Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Rulebook Suggestions

Mohammer Time! Expert

2015 Rulebook Suggestions

Suggestions for the 2015 Rulebook are CLOSED

Suggestions for the 2015 rulebook are now open and will be accepted until Friday October 3rd, 2014 (rules suggestions will not be accepted after 2400hrs on October 3 2014). Once the list is compiled, the proposed rule changes will be sent out to all members. Rule changes can be submitted to Shannon, the VP of Rules and Tech Carl, or to any rider representative. The preferred method would be for racers to submit rule changes via the rule change thread on the MRA forums.

We've changed the venue and scenery for the rule change meeting over the last few years, so Shannon is up for suggestions on where to have it. The rule change meeting will take place in November.

The rule change meeting is open to all members and will be held to discuss the proposed 2015 rule changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on the changes that will be presented to the MRA board for approval. Finalized rule changes for the 2015 season should firmed up before the end of the year.

When making your suggestion, be sure to cite the existing rule and what changes you are suggesting. If it is a new rule, please use the exact wording as you would like it to appear at the rule change meeting and possibly the rulebook.

If you want to discuss your rule change proposal, please start a separate thread.

If you have any questions please contact Shannon via the forum.
    Last edited by TRK; February 2nd, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Senior Member Expert
    Allow slicks in Open SS:

• Change section 2.2.2.G
      • from: Only DOT approved tires or non-DOT full rain tires may be used. The original molded tread pattern cannot be modified. Non-DOT slicks and non-DOT intermediate tires are not allowed.
      • to: For MWSS and HWSS only DOT approved tires or non-DOT full rain tires may be used. The original molded tread pattern cannot be modified. Non-DOT slicks and non-DOT intermediate tires are not allowed. For OSS only DOT approved tires, non-DOT slicks or non-DOT full rain tires may be used. The original molded tread pattern cannot be modified. Non-DOT intermediate tires are not allowed

• Rationale: Boost grid size. OSS has some of the smallest grids of the weekend - typically 1/2 that of MWSS & HWSS. It's the only class for the weekend on a 1000cc bike that requires DOTs, adding cost to the weekend to run it - so some otherwise eligible riders just skip it.

Consolidate ROR Classes

• Kill RORO and RORU. Run one ROR class, without 2 sub classes. Provide recognition on the podium to the top MW bike in ROR each race (like MotoGP does for top Open Class rider and WSBK does for top EVO rider) and potentially something end of year in addition to/in lieu of a top 10 plate - i.e. different color numbers/plate or such.

• Rationale:
      • Current setup is contrived. Is it one race, 2 races or 3? We say it's 3, but let's be honest, it's really 1 or maybe 2. There's ROR overall and maybe there's RORU. RORO is a joke. If *ahem* someone starts from pit lane/dead last on a 1000 and finishes 11th b/c 3 guys on 600s are either faster than me - I mean them - or close enough to prevent me/them from catching, then I got 11th. Not 8th in RORO - I got beat fair and square by 3 riders on lesser bikes - saying I got 8th is ridiculous. RORO makes no sense. The setup in general is confusing for spectators too.
      • Grid Sizes - we hardly manage to pull more riders than the payout level in ROR. Breaking it into 2 classes, within a 3rd overall class doesn't make sense.
      • Grid Sizes - All it takes to get in the top 10 in RORU this year is to show up and finish 2 races... enough said. It has lower participation than OSS.

• Actual Section Changes (I may miss a few - but this should be most):
      • Section 1: Kill the "(GTO/GTU)" after ROR
      • Delete Section: 2.4.1.5
      • Change 2.4.1.6 to delete references to "GTO"
      • Change 4.3.D to remove references to "GTO" and "GTU"
      • Change 7.2.1.C to remove references to "GTO" and "GTU"
      • I think the rest of my suggestion (recognizing to MW bike, etc.) is procedural - don't see anything in the rulebook that covers it.

Senior Member Amateur
    Novice classes are only allowed one red flag/restart. If NOVO or NOVU red flags a second time, race is over and scored according to position when race ended.

