of time, but even more happy with the new family I had become a part of how I was able to share this with my wife and son. The friendships I have gain as a result of racing in the MRA are lifetime bonds. Each one of us shares the same emotions experienced by risking our lives for our passion, these emotions at this level are only experienced by a handful of people in the world, which is what makes us a tight knit group of human beings.
    After my first novice season, I earned my expert license in 2014. I enjoyed the new level of competition and made even more friends. Then this past season, I had a bad crash in round 3 at Pueblo. I had sustained serious injuries including 7 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, inter-cranial hemorrhaging, internal bleeding and a massive concussion. After the crash and seeing the concern I had put my family through, I decided that it would be in my best interest to retire from competitive racing. I was able to return to the track for round 7 at PPIR to do the Friday track day, help instruct the Superstreet class, and hang out with my MRA family.
    I still very much would like to be involved with the MRA and I feel like running for President is a great opportunity to do so.
    I feel like I would be a good choice to be your president. I currently run a multi-million dollar salon and spa in the Loveland area with over 70 employees. I have no issues in multi-tasking and time management, and I can promise you one thing. EVERY decision made by me would be with only the best interest of the club in mind. I have a strong leadership quality that helps me achieve my goals, whatever they may be. I am strong-willed and refuse to give up, I believe this type of persistence is an important quality needed for this type of leadership role.
    Another trait I can bring to the position of president in the MRA is a warm, friendly personality. As a racer, I think it’s important that the board members, especially the President, spend time talking to the racers we govern. By being a President who can dedicate the entire race weekend to being a President and not a racer, I would be able to spend my time getting to know each of you on a personal level. I would be accessible at all times throughout the weekend.
    If elected, I promise to do the best of my ability for you the racers, and make the best possible decisions regarding club issues, represent you well, and continue to grow the success of the MRA. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to hopefully serving you all during the next 2 MRA seasons.

Jennifer Grosse
    Secretary Candidate

Hey Everyone,
    Thank you for nominating me again. Most of you know me already but for those of you that don’t here’s about me. Back in 2007 my husband (Rick) got me involved in the MRA. I personally am not a racer but from the 1st time Rick took me to an MRA event I was hooked. I haven’t missed a race weekend since. In 2008 I got involved with the Board of Director’s I had never been involved with something like this I was eager & scared all at the same time. I have learned so much being on the Board, Everyone wants the best for the MRA we don’t always agree but we all want what’s best for the longevity of the MRA. . Each of us has a job to do but knowing that if you need help, anyone on the Board would help in any way they can. I can honestly say they are great to work with and I’m proud to be a part of it. We all want this club to be around for our children to race in or be a part of. I personally have 3 kids all boys, Georgio 22, Camron 19, Curtis 12 & of course Rick. I hope that someday one or all of my kids will be involved with the MRA.
    The MRA is my family! The MRA has stood by my families’ side through a lot of hard times over the last several years helping in any way possible, everyone cares about each other & when bad things happen they stand by your side. I don’t know where else you would find that except here in this club. Knowing that I have a family like that makes me a very lucky person, I couldn’t ask for anything more. I enjoy getting to know you all & your loved ones, from watching your kiddos grow up & leave for college to meeting the new little future racers being born.
    Going into the next 2 years I will continue to work with and support my fellow Board members to ensure the longevity & future goals we have for the MRA. Even though I have been around for a while I continue to learn new things & come up with new ideas. Racewurx is still growing & evolving. I’m still learning so much about it & the things it can do. Before Racewurx it could take a week or more to get results processed; now I can have it done with a day or two. I’m always looking for new ways to improve the efficacy of registration, gridding & results.

Thank you again for nominating me. I look forward to working with you all over the next 2 seasons.

Sincerely,
    JenJen

Brett Leveque
    Vice President of Rules and Tech Candidate

I have had an interest in racing and in motorcycles for as long as I can remember. It started out with cars as friendly competition between buddies and has progressed to be a lifelong passion. I started working on race teams in 2005 as a mechanic for a vintage racing shop in California. In 2007 I joined a pro team with the CHAMP Car series where I worked on a pit crew servicing our two entries. I continued part time with the same team to compete in the Grand-Am Rolex series where we fielded a car for several years in the 24 Hours of Daytona. We went on to also compete with ALMS and the IMSA TUDOR Championships.
    Growing up, I was always drawn to bikes and was able to purchase my first street going machine in 2006. I moved to Colorado in 2010 and was finally able to get out onto the track for the first time in 2012 when I learned of the MRA’s SuperStreet program. From there I was hooked and competed in two full seasons as a novice in 2013 and 2014. 2015 offered some challenges that would not allow me to race but would not deter me from still being at every round, helping out where I can. I have made some amazing friends within the MRA and I look forward to being able to give back to this great community of people.
    I’ve had the opportunity to see many different aspects of this club from volunteering to corner work, helping at local events with booths, and helping our racers with pit crew duties outside of MRA events. I have always enjoyed getting new racers to attend our events and have helped prep several bikes for new riders and find them the gear they need to get started. I would be proud to serve as the VP of Rules and Tech and I feel that I am a great fit with my background. We all know this is a dangerous and competitive sport. It is my goal to help ensure that we can keep this sport as safe and as fair as possible. Thank you,
    Brett

