Thread: 08 Aug lapping day - full or north course?

Junior Member Novice

08 Aug lapping day - full or north course?

Was wondering if the 08 August lapping day was going to be full course or north course - would like to know before I sign up for that day.

Senior Member Amateur
    It'll probably be the north course, since we are racing that course that weekend. I'd call HPR to confirm though.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

President Expert
    It is not an exclusive MRA Lapping Day so it will be up to HPR. That said, Glenn and I spoke about this last night and he may do first half of the day full course and 2nd half North course, or maybe North course last couple sessions of the day. The issue is that there may, and most likely will be HPR Lapping Day riders in attendance that are not racing with the MRA that weekend that are expecting, and paying to ride the full course.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm expecting, and paying to ride the North course since this is practice for the race weekend. I'm assuming 95% of the other riders will be in that boat as well. At a minimum, the afternoon should be run in the configuration we will be racing in.
    Pete Tabor
    MRA #599
    --------------------------
    Fun Center Cycles
    Sol Performance
    Speedin' Motorsports

President Expert
    Peter, it's ultimately not my decision. Glenn is fully aware that the MRA member's expectations are to ride the configuration on Friday that we will be racing over the weekend. Since it is not an MRA exclusive lapping day, he needs to take into consideration any other riders that attend that are expecting to ride the full course, but he plans to accommodate us as much as possible.
    Last edited by JimWilson29; July 29th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyt328 View Post
    I'm expecting, and paying to ride the North course since this is practice for the race weekend. I'm assuming 95% of the other riders will be in that boat as well. At a minimum, the afternoon should be run in the configuration we will be racing in.
    While I hear what you're saying, technically, this is NOT practice for the race weekend. It's an HPR open lapping day which is open to the public and most/all of them don't care what configuration the club is racing that weekend. As Jim pointed out, the MRA has not rented the track for that day and has no financial dog in the fight. The MRA does have the option of taking financial responsibility for the day, but if they do that it may or may not cost the club (ie, you) additional money.

My first responsibility is to make sure the track makes money and stays open. The fact is that, overall, lapping day income exceeds weekend event income, and on the average lapping day (car or bike) non-racers outnumber racers. I want to keep those non-racer customers happy, and YOU should want me to keep them happy because they are subsidizing your racing by keeping the track financially viable.

Last September when I was racing in Miller, I left Ted specific instructions about how the day was to be run. The racers bullied him into running the north course and I got about a dozen emails and phone calls from angry non-racer customers.

We will run the afternoon on the north course.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks Glen, I think that's fair. From my experience (pre-race friday practice) mornings are primarily street riders, and afternoons are primarily racers. I wasn't trying to start an argument; just commenting that our (racers) wishes should be accommodated too, and it shouldn't be assumed that we'll all show up and ride just because it precedes a race weekend. Thanks for the info and see you next weekend!
    Pete Tabor
    MRA #599
    --------------------------
    Fun Center Cycles
    Sol Performance
    Speedin' Motorsports

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    We will run the afternoon on the north course.
    Excellent - and thanks for the insight.