Rational: A perfect example is round 5 where for the first time all year practice and races started ONTIME until multiple red flags in NOVU put everything back over an hour with the restarts. So the corner workers have to stay a extra hour and not get paid anymore, or those of us who race endurance (some of us race both back to back) get our races reduced to 20 minutes which sort of defeats the purpose of an 'endurance' race, even it if is only 30 minutes. Endurance basically becomes a sprint race then.

I'd rather NOT penalize the novices OR the corner workers by moving the race to the end of the day if multiple red flags get thrown, nor am i suggesting changing the schedule and putting NOVO at the end of the day, but rather simply score the race where it ended with the second red flag. I also think this will incentivize novices to ride a bit more carefully and thoughtfully if they know that their race will end and not run if there are multiple red flags. This year seemed to actually be pretty clean with the nov classes up until round 5, so it hasn't been an issue as much this year, but it seemed like last year, every freakin' NOVO race had multiple red flags and I think that gets frustrating to everybody...the novice racers, corner workers, endurance racers, track marshall, brownie etc. It also pushes all the afternoon races so much later in the day that it almost always becomes a race against the rain and for the most part, most racers would rather race in dry conditions than wet I'm guessing.

Mike-

Senior Member Amateur
    For venue, I suggest something less controversial, that way maybe not as many people will show up.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Shotguns sounds good. quite place, nice drinks and plenty of bars to discuss rules.
    or so I heard....
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin View Post
    Novice classes are only allowed one red flag/restart. If NOVO or NOVU red flags a second time, race is over and scored according to position when race ended.

Rational: A perfect example is round 5 where for the first time all year practice and races started ONTIME until multiple red flags in NOVU put everything back over an hour with the restarts. So the corner workers have to stay a extra hour and not get paid anymore, or those of us who race endurance (some of us race both back to back) get our races reduced to 20 minutes which sort of defeats the purpose of an 'endurance' race, even it if is only 30 minutes. Endurance basically becomes a sprint race then.

I'd rather NOT penalize the novices OR the corner workers by moving the race to the end of the day if multiple red flags get thrown, nor am i suggesting changing the schedule and putting NOVO at the end of the day, but rather simply score the race where it ended with the second red flag. I also think this will incentivize novices to ride a bit more carefully and thoughtfully if they know that their race will end and not run if there are multiple red flags. This year seemed to actually be pretty clean with the nov classes up until round 5, so it hasn't been an issue as much this year, but it seemed like last year, every freakin' NOVO race had multiple red flags and I think that gets frustrating to everybody...the novice racers, corner workers, endurance racers, track marshall, brownie etc. It also pushes all the afternoon races so much later in the day that it almost always becomes a race against the rain and for the most part, most racers would rather race in dry conditions than wet I'm guessing.

Mike-

I don't agree with this. I am a longtime novice and have 1 crash in 5 years of racing. To penalize me or anyone that does not cause the red flag does not seem fair. Maybe we can keep track of who causes the red flags and discipline them.
    I would not be happy to pay all this money and if I am in the 2nd wave and the 1st wave causes a red flag in the 1st turn and I haven't even started then another red flag on restart in the 1st lap ends the race. I wouldn't be back anytime soon if that happens.
    If this rule passes, it should be for any class, not just novices.

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    I propose a new rule that requires a lower chain guard on all motorcycles.

Create Section 5.2.1-S and 5.2.2-U as follows:
    A shark fin lower chain guard is required on all motorcycles. It must be fixed to the swingarm in front of the rear sprocket with either bolts or welds.

I would also like to allow protests of lap additions for failure to comply with meatball flags. I propose a rule 12.3-AE that states: "Any rider in violatlation of a meatball flag stop and go penalty may protest the additional lap penalty if the rider has video proof beyond a reasonable doubt that they were not in violation of race procedures."

