Thread: SV650 1st gen parts

Junior Member Novice

SV650 1st gen parts

I have a fairly stock 99 SV650 that I would like to get ready for the track. If I get along with it I plan on using it on Pikes Peak in 2015 so any power parts, big bore, gears, forks, body or any thing at all that may help me get it out to the track. I have not ever been involved with the MRA and am looking forward to getting my feet wet with it.
    Thanks,
    Travis
    braap_braaap@yahoo.com

Senior Member Expert
    Just a suggestion, but leave the bike stock. Get some used race bodywork, safety wire it up properly, and go ride it. You won't get better forks on the bike without swapping the front end, though you could at least have someone like Dave @STM do some cartridges to make them a little better. There are a ton of upgrades you can do to the SV, but honestly I would just run it stock for a while and get used to riding it on a road course. If you're going to invest a bunch of money, put it into yourself - take some good classes, even seek private instruction. Some of the local fast guys do one-on-one teaching, and you can do courses like STAR or YCRS to learn from pros.

The one issue you will have with a stock SV is the 160 rear. I am not sure who's making that size these days, but your options may be limited in that aspect. Someone else here may be able to comment on which vendors still supply them (I know Michelin does not). I converted my 2001 SV to a 180 rear just FYI, there are spacer kits you can buy for the GSX-R wheel.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Pirelli makes a 160 rear in their race tire series. Call Oscar at Sol Performance.
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Member Amateur
    747, welcome

+1 to what these guys have written.

Hopefully, you are at the race school today getting instruction and your license for the season. The MRA also has the SuperStreet program, which runs on Saturdays of race weekend (excluding the endurance weekend). It provides instruction and a race. The tech requirements are more like that of a track day.

Bridgestone also makes 160's. Including a DOT track day tire. Their slicks are a 165. The local tire vendors on the forums can help you sort out your options. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, etc. Check the vendor area. They support our club and are at the race weekends with tires and advice.

Matt
    '01 SV650
    MRA #168