Thread: How much are tires running at the track? (New guy question.)

Member Novice

How much are tires running at the track? (New guy question.)

Planning on doing Superstreet this year and was wondering how much do tires cost at the track? do they charge for installing or is it included. Do they give racers a little bit of a rider discount? Or would it be cheaper to buy them online and pay for install at the track?

Senior Member Expert
    This is a tough question because "it depends".

The tires sold at the track, for the most part, are full race tires and aren't really available online. Like most highly specialized things they are more expensive than the street tires you can buy in the shops or online because they serve a singular purpose very well.

All of the vendors provide mounting and balancing as a part of the sale, but they require you to remove the wheels from the bike to get it done.

Let's ask the fundamental question: do you need ( or even want) a full race tire for super street?

My answer to this is "no" and the reason goes back to what I said above. These tires serve a single purpose. They are lousy street tires, they suck in the rain, and they don't last very long. That being said they offer tremendous grip when they are fully up to temperature.

Most of the race vendors at the track can get you high performance street tires at a competitive price, but they don't keep them in stock. I will say that the high performance street tires today are FAR better than the race tires of not too long ago.

I'm working with Oscar at Sol Performance Pirelli this year.

The other vendors are 406 racing, Jeff Healy for Michelin

Mad-Moto, Louden David for Bridgestone

And Steve Mills for Dunlop

I suggest you reach out to them and discuss your needs, see who you gel with, build a relationship. If you choose to come racing beyond super street this will be one of the most important people you talk to.

See you at the track!

Scott

Member Novice
    Thanks Scott. See you out there.

Senior Member Amateur
    As Scott said you really don't need an overly aggressive tire for superstreet, especially if you plan on riding the bike on the actual street as well. The most important thing for you to buy into is yourself. The experience and knowledge will be a lot more beneficial to you than anything else. That being said, I am a tire guy and would be willing to talk to you about tires any time that you want.
    Have fun! Oscar

Member Novice
    Thanks Oscar. My R6 is pretty much a full time track bike. I'm not looking to break the bank on tires...yet. I was just wanting to get a idea on prices so I know how much to expect just starting out. I know that I am not ready for all out race tires.

Senior Member Amateur
    I would put around 400 aside for track tires. A good set of slicks to put on and make a ton of laps on is the Pirelli Superbike PRO tires. $360 a set and they will last a long time. This will save you more cash in the long run to spend on other stuff. Racers have won races on these tires so they are capable. However, there are faster Pirellis out there to go to, when you feel comfortable.

Senior Member Amateur
    As usual I would agree with Oscar! Invest in yourself and seat time starting out and then move into stickier tires and more expensive parts! I will be out at the track for the new rider class next weekend as well if you want any info on Michelins or if you just want to bs about anything! Just look for the big black bus!

Jeff Healy
    406 Racing
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Senior Member Expert
    You have to love vendors that are completely honest, and that is why I love the MRA and all those who support it. You can't go wrong asking any tire vendor in the paddock a question, because all of them are good honest guys.

If you have questions about Bridgestone tire contact Bartman at: bartmanthewrench@gmail.com. I'm not the actual vendor, just a sponsored rider, but Bart can help you out if your trying to stick to a particular brand.

Can't wait to see everyone at the track again this year.

Jeff are you saving me a seat in the bus?

Oscar are you going to stay up late enough for me to actually see you this year?
    Colorado's Dunlop Tire Vendor
    www.throttleforyourbottle.com

Senior Member Amateur
    Haha. I don't know if I would count on it man. Getting old sucks! Going to bed at 9 and waking up at 5. You would think that I have grand children already. Haha. I will make a point to to stay awake till 930 one of these nights, just for you buddy.

Senior Member Expert
    ^ Like button!
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    there is always a seat for you Louden!! And we can just chain Scer up to the bus and make him stay awake listening to MJ across the street from me! lol
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Senior Member Amateur
    haha of course! Too me its like feeding the guys I race against cupcakes! I have to do something to be able to keep up!!
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Senior Member Expert
    Scer stood strong Saturday night! I'm proud of you party animal, lol.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    he sure did! I think I was fading before he was! have you been training in the off season!? lol
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Senior Member Amateur
    Haha! Yep! First it started with a wine cooler and staying up till 9 then built on that.