Reasoning: I was meatballed for a "jumped start" when my launch was damn near perfect. My forward facing GoPro shows the light and when my bike started accelerating which was absolutely not before the light went out. I was in the lead until my stop and go penalty forced me in to 15th place. I finished the race in 10th when I had a very good fighting chance to win it. I knew that during the penalty I hadn't jumped the start and was unable to do anything about it. I think that IF a rider KNOWS that they didn't jump the start and has video evidence of it that they can skip the stop and go penalty and protest the one lap penalty and score the race where they finished without the penalty. If the video evidence doesn't clearly prove the rider was compliant then the rider gets penalized with the one lap penalty.
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Aspen,
    this is already the case bro. I will look and see what the rule book says, and if it is unclear, I will clear it up for next year. Big gamble, but if there is irrefutable proof then it will work itself out.

Senior Member Expert

Institute a hot pit lane speed limit of 35 mph and change the meatball penalty from stop and go to ride through.

Justification: Increase safety for the rider, spectators and officials during the service of penalties. The pit lane official could remain behind a barrier with a radar gun, if necessary, to enforce the pit lane speed putting them at less risk. The rider would have additional time (less speed) to deal with a person attempting to cross the pit lane during the service of a penalty. Safety would also be increased at the end of the race when there is considerable rider and pedestrian traffic on the hot pit lane.

Reduce ambiguity in the rules: Under the current rules the rider must proceed "at safe speed". This is completely subjective.

Section 8.1D

Current Wording:

Black flag with 12" Orange Center (meatball flag): Indicates a "stop and go" penalty or other penalty. Racers need to report to the pre-grid marshal within three laps. A number board will be displayed with the flag indicating the rider being signaled. Failure to report to the pre-grid marshal within 3 laps will result in a one lap penalty in the final results.

Proposed Change:

Black flag with 12" Orange Center (meatball flag): Indicates a "ride through" penalty or other penalty. Racers need to ride through the hot pit lane within three laps. A pit lane speed limit of 35 mph will be enforced. A number board will be displayed with the flag indicating the rider being signaled. Failure to report to the pre-grid marshal within 3 laps will result in a one lap penalty in the final results.

Section 10J

Current Wording:
    A racer serving a "stop and go" penalty must exit the race track and proceed at a safe speed to the pre-grid marshal at the front of the pre-grid and wait until waved back onto the track. Excessive speed through the pre-grid area will result in a longer penalty and/or fines and /or disqualification.

Proposed wording:
    A racer serving a "ride through" penalty must exit the track and proceed at no more than the pit lane speed limit through the hot pit. Excessive speed through the hot pit may result in additional penalties, fines or disqualification.

Section 7.1E

Current wording:
    The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at thegreen flag/light will be assessed a stop and go penalty on pit road. A rider isconsidered staged if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind thedesignated row line and the front wheel is at a complete stop.

Proposed wording:

The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at thegreen flag/light will be assessed a ride through penalty on pit road. A rider isconsidered staged if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind thedesignated row line and the front wheel is at a complete stop.

ADD

Section 10L

Hot pit speed limit: A hot pit speed limit of 35 MPH will be enforced at all venues. Officials will clearly mark with cones, or other means, the speed limit zone at the beginning and the end of the hot pit lane. Failure to comply with the hot pit speed limit may result in penalties, fines or disqualification.

MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post

Institute a hot pit lane speed limit of 35 mph and change the meatball penalty from stop and go to ride through.

Justification: Increase safety for the rider, spectators and officials during the service of penalties. The pit lane official could remain behind a barrier with a radar gun, if necessary, to enforce the pit lane speed putting them at less risk. The rider would have additional time (less speed) to deal with a person attempting to cross the pit lane during the service of a penalty. Safety would also be increased at the end of the race when there is considerable rider and pedestrian traffic on the hot pit lane.

Reduce ambiguity in the rules: Under the current rules the rider must proceed "at safe speed". This is completely subjective.

Section 8.1D

Current Wording:

Black flag with 12" Orange Center (meatball flag): Indicates a "stop and go" penalty or other penalty. Racers need to report to the pre-grid marshal within three laps. A number board will be displayed with the flag indicating the rider being signaled. Failure to report to the pre-grid marshal within 3 laps will result in a one lap penalty in the final results.

Proposed Change:

Black flag with 12" Orange Center (meatball flag): Indicates a "ride through" penalty or other penalty. Racers need to ride through the hot pit lane within three laps. A pit lane speed limit of 35 mph will be enforced. A number board will be displayed with the flag indicating the rider being signaled. Failure to report to the pre-grid marshal within 3 laps will result in a one lap penalty in the final results.

