Thread: New Racer Priority List

Senior Member Amateur

New Racer Priority List

I've read, yes online, that a new racer should focus on his racing in the following order (from most important to least). Just curious what your order would be? Also thought it was odd that physical fitness was left off the list?

Racer'sOrder of Priority:

First - seattime
    Second - frontsuspension
    rearsuspension
    tires
    brakes
    weightloss
    tuning

Thanks!

J
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Senior Member Expert
    First and foremost -

Make sure that your bike and your gear are safe. None of the rest of this matters if you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk. This doesn't mean that you have to spend a lot of money, but making sure your suit is sound, that your helmet fits and that you have quality boots and gloves is really important. This goes for the bike too. You can totally do this on a budget, but making sure that your brake pads are good, that your brake fluid is fresh and clean and that your tires are in good shape is really important.

From there I think your list is about right. Early in your career just being on the track getting seat time is good. Later on you need to be going out with specific goals and objectives. Just riding around doesn't get it done.

The rest of this is connected in some way. There isn't a magic tire, or a magic suspension setting. If you change tires, you're likely going to have to change your set-up in some way. If you lose weight, the same applies.

Spend some time reading the books, there are plenty out there. I recommend "Sportbike Riding Techniques" if you haven't already read it. Also find the vendors in the club that you can work with. Again, there is no magic setting or magic tire, but there are magic relationships. Talk with all the different tire guys (or gals) and see who you gel with the best. A good relationship with this person is really important and they may be able to connect you with a good deal on take offs, or at least some good advice on how to read your tire and make it work better or last longer.

Finally, find yourself a mentor. One of the experts that's been around the club for a while. Ask them questions and say thanks when they help you out. This falls into the realm of magical relationships too, find someone you get along with that is willing to spend some time with you. Try not to hit them up a few minutes before their races or when they appear to be doing some emergency maintenance. You'll be surprised how much having this relationship will help you.

Most of all remember that this is fun! We're club racers and the vast majority of us are never going to get paid to race motorcycles. The paycheck comes in the form of a completely shagged set of tires and a gigantic smile at the end of the weekend!
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Member Amateur
    "Make sure that your bike and your gear are safe."

So, like my rear shock is actually supposed to be bolted on?

My front brakes are supposed to work????

Crazy talk Rybo. C R A Z Y......

Senior Member Expert
    Most important thing is having fun, but you need to focus on the following to do that.

1) Good Riding gear. If you get hurt your no longer having fun.

2) Safe sound reliable motorcycle. If the bike breaks you're no longer having fun.

3) Learn everything you can from a reliable source off the track. Get as much seat time and instruction on the track as well. If you don't know what your doing it becomes stressful not fun.

4) Make friends with others in the MRA who have been there and understand whats going on. Being apart of the MRA is more than just racing its a family atmosphere who you'll likely gain lifetime friendships with and without that support system I would not have made it without all of them. Not to mention not have had nearly as much fun.
    Colorado's Dunlop Tire Vendor
    www.throttleforyourbottle.com

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by fosbibr View Post
    "Make sure that your bike and your gear are safe."

So, like my rear shock is actually supposed to be bolted on?

My front brakes are supposed to work????

Crazy talk Rybo. C R A Z Y......
    I know, right?
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks for the answers….
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger