Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRA to visit ROAD AMERICA July 4th! Join us for a hell of a trip!'

Senior Member Expert

Cool MRA to visit ROAD AMERICA July 4th! Join us for a hell of a trip!'

I WILL UPDATE THIS POST AS MORE IS ADDED!

Hey MRA Folks!

I thought I would post this up in advance to maybe to get some excitement and interest. I know our own season has not fired off quite yet, but I’d like to throw this out there well in advance. There are a few of us that are going to be heading out to Road America on July 4th to go race with CCS. Currently we have 5 of us, and 4 trailer spots confirmed and reserved(maybe 5 if I bring two bikes). We are extending the offer to invite any trustworthy MRA folks to join. We would like to see a big turnout of the MRA crew out there. I feel the MRA is a fairly fast club in general, and would like to go disrupt some point structures in other states. Fellow CCS members are well aware we are coming. We will have room for about 16 motorcycles and “gear”(not your entire enclosed trailer worth of stuff) between an enclosed trailer and toyhauler. I’m going to put it out there as an invite to other members of the MRA to join. Fuel will be split equally between all, and I’ll even post receipts after the event if anyone is concerned. If you know us, we are trustworthy people, and if you don’t I understand your concern. We are trying to make it efficient as possible! Our plan is to get bikes shipped roundtrip for a little over a 100 bucks a bike, if we can fill up completely. If you bring two bikes you pay for two spots, not one. Logistically this will be a big undertaking of planning for us so we are trying to get the ball rolling.

I’m hoping this will ignite a good time with a group of MRA folks out there. This is not only for experts or novices only trip, this is extended to everyone interested in racing out there, even if you are just wanting to do a trackday beforehand. I know some have been to Vegas or Chuckwalla out of state, but this is an opportunity to go race at an old school world class track that has character and wasn’t designed on a computer screen. Simply it’s a track with attitude, and for us, a once in a lifetime experience. It will not interfere with the MRA event, and is the weekend following the PP hillclimb.

I’m getting close to wrapping it up with racing in the next few years, and figured I’d really like to experience a bit of everything at other tracks throughout the US on top of the kick ass MRA. Hopefully there are a couple others who would like to join us for RA. One thing I do want to warn for, if you are considering wanting to go, do not say you are committed, and then back out. Please only commit if you are all in. I dealt with this before when a group of 11 were headed to Laguna, turned into a group of 4 the weekend before, and the day we left the other two flew out. It makes it hard and very expensive on those who do commit.

So here is what we have planned for the event. I am planning on taking off the 1st or 2nd for RA, and Brian Moore may be headed out early the 3rd with his toyhauler. These exact dates may change but I would like to relax and sleep well the day before the weekend. We will have your bikes there in plenty of time to hit the Friday trackday, and depending on Thursday I will have pits setup on Thursday, since I believe there is a Thursday trackday as well. Bikes and gear will never go unattended. I will be driving out with my wife, couple of .45s, and a killer German Shepard fluff-ball of a dog, but unfortunately do not have an extra seats. However if someone wants to switch up with a RELIABLE truck with a king cab and goose capability truck, then this may change, but as of now we have not even considered it. Brian will have a 4 door, mine is a standard cab that is spoken for. After the event, we will head out and do our best of making it home in a straight shot depending on the end of the day. Either way, if we stop on the road, we will sleep in the trailer with the killer fluffball on guard.

Regarding bike and gear pickup, I will not be driving around the state to do so. We can do this at a central location, or bring it over to my place. I’d like to load the trailer at once, and not over a ton of days, simply due to liability of others prized possessions. Motorcycle stand/chuck will not be provided in trailer… FYI you gotta pull yours out of your trailer before hand. I may have a spare r1 strapless stand if I decide against a second bike.

If anyone else wants to drive out you are more than welcome to join us, simply trying to make it more cost efficient for all. Go figure diesel for 2200 miles round trip towing a trailer, it will likely cost more than the entire race weekend.

All this being said, this is using our vacation time this year. So we are going no matter what. Hope you can join.

1. You can buy a license outright and be a member for the year. I believe this is $150. You can wait until June when the licenses are prorated to $90. You will still be a member and can attend any CCS event. You can buy a single event license for $50 but it is only available at the track when we get there.