Nyles Gourlie
    Vice President of Rules and Tech Candidate

I am Nyles Gourlie, and I am running for the VP of Rules and Tech position. I am fully committed to taking on the responsibilities of this trusted position. My multiple experiences in life and career make me a strong candidate. I am a Master ASE tech at Factory Trained Auto Repair and has many more certificates in various automotive fields. This position often includes handling protests during the race weekend, of which I have experience on both sides; so I know how to carry out the proceedings with fairness with his strong command of the rule book. I started my race career in 2010 with Superstreet before getting my race license for the final round. I have attended every MRA event to this day. Upon moving to Denver 3 years ago, l regularly attends general meetings. In 2012 I was first asked to instruct for the superstreet program. I enjoyed helping new riders and the club so much that I became a full time instructor. I feel the MRA is like a family and will go above and beyond to help with any problems, because I want to help everyone to have a fun and safe weekend. It will be a challenge to build on perfection, but I will continue Friday night tech and come up with new ideas to try and make everyone's weekend easy and enjoyable. Thank you all for your consideration and may everyone have a great 2016 MRA season.
    Nyles

Rick Grosse
    Track Marshal Candidate

Hi all! My name is Rick Grosse aka “Razr Rick” MRA #20 for those that don’t know me. I have been riding for over 20yrs and racing since 2006. My fantastic wife JenJen has been the MRA secretary since 2008. 1 of my first dates with her was an awesome race weekend in Hastings Nebraska. Ever since then the MRA has been a normal part of our lives. I had procrastinated racing for many years but came to the realization while doing a lot of canyon riding that the danger was only a matter of time before something bad happened. After losing a few friends I decided to try track days around 2000 and did that for 6yrs. Of all my riding buddies back in the day, the consistency of our current MRA president kept me looking into the MRA as outlet to be a part of because I didn’t want to stop riding, I just didn’t want to ride the street anymore, especially in the manner in which I was. Being fast and dangerous on the street was only going to lead to one thing. I made my first appearance to the club in April 2006 winning the mock race at the MRA race school. I only made 3 races that year but had many finishes in the top 5 and a best finish of 3rd. I realized then that street riding was a thing of the past.
    Since I have been racing with the MRA, I have made many friends and helped out many more. I have won a few championships and been runner up in many other classes. I have been a rider coach since the beginning of our superstreet class and happy to say, I haven’t missed a single event. Helping out of Superstreet riders is something I have taken very seriously, almost as though it’s something I have to do anymore because of my dedication to our riders. I truly enjoy helping out those that have wanted to improve themselves. I look for those that want to improve but are always looking for those that I can see a mental change as well. I am proud of many riders I have helped while watching them grow into better riders and improve their own maturity to become better people as well.
    This year was a different stepping stone for me. I enjoy racing very much but decided to take a year off as I saw a bigger need for me to look at bigger priorities. 1 of which was the Equipment Manager and Crash cart operator. Biggest reason I chose to do the job was because the club really needed someone to count on. Someone that REALLY understands what our riders need. Some that wants to be sure our race day runs just that much better. I stepped up and made a difference. I’m proud to have done that for our club.
    I know the Track Marshall position carries a larger demand but rest assured, I feel that the affect I had on those at the track this past 2015 season, I couldn’t imagine anyone else filling that position any better. Besides, I’m in good hands with the current board members we all have. I can’t fail because I care about our club and the board won’t let me fail. The support system we all have with each other is important and I know I can be a large part of it.
    Thank you for the consideration
    Razr Rick #20