Section 10J

Current Wording:
    A racer serving a "stop and go" penalty must exit the race track and proceed at a safe speed to the pre-grid marshal at the front of the pre-grid and wait until waved back onto the track. Excessive speed through the pre-grid area will result in a longer penalty and/or fines and /or disqualification.

Proposed wording:
    A racer serving a "ride through" penalty must exit the track and proceed at no more than the pit lane speed limit through the hot pit. Excessive speed through the hot pit may result in additional penalties, fines or disqualification.

Section 7.1E

Current wording:
    The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at thegreen flag/light will be assessed a stop and go penalty on pit road. A rider isconsidered staged if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind thedesignated row line and the front wheel is at a complete stop.

Proposed wording:

The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at thegreen flag/light will be assessed a ride through penalty on pit road. A rider isconsidered staged if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind thedesignated row line and the front wheel is at a complete stop.

ADD

Section 10L

Hot pit speed limit: A hot pit speed limit of 35 MPH will be enforced at all venues. Officials will clearly mark with cones, or other means, the speed limit zone at the beginning and the end of the hot pit lane. Failure to comply with the hot pit speed limit may result in penalties, fines or disqualification.

How would one know there speed and how much leeway would there be in said proposal?

Not sure how this would be doable on the riders part? At least with the current speed the pit lane is protected once the meatball is shown until the rider comes in.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Amateur
    Where do we propose the procedural stuff?
    Pete Tabor
    MRA #599
    --------------------------
    Fun Center Cycles
    Sol Performance
    Speedin' Motorsports

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Talk to me this weekend, or just post it up.

Senior Member Amateur
    Section 10L

I simply want to point out that this would mean no more practice starts on hot pit. I'm looking forward to the rule change meeting.
    #279 Chris Sorensen (Track Marshal)
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Sol Performance - Pirelli
    Imperial Sportbikes
    Puma - Snug Harbor Motorsports
    ScorpionExo
    Woodcraft
    STM Suspension
    Mad-Moto
    Foothills Triumph

Senior Member Expert
    Freeze Modern Vintage at the 2015 (2005) model year -

Justification - Motorcycles in the last 10 years have made only incremental improvements versus the exponential improvements made in previous generations. As an example a 2006 R6 is virtually the same as a 2014 model. Freezing the motorcycle year at 2005 for five years will mean that a significant performance difference between a MV and a current motorcycle exists.

Current Rule:

2.5 Modern Vintage classes2.5.1 Requirements
    Modern Vintage motorcycles must use a frame and engine case 10 years old or older, asdetermined by manufacturer’s model year. For 2014, the model year must be 2004 or prior.Exceptions to the year requirements are listed below. These exceptions are based on thefirst production cycle for a specific motorcycle.
    The following exempted bikes are permitted to compete in modern vintage, but must meetthe requirements listed below in 2.5.2.
    MVGTU exemptions:
    2005-2006 Ducati 749, 749S and 749R,2005- 2008 Suzuki SV650, SV650S2005 Yamaha YZF R6
    MVGTO exemptions:
    2005 Aprilia RSV Tuono
    2005-2006 Ducati 999, 999S, 999R2005-2006 Honda RC51
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000

If a competitor feels a motorcycle not listed above could be eligible for a modern vintageexception, they can present their case to the MRA Board of Directors. The MRA Boardwill make a determination of eligibility. The MRA Board’s determination will remain finalfor the remainder of the race season.
    2.5.2 Class Limits
    Class displacement limits are the same as Novice and Amateur GTO and GTU, as specifiedin 2.6.1 and 2.6.2. Ducati models eligible for MVGTU with SPS, R, and RS designations areineligible if they displace greater then 749cc. All exempted models are eligible for MVGTO.

