Thread: Looking for Beginner Advice...

Junior Member Novice

Looking for Beginner Advice...

Hey Guys,

First off, thanks for any and all help you're able to provide me. I'll do my best to return the favor in beers.

I've been a motorcycle street rider for many years and have done a few track days in New Mexico several years back. This year, I'm finally hoping to take things up a notch and start doing several track days and join the superstreet program as well. Unfortunately, the street bike I have now isn't well suited for a beginner at the track, so I'm looking at buying a good 600cc bike within an initial lower budget. By lower, I mean entry level budget. I figure, most bikes will meet my needs for the first year or two until I decide I want to step it up a notch. But, I'd love to talk to some of you guys about what I should be looking for in a bike and what steps I should take to succeed. Anyone willing to show me the ropes?

Cheers!

Rob

Member Amateur
    Hi Rob,

Our new rider director Jeff Brown will likely be a good resource for you. For budget racing a 250 might be of interest to you. Easy on tires and budget with lots of close racing. From there you can likely find any combination of year and CC to fit your budget.

Matt
    MRA #168

Member Amateur
    Rob,

What is your current bike? I did superstreet races 2 years ago as well as my 1st novice season last year on my 2012 KTM RC8. Not the best bike for a beginner, but i got out there and go the experience. This year I will be racing an sv650, as i feel it is a way better platform to learn on. The other great things about an SV650 is spare parts are everywhere, tires are cheaper and last longer, i can race double the classes as i could on the ktm, etc. So I will get a lot more seat time this season which equates to more learning/experience. The 250 isnt a bad platform to start on either but I think the sv650 is a solid bet as well. Hope this helps a little bit.
    Andrew "Streebles" Streby
    MRA #248
    RC8R
    ------------------------------
    Syndicate - Spears Racing - Bell Helmets - Sol Performance-Pirelli - AXO - Motorex - Braking - Smith Optics -GoPro- Engine Ice - Matrix Concepts - Shorai
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life."- Marco Simoncelli

Junior Member Novice
    Thanks Matt and Andrew!

I'll give Jeff a call. I currently have a '07 Ducati 1098s that I'd prefer to keep on the street. I wouldn't mind doing a track day with it, but it's probably not the best platform to learn on and expensive for replacement parts. Through some family friends I might be able to get a hold of a '93 Ducati 900 SS for cheap that I could use for track days and racing, but is that a good way to go?

I agree a 250 would likely be the least expensive route. Are the older 600s worth considering? I'm thinking around 2000-2003 Yamaha / Suzuki / Honda / Kawasaki? Or am I better off getting one that's a few years newer? I've never considered the SV650, but that could be a good option too.

If I decide to buy a bike, am I better off finding a good used bike that hasn't been raced yet or a race bike with race components? The reason I ask is I was talking to Marv at Kawasaki Longmont and he suggested a good used bike might be better since you at least are more certain that the frame is straight (and possibly the engine too).

Thanks!

Senior Member Amateur
    I had an 03 R6 dude and what a great bike plus it's legal for tons of classes too. I'd start there IMO.
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Expert
    Feel free to give me a call this week, and we can chat.
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Junior Member Novice
    Thanks guys! I'll take a look at the R6 as well. Jeff, I'll call you.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheez View Post
    Hey Guys,

First off, thanks for any and all help you're able to provide me. I'll do my best to return the favor in beers.

I've been a motorcycle street rider for many years and have done a few track days in New Mexico several years back. This year, I'm finally hoping to take things up a notch and start doing several track days and join the superstreet program as well. Unfortunately, the street bike I have now isn't well suited for a beginner at the track, so I'm looking at buying a good 600cc bike within an initial lower budget. By lower, I mean entry level budget. I figure, most bikes will meet my needs for the first year or two until I decide I want to step it up a notch. But, I'd love to talk to some of you guys about what I should be looking for in a bike and what steps I should take to succeed. Anyone willing to show me the ropes?

Cheers!

Rob
    I have a 2012 kawi zx6 that has little use 2k miles, 500 where on street. the bike has won formula open and gtu am classes when my a bike was blown or busted . it is my b bike. it has everything you need to learn to race and ride hard with. I have extra wheels ,extra body work w brand new freshly painted body wk on the bike, gearing and spares . pm me if interested.