2. 2014 Entry fees…http://www.ccsracing.us/faq/classfaqs.html
    2014 ENTRY FEES * PRE
    ENTRY
    CCS 1st entry $80 $85
    CCS 2nd & Add'l $55 $60
    ASRA $95 $100
    Team Challenge $175 $200
    USGPRU $95 $100
    Practice** $125 $150

3. Race Registration is similar to ours. Now the cool part for us is event gridding goes by registration date, not points structure. So for us out of towners this is bad ass, and am happy we do not do our this way. For all I know if you crack open your computer on opening second of registration day, then you may end up on pole. I may be incorrect but this has been resonated by fellow CCS members. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

4. Friday practice will be ran through sportbike trackdays…$250 for theday

5. Facebook event page https://www.facebook.com/events/5360...nt_mall_reply\

6. If racing you will have to rent a special CCS transponder for the weekend…yes I know its ridiculous: http://www.ccsracing.us/timingandscoring.html
    Last edited by NossLou; February 17th, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    So, since I don't qualify for Nik's cargo trip, I'll be driving out to RA for this even with a friend of mine. This year will be my 5th at Road America and I can't imagine missing this race. You can get tons of tracktime at VERY fast track that has killer good facilities.

Anyway, just a couple points. ASRA uses Westhold timing units, so don't worry about charging your Ambit. You can rent them from ASRA for the weekend, but bring velcro & duct tape, and if you have a small bike, stronger springs to hold those oversized chunks up (j/k). Here's where you can find more -- http://www.ccsracing.us/timingandscoring.html

If you're into music and drinking, SummerFest goes on that same weekend in Milwaulkee (http://www.summerfest.com/). They usually have great music there and they often have country, too.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer View Post
    So, since I don't qualify for Nik's cargo trip, I'll be driving out to RA for this even with a friend of mine. This year will be my 5th at Road America and I can't imagine missing this race. You can get tons of tracktime at VERY fast track that has killer good facilities.

Anyway, just a couple points. ASRA uses Westhold timing units, so don't worry about charging your Ambit. You can rent them from ASRA for the weekend, but bring velcro & duct tape, and if you have a small bike, stronger springs to hold those oversized chunks up (j/k). Here's where you can find more -- http://www.ccsracing.us/timingandscoring.html

If you're into music and drinking, SummerFest goes on that same weekend in Milwaulkee (http://www.summerfest.com/). They usually have great music there and they often have country, too.
    Jim,

Why don't you qualify? There aren't qualifications dude! If I wrote something that comes off like that sorry, I need to delete it. Either way it will be fun to see you out there! Looking forward to it. Maybe you'll be able to show us the ropes a bit!

Thanks for the heads up on the festival

You still in for Topeka?
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Just a novice but I'm going to try and swing this. This will be my second year racing with the club and I would love to tag along!

I know you only have so many seats at this point, but do you have any soft deadlines? I think it would help to know roughly when we need to commit.

Thanks for extending the invite!

Senior Member Expert
    Why the hell this event falls every year on the time that I take my kids all the way cross country to summer camp for a month I'll only guess but since I need to try and make up for the last time racing at RA (1999) and spectacularly blowing up my engine while heading up the hill towards start/finish, I'm going to try and make it this year. If I do I'll probably travel with the Bruce Lind traveling circus so transportation will be taken care of but Nic's offer sounds enticing and hope he gets a full crew to take advantage as it also sounds like a great time.
    First though I've got to see if I can actually ride/race which happens March 7-9 at Roebling Road Raceway outside Savannah, GA then I'll start making plans.
    To all who are contemplating this just do it as RA needs to be on your bucket lists it's a killer track but don't mind the humidity it'll pass once you hit a buck forty!

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by NossLou View Post
    Why don't you qualify? There aren't qualifications dude!
    I'm just giving you crap - you asked for trustworthy MRA members ..
    Quote Originally Posted by NossLou
    You still in for Topeka?
    I think so. There are lots of life changes for me in the next few months, but I really want to make this one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Why the hell this event falls every year on the time that I take my kids all the way cross country to summer camp for a month

Jon, it's always on July 4th weekend. I'm sure there are summer camps in Wisconsin!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by millercommaluke View Post
    Just a novice but I'm going to try and swing this. This will be my second year racing with the club and I would love to tag along!