Proposed Rule:

2.5 Modern Vintage classes2.5.1 Requirements
    Modern Vintage motorcycles must use a frame and engine case 10 years old or older, asdetermined by manufacturer’s model year. For 2015, the model year must be 2005 or prior. At the end of the 2015 season the age limit will be frozen until the current list of approved motorcycles is 15 years old or older. From that point forward Modern Vintage will be designated as a class for models that are 15 years old or older and models will be added on a year by year basis thereafter. Exceptions to the year requirements are listed below. These exceptions are based on thefirst production cycle for a specific motorcycle.
    The following exempted bikes are permitted to compete in modern vintage, but must meetthe requirements listed below in 2.5.2.
    MVGTU exemptions:
    2006 Ducati 749, 749S and 749R,
    2006- 2008 Suzuki SV650, SV650S
    MVGTO exemptions:
    2006 Ducati 999, 999S, 999R
    2006 Honda RC51
    2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000

If a competitor feels a motorcycle not listed above could be eligible for a modern vintageexception, they can present their case to the MRA Board of Directors. The MRA Boardwill make a determination of eligibility. The MRA Board’s determination will remain finalfor the remainder of the race season.
    2.5.2 Class Limits
    Class displacement limits are the same as Novice and Amateur GTO and GTU, as specifiedin 2.6.1 and 2.6.2. Ducati models eligible for MVGTU with SPS, R, and RS designations areineligible if they displace greater then 749cc. All exempted models are eligible for MVGTO.
    Last edited by rybo; September 17th, 2014 at 08:24 AM.
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    I'll again propose a remodel of our Sat/Sun morning practice groups. And if we try it and it doesn't work? We could go back to what we have now!!

Practice groups by times (approximate times), which would mean novices mixed in with experts.

A fastest
    B next fastest group
    C 3rd fastest group
    D slowest group
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I'll again propose a remodel of our Sat/Sun morning practice groups. And if we try it and it doesn't work? We could go back to what we have now!!

Practice groups by times (approximate times), which would mean novices mixed in with experts.

A fastest
    B next fastest group
    C 3rd fastest group
    D slowest group
    I like this.

How is selection done?

Previous round lap times?
    Self-Selection? (what we do now)
    Maybe only ROR riders in the fastest group?

The beauty of the current system is that there is a clear delineator for novice / expert and the riders self select inside of the categories.

just throwing out some food for thought.
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Member Amateur
    Sounds intriguing.

How do we separate the fast 250s, who make up their time in the corners, from the slow 1000s who make up their time on the straights who both might have similar lap times?

Matt
    MRA #168

Senior Member Expert
    The other clubs that I've seen use this system (AFM + CVMA) tell you what group you're practicing in based on your previous times with the club, OR a guesstimate if you don't have times. I'm open to either self selecting into your group, or being assigned based on your latest times, whatever is preferable to the majority.

Here is the "practice rules" section from the CVMA rulebook. Their track is 2.6 miles, similar to HPR, but we would pick time cutoffs as appropriate.

* I'd like to add that the proposed goal is to roughly divide the club into 4 even quarters for practice time. So that we don't have 60 bikes in one group and 20 in the next.

- Practice in four timed groups:
    - Group A: 1:57.9 and lower lap times
    - Group B: 1:58.0 – 2:01.9 lap times
    - Group C: 2:02.0 – 2:09.9 lap times
    - Group D: 2:10 and higher lap times
    - Racers will be assigned to a practice group at Registration.
    - Group assignment will be based on prior qualifying times.

- If a racer does not have a qualifying time from a previous event or a
    previous group assignment, they will be initially assigned to a practice
    group as follows: Open Machines = Group A; Middleweight Machines =
    Group B; Lightweight Machines = Group C; UltraLightweight Machines
    = Group D.

Last edited by oldtimer; September 19th, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    There is no rules about it in the book but I would like to propose we have a ROR and production class qualifying record. This record to qualify as the absolute track record.

Current rule: none

New rule: none

Rationale: Some guys post a faster time during qualifying than they do during a race. If this is the fastest time recorded that a person has made a lap around the track, it should be the absolute record as well.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I agree with the qualifying record, but the overall record needs to be during a race. You can do too many special things for a one off fast lap during qualifying, that a racer couldn't or shouldn't do during a race.

