Thread: Aim solo gps lap timer

Senior Member Amateur

Aim solo gps lap timer

Anyone have one? Does it work good? Where did you get it?

Member Novice
    They work great, if you take the time to use the data functions your lap times will improve. You can buy them direct from aim-sports.com

Senior Member Amateur
    After a little research I'm looking at either the aim solo or xt gpx zed. Anyone use both and like one or the other?

Junior Member Novice
    Only a few people have the solo in the paddock. Though, fast man, Rob has one.

Rarely, but very annoying when it occurs, the gps will not pick up. This also occurs with the gpx pro, probably the zed too.

The solo data is very nice - g's and splits.
    The unit is a little large and my solo with its plastic shell were destroyed after a highside.
    What I liked least about the unit was it would not display the current lap, only projected.

The xt zed will likely have the same gps problems as the solo - rarely, but occasionally not picking-up.
    The xt data analysis tool is terrible. My qstarz data analysis is better - easier to use and understand.

the zed is probably like the pro and only reads at 5 hz.
    I can't remember what the solo's is. The qstarz is 10hz.

xt is a great company and will repair/replace your zed in a crash. My solo is in the trash.

They all have a little compromise. I wouldn't say any one is better than another.

Member Novice
    I have the solo and for a lap timer it works great. I wasn't overly impressed with the software but mostly because I didn't bother to really invest the time to learn how to use it. The lap-times are almost always within a tenth of my official times.

Senior Member Amateur
    For what it's worth:

I have used many types of lap timers and the most AWESOME-IST (not really a word) thing about the AIM Solo is the predictive lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is like watching Superpole and seeing the splits turn red and knowing you are on a fast lap......actually better than that because you can see what your lap will be anytime you can look at it. I don't have the issue with it not picking up a lap, it is very durable and has fallen off at PPIR, IMI off my Supermoto, and at Unsers on the go karts with no issues. Also i really like the feature of being able to hard wire it to the bike.....you just unscrew the plug and then can put it on something else. I don't think any other timers do the predictive lap no matter how much they cost???????

Good luck!
    Rob Christman, MRA #19
    Roadrace Factory, Danny "Ninja Tech" Anderson, STM Suspension, King GM, Pirelli, Sol Performance (Oscar), Motul, Tri City Cycle (Rex, Adam), Bell Powersports, Yoshimura

Senior Member Amateur
    I ended up buying a aim solo. We'll see how it works this season