I know you only have so many seats at this point, but do you have any soft deadlines? I think it would help to know roughly when we need to commit.

Thanks for extending the invite!
    Like I mentioned, it doesn't matter if you are Nicky Hayden or a first year guy, be more than happy to have as many as we can get out there. I'd get in contact with Brian if you are looking for a ride. He may have a seat or two, but my standard cab is spoken for. Regarding soft deadlines, we really don't have any at the moment and this is something we are going to discuss soon. I guess if anything we might set a per bike cost based upon a full trailer and anything helps at that point if we don't completely fill up. Will have extra room for gear and crap then too...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Why the hell this event falls every year on the time that I take my kids all the way cross country to summer camp for a month I'll only guess but since I need to try and make up for the last time racing at RA (1999) and spectacularly blowing up my engine while heading up the hill towards start/finish, I'm going to try and make it this year. If I do I'll probably travel with the Bruce Lind traveling circus so transportation will be taken care of but Nic's offer sounds enticing and hope he gets a full crew to take advantage as it also sounds like a great time.
    First though I've got to see if I can actually ride/race which happens March 7-9 at Roebling Road Raceway outside Savannah, GA then I'll start making plans.
    To all who are contemplating this just do it as RA needs to be on your bucket lists it's a killer track but don't mind the humidity it'll pass once you hit a buck forty!
    Jon! You and all your excuses... I'll see your ass out there...

Sounds like you, Moham, and Brewer will all be towing their own stuff out!
    Last edited by NossLou; February 18th, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    I'm just giving you crap - you asked for trustworthy MRA members ..

I think so. There are lots of life changes for me in the next few months, but I really want to make this one as well.

Jon, it's always on July 4th weekend. I'm sure there are summer camps in Wisconsin!
    Coolio, seems like I'll be seeing a lot of you this year ;-)
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Coolio, seems like I'll be seeing a lot of you this year
    I sure hope it's in the pits and not just when you're lapping me. Oh, and I have a tentative appointment with your mother-in-law & her boss toward the end of this year.
    Last edited by Jim 'smooth' Brewer; February 18th, 2014 at 05:48 PM.

Senior Member Expert
    I sure hope it's in the pits and not just when you're lapping me. Oh, and I have a tentative appointment with your mother-in-law & her boss toward the end of this year.
    Ha absolutely not the case! Took me a second, but at first I thought you were cracking a joke about an "appointment" with her How is the chicken wing feeling?
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Actually Jim it was for years in April.....talking about freezing. Winter in Wi hadn't really let go. Regardless, as the kids have visitation with their motther so again I'm hanging out for that and then I fly to GA on the sixth. These are the sacrafices we make for having kids and a crazy x wife

Senior Member Expert
    FYI Topeka has been cancelled. FAWK!
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Well the good news is we are getting few more to verbally commit. Looking forward to this. At some point a month or so in advance, we are going to set a soft deadline of your in or you are out. I have a friend that may be joining as well to go watch. If his bed height is not to hi for my goose on my trailer. We may have 3 more additional passenger seats available since he would like to drive his C5500 Kodiak that is much more comfortable. None of this is confirmed though, he did donate 4 chocks, I may build a few mobile 3 bike frames with them over the spring. Either way it was a nice gesture!

photo.jpg

Edit: I will also include that I will have my entire garage worth of tools in the trailer for the trip since we have moved and they will be staying in the trailer for 6 or so months till we move to our new place. We will have everything you will need to do whatever repair you can imagine....except fix a Triumph :-)
    Last edited by NossLou; March 26th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

except fix a Triumph
    That is fucked up.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

photo.jpgexcept fix a Triumph

Well I guess that means I'm out, lol.

I got dibs on a seat if there are any for the drive

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    Might take the bus out to this party...
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Senior Member Expert
    Link to get registered for the race: http://ccsracing.us/.../entry/2014%20pre-entry%20ccs.pdf

Link to get registered for the track day: http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/

Cant make this much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by sheispoison View Post
    That is fucked up.
    Come on Carl you know its true

Quote Originally Posted by TD675 View Post
    Well I guess that means I'm out, lol.