Senior Member Amateur
    I understand what you are getting at. I don't believe anyone is doing that for either class but doesn't mean they couldn't try. Regulating the parts for qualifying would be too much of a task too.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_tiller View Post
    I don't agree with this. I am a longtime novice and have 1 crash in 5 years of racing. To penalize me or anyone that does not cause the red flag does not seem fair. Maybe we can keep track of who causes the red flags and discipline them.
    I would not be happy to pay all this money and if I am in the 2nd wave and the 1st wave causes a red flag in the 1st turn and I haven't even started then another red flag on restart in the 1st lap ends the race. I wouldn't be back anytime soon if that happens.
    Scott, I agree that it's not fair to punish the other racers in the class, the ones that didn't cause the red(s). As the original poster pointed out, though, it's likewise unfair to punish the entire remainder of the program and the workers, etc, by making the program run long.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_tiller View Post
    If this rule passes, it should be for any class, not just novices.
    Absolutely.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    FYI, we already have a rule for multiple red flags.............it is in the rule book.

Senior Member Amateur
    Rule Change:

1. No fork extenders in Supersport. The rules are vague but say something to the tune of aftermarket caps are allowed strictly for the purpose of adjusting components, not for altering geometry past stock limitations. No different than the shock linkage I got shot down for last year.

2.2.2-D-b: Fork springs may be replaced with optional or after-market springs. Fork caps may be modified or replaced to allow external adjustment of fork springs only

Proposed: Fork springs may be replaced with optional or after-market springs. Fork caps
    may be modified or replaced to allow external adjustment of fork springs only, and must be of OEM height. Extended fork caps are not allowed.

Procedural Changes:

1. Practice - As Wyeth suggested, break up practice into groups based on speed. There have been multiple incidents this year due to the current practice format, plus we have enough sessions that I can take naps between each of my practices. I have raced with several other clubs that do A,B,C,D or Slow/Med/Fast based on lap times and it seems to work much better. I personally like 3 groups since it allows more track time for each group, and could potentially cut the length of our days down so we're not cutting down race length to beat the rain every weekend. however since the 250/300's are in a class of their own perhaps we break it up as follows (using HPR as an example):

Production 250, 300, 400, etc - 15 min
    middleweight and open bikes > 2:00 - 15 min
    Middleweight and Open bikes > 1:53 and < 2:00 - 15 min
    Middleweight and Open bikes < 1:53 - 15 min

2. 3rd call - our 3rd calls tend to be sporadic and leave people either sitting on the grid for 5 minutes or having to start from pre-grid because they wanted to keep some heat in their tires. Reason being the call is made at the checkered and that guy that was about to get lapped still has to make 2 more laps before exiting the track. How can we make this consistent? Make 3rd call when the last place guy (that hasn't been lapped) crosses the checkered, and enforce that the riders are released 1 minute after 3rd call (May need to add 30 sec depending on track). 1 minute is plenty of time to pull warmers and get to pre-grid, and we'll have consistency that everybody can count on.

3. Blue Flags in ROR - I've brought the blue flag up before and got some heat that this was a bad idea because many riders aren't experienced enough to safely get out of the way. Fair enough, but in ROR every rider should be experienced enough to see where the lap traffic is and try to stay out of the way. I've seen some close calls, and a couple bad accidents, due to lap traffic in a heated ROR race.

4. Double header race weekends - I know this has been discussed before. I've thought about this one a lot, and at first I didn't like the idea, but after racing with clubs like Chuckwalla I really liked this format. Essentially this turns a 7 round season into 14 rounds, making scoring a lot more reasonable and crashing out or having a mechanical isn't a season killer. It also gives the guys who race superbikes the opportunity to race Sat and Sun rather than sitting around waiting all day saturday because we've structured our schedule to be supersport dominant Saturday and Superbike dominant Sunday. Sure, we'd have to cut down on some of our classes; but let's be honest, we have more classes than CU's undergrad program. Many of which are duplicative, or don't even have enough riders to create a 3rd row (if you want suggestions just ask).