Shannon Moham
    Rider Rep – Rulebook Candidate

Thank you for the support over the 2015 MRA season! I hope you will give me the opportunity to once again be your MRA rider representative for the 2016 season. My very first motorcycle was obtained at the ripe age of eight, and I successfully managed to crash into my neighbor's garage on Christmas morning. Let’s just say I've come a long way! I have been racing motorcycles for more than a decade and have climbed my way through the ranks to become, what I feel, is a very accomplished expert racer. Without question, I thoroughly love and enjoy racing motorcycles. My competitiveness and passion are two characteristics that help me bring new and exciting insight into the MRA. It is my belief that I offer a unique perspective to the board because I have raced with the majority of major road racing organizations in North America; excelled at racing our lightweight classes to Race of the Rockies; and provided instruction and guidance to almost every superstreet class since its inception. This exposure enables me to bring a lot to the table in terms of what I have seen work and not work throughout these organizations. The MRA is not just an organization that I belong to--not just an organization that I race for. It's a family. A family of people that I choose to spend my weekends with, laughing, sharing, and yes, even hurting with at times. It is this very family that I will continue to represent. I will speak up for those who don't know how to voice their thoughts and/or opinions, and will help express any and all ideas of every racer that wants to put them out there. During my tenure as a MRA rider representative, there was great satisfaction in being part of a board that continually endeavored to improve. I also take pride that as your rider representative for the rulebook, I created an entire set of rules and class structure for the annual four-hour endurance race; I championed Friday night tech; and I created a spirit of the rulebook ethos. I also shared the responsibilities of running tech the later part of the year and am willing and capable to help the new VP of Rules and Tech in the future.
    From graduating from the United States Air Force Academy, to leading troops in combat, I have always been very professional in every aspect of my life, and I want only the best for the future of the MRA. I promise to continue to work with the board members, the racers, and their families to fight for what they want for the future of their club. The MRA has been an amazing experience in my life and I'm extremely grateful to have been a part of such a wonderful group of people. Thank you, again, for allowing me to represent you for the new 2016 season. See you on the track!

Joe Logalbo
    Rider Rep – Trophies Candidate

I would like to thank the MRA Board of Directors and the MRA Members for the opportunity to serve the previous two seasons as the Rider Rep – Trophies and class sponsorship. It has been a privilege that is greatly appreciated. I hope to continue in this role for the 2016 season.

The past two seasons have really been an eye opening experience. I began racing with the MRA in late 2003 and knew there was a lot of effort put into pulling off a successful race season, but I was never aware of how much work actually went in. Of course this changes when you have the chance to serve on the Board. It can add a whole new dynamic to the hobby that we all enjoy. Yes it can sometimes be frustrating but when it is all said and done, I can honestly say everyone’s actions are for the betterment of the club and that’s what counts!

In addition to our specific roles within the Board, I feel there are a number of topics and issues that the entire board shares in the responsibility. One of those topics is the financial health of the club. It is amazing how much money is actually spent to put on a race weekend. As such I have been looking for ways to lessen the financial cost of the trophies and awards for the club. I believe I have found a way to provide a newer look to the trophies and awards while at the same time, providing a financial benefit to the club.

I not only hope to receive your vote for Rider Rep Trophies and Class Sponsorship, but I also hope to continue my path and doing my part in guiding our great club!

Thank you,

Joe LoGalbo
    MRA 55

Scott Morrison
    Rider Rep – Trophies Candidate

I've been racing with the MRA since 2012 where I started in Superstreet. Became an expert in 2014. I would love your vote for the position of Rider Rep for Trophies and Class Sponsorship! Thank you!
    Scott Morrison #127

Jim Brewer
    Rider Rep – Press & Communications Candidate

It's a privilege to be nominated for the position of Rider Rep for Press & Communications. I have been involved with the MRA since 1991 as a racer, rider rep, announcer, and race instructor. I started road racing with the AFM in 1989 and have raced continuously since. Over my racing career, I've held race licenses with 9 different racing organizations and have competed at 19 different racetracks across the nation. This exposure has enabled me to make numerous personal contacts that I think will help me promote the MRA into new racing networks. I've also recently retired from my day job, so I will definitely have more time to devote to MRA business and club activities. I'd appreciate your vote.
    Thank you,
    Jim Brewer

Jason Madama
    Rider Rep – Public Relations & Events Candidate

My name is Jason Madama ..or as most of you guys know me "Hammer "
    Thank you for the consideration for the rider rep position.. I have been racing with the MRA since 2003 and have finished over a dozen full seasons .I am interested in running for the Rider Rep – Public Relations position as I have been working with the current rep on most of the projects that this position requires (setup of printed material and design of said material), and feel like I could take over without a hitch. I am familiar with most of the ins and outs of the club and I would love to be a bit more involved in other parts of the club as well, As a Rider Representative I would have the opportunity to help new and older riders with any questions about racing or basic track procedure. I'm always interested in bringing new riders into our sport /club and being on the board of the Rocky Mountain Minimoto club, travelling to race with other clubs along with the media rep position, I would be able to talk with alot of people and push to get more riders to join the MRA.
    Again..Thank you for the nomination and I hope to help the club grow and thrive.
    Jason "Hammer” Madama #213
    Last edited by JimWilson29; November 13th, 2015 at 10:00 AM.