Thanks Matt and Andrew!

I'll give Jeff a call. I currently have a '07 Ducati 1098s that I'd prefer to keep on the street. I wouldn't mind doing a track day with it, but it's probably not the best platform to learn on and expensive for replacement parts. Through some family friends I might be able to get a hold of a '93 Ducati 900 SS for cheap that I could use for track days and racing, but is that a good way to go?

I agree a 250 would likely be the least expensive route. Are the older 600s worth considering? I'm thinking around 2000-2003 Yamaha / Suzuki / Honda / Kawasaki? Or am I better off getting one that's a few years newer? I've never considered the SV650, but that could be a good option too.

If I decide to buy a bike, am I better off finding a good used bike that hasn't been raced yet or a race bike with race components? The reason I ask is I was talking to Marv at Kawasaki Longmont and he suggested a good used bike might be better since you at least are more certain that the frame is straight (and possibly the engine too).

Thanks!