5. Red Flags - Round 7 was actually really good, but for most of the season it seemed like the red flags were revealing themselves easier than a hooker on Colfax. I realize this is going to be a sensitive subject but it's frustrating when we have to restart a race multiple times, start cutting laps off all other races, and keep the beers in the coolers until 7PM, when most of the red flags were minor accidents. I know this is a call the corner workers have to make and if somebody is seriously injured we don't want to delay sending the ambulance out. But I can think of several red flags this season that were typical low sides, off the track, and rider was up quickly and ok... Just something to consider.
    Pete Tabor
    MRA #599
    --------------------------
    Fun Center Cycles
    Sol Performance
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyt328 View Post
    2. 3rd call - our 3rd calls tend to be sporadic and leave people either sitting on the grid for 5 minutes or having to start from pre-grid because they wanted to keep some heat in their tires. Reason being the call is made at the checkered and that guy that was about to get lapped still has to make 2 more laps before exiting the track. How can we make this consistent? Make 3rd call when the last place guy (that hasn't been lapped) crosses the checkered, and enforce that the riders are released 1 minute after 3rd call (May need to add 30 sec depending on track). 1 minute is plenty of time to pull warmers and get to pre-grid, and we'll have consistency that everybody can count on.
    Since I was grid girl for a bit last season, I thought I'd throw some info about this. 3rd call is made when the checkered is thrown, then pre-grid is "supposed to" let everyone go once the last bike clears a certain turn. Like at HPR, we usually let you guys go once we clear Turn 9 or 10. If we did 3rd call when the last bike passes start finish, I think more people would be late to pre-grid and more people would be starting from pre-grid because they only have a minute or 2 to get out there. So I don't know if waiting would be the best option, but I do know that pre-grid should be more consistent in letting you guys go. AND we also need to be more consistent on announcing that the air fences are going to be blown up between a race. I think that's one of the areas where we could see the biggest improvement. I saw it a couple times at Round 7 where we knew that we were going to to the air fences, so made the call for a hold. I think that could be greatly improved if we could keep that up, instead of just deciding to do it right before a race or practice is about to start.

3. Blue Flags in ROR - I've brought the blue flag up before and got some heat that this was a bad idea because many riders aren't experienced enough to safely get out of the way. Fair enough, but in ROR every rider should be experienced enough to see where the lap traffic is and try to stay out of the way. I've seen some close calls, and a couple bad accidents, due to lap traffic in a heated ROR race.
    I think it's a good idea for ROR, BUT, the problem is getting corner workers to see who the leaders are and getting the flag up. Some of the corner workers just see bikes going by and wouldn't know which is which. So maybe that's a Chris decision on whether or not we would do that. I think it would be a cool thing and I know I'd be able to figure that out, especially for ROR, but some people couldn't and it would be inconsistent. Maybe on Sunday we have the most consistant workers in certain corners throughout the track that would be willing to throw a blue flag and announce those corners in the rider's meeting for Sunday so the ROR guys will know where to look for them if they are about to be lapped.

5. Red Flags - Round 7 was actually really good, but for most of the season it seemed like the red flags were revealing themselves easier than a hooker on Colfax. I realize this is going to be a sensitive subject but it's frustrating when we have to restart a race multiple times, start cutting laps off all other races, and keep the beers in the coolers until 7PM, when most of the red flags were minor accidents. I know this is a call the corner workers have to make and if somebody is seriously injured we don't want to delay sending the ambulance out. But I can think of several red flags this season that were typical low sides, off the track, and rider was up quickly and ok... Just something to consider.
    We throw the red for a rider down or a bike in the race line. We did throw a red for rain too. When making the call about a bike down, we call, "Bike down, Turn 4" wait for it..... "Rider is up" or.... "Rider is down". Then it's red flagged. We do wait a few seconds to see if the rider gets up first. There were a couple instances where the rider was down and then popped right up after the red flag was thrown. I know when I raced Round 4, in NovO the red flag was thrown because there was a bike on the track. It wasn't quite in the racing line, but it was close enough for me to have to check up and go around it just before the red was thrown. Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it, but we try to not call a red flag unless it's completely necessary. I remember one of the rounds at HPR it seemed like every race had a red flag! But again, if it needs to be thrown, we aren't worried about the beer in the cooler till 7pm, gotta make sure everyone is safe.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast