Thread: Rule Change Discussion: Production Cup Classes 2015

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Amateur
    Hi Tony,
    At the risk of letting facts into this discussion....."a good 250 rider is still within a second a lap of the top 500 guys"; Not true. Going by the last round at PPIR, Hammer had times in the 1:03-1:04 range (a top 500 rider) and you were in the 1:05-106 range (another top rider). What would you consider a "good" 250 rider? Rachelle is one of the better ones we have these days (thanks to the fact that we had the 250 class I would argue) and she was in the 1:08-1:09 range.....she is hardly what I would consider a "good" rider, but rather one of the "best" riders. Maybe you think I would qualify as "good" having won a 250 race or two? I was in the 1:10+ range (as were a large group of us including Tim, Jose, Kionka, etc). Point being they are hardly the same times and shouldn't be compared/raced against.
    Actually, Hammer and you have times around a "good" 600 rider and there are only a few 500's....maybe we should have you guys just race in the 600 class?
    I really don't know where this sudden need comes from. While I do agree with your point about having people sign up for the wrong class to get trophies, I don't know why that is really an issue unless it is a economical strain on the MRA. I am sure that you still have more plastic trophies than any of these riders, so you should still feel good about yourself either way!
    What Scott said about alienating people I agree with. There were as many as 15 - 250 riders at PPIR...on actual Ninja 250's (and a CBR I believe). Do you really not think that constitutes its own class? Not to mention it is run with 2 other classes at the same time? I understand that the 250 isn't made any more but who cares? We have two entire classes dedicated to bikes not made any more (Mondern vintage I believe it is called). The production class was developed to help attract new riders at a reduced cost. When first introduced, other than the bikes that you went and picked up in CA (thanks again by the way), the rest of us had to buy a street bike and build it. This averaged around $5,000 when all said and done. Now that there are as many bikes on the grid as there are, someone new can pick up one of these well sorted bikes for $3,000 +/-. Your idea would lead people to need to purchase new bikes and convert to be competitive (and get those trophies we all want) since there aren't that many used 300's for sale period and certainly not that many race bike versions for sale. Defeats the purpose I think.
    I really wasn't planning on attending the rules meeting this year as my racing schedule for next year involves pedals more than throttles, but I will go if this continues to gain momentum.....to argue against it further for the better of others like me that used 250s as a learning/less expensive avenue.

I would support the rule that limits you to race in the correct class if that is the compromise needed.

....in case anyone wanted my opinion....

Matt
    Last edited by mkdiehl; October 17th, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
    Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, Silkolene, Pit Bull, Pilot