I got dibs on a seat if there are any for the drive
    I only said it to give you and Brian a hard time. I will know more about the Kodiak and if it will actually happen. But you got a seat if you are willing to leave as early as us... I know that might make it unfeasible for others

Quote Originally Posted by aspenbum View Post
    Might take the bus out to this party...
    You guys need to take the bus for a test drive before it tries to make it all the way for this party :-) Almost finished up with it?
    Last edited by NossLou; March 27th, 2014 at 07:53 AM.
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    That would work fine for me, since the only bikes I ever work on during the race weekends are Yamaha's and Kawasaki's I'm still trying to make the trip as well. It's barely starting to look remotely doable now......
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Member Amateur
    Okay... the time is approaching for people to commit... myself included.. Being in the military, getting time off isn't always the easiest... Let's talk numbers..

Let’s say that Nik’s trailer can hold 8 bikes and my toyhauler can hold 3 and we could put 2 in the back of my truck..

Round trip is 2300 miles.. lets say we can each average 10mpg which is reasonable at 65mph. That is $920 per truck. If we pack 8 into Nik’s trailer that is only $115 each bike. Here is the problem.. Nik has a 2 seat truck but could possibly take a friends truck that could seat 5… that leaves 3 people with no ride out and oh by the way, I think Nik wants to leave on Tuesday in time to make it for both the Thursday and Friday trackday.

Now let’s say we have 10 people that want to go.. that justifies two trucks, doubles the cost of fuel to $1840 and now it costs $184 per person for fuel. The bonus is that I can seat 5 in my truck and I can sleep 6 or 7 in the toy hauler.

This is what I propose, being open and honest.. Flat rate of $200 per person. If the costs are significantly less we’ll get some money back to you, but the drivers keep the excess to cover their wear and tear on their truck..

Also, we need a commitment by Wed June 4th of your full $200 of bike travel costs. This is non-refundable. As for getting yourself there, we don’t know yet because we don’t know how many trucks are going and how many people are going and how many seats are available.

Also, I just checked with STT about availability for Friday’s trackday. It lists only novice and intermediate.. I don’t know if that means that expert is sold out or they are just doing two groups.

So who is ready to commit?

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmoore View Post
    Also, I just checked with STT about availability for Friday’s trackday. It lists only novice and intermediate.. I don’t know if that means that expert is sold out or they are just doing two groups.
    If you don't have an account with STT already, it will only list those two options. In order to sign up for the Advanced session, you need to give them proof of experience - meaning a copy of your current race license. Just register with STT on the website and it'll guide you through the process.

Member Novice
    I plan to head up to R/A and make it a family weekend too. Bringing the kids and renting a little house in town by the lake.
    Will be pulling my own toy hauler and bikes (GSXR-1K and Duc848) so just following this tread to keep up with events and see who's all going so I can meet them at the next MRA round first.

I can do 2 of the 4 possible track/race days so I'm thinking Fri track and race Sat. What do ya think?
    MRA#799
    2008 GSXR 1000
    2008 Ducati 848
    2009 Yamaha R1 - Sold but not forgotten

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
    I can do 2 of the 4 possible track/race days so I'm thinking Fri track and race Sat. What do ya think?
    I'm planning on doing the full monty .. STT Thurs & Fri, CCS double header Sat & Sun.
    Last edited by Jim 'smooth' Brewer; June 7th, 2014 at 07:19 PM.

Member Amateur
    I will probably tag along for this as well. I'll be driving my RV/Fun Mover so I could always take a bike or two as well.

I'll talk to you at the next race.

Evel

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmoore View Post
    Okay... the time is approaching for people to commit... myself included.. Being in the military, getting time off isn't always the easiest... Let's talk numbers..

Let’s say that Nik’s trailer can hold 8 bikes and my toyhauler can hold 3 and we could put 2 in the back of my truck..

Round trip is 2300 miles.. lets say we can each average 10mpg which is reasonable at 65mph. That is $920 per truck. If we pack 8 into Nik’s trailer that is only $115 each bike. Here is the problem.. Nik has a 2 seat truck but could possibly take a friends truck that could seat 5… that leaves 3 people with no ride out and oh by the way, I think Nik wants to leave on Tuesday in time to make it for both the Thursday and Friday trackday.

Now let’s say we have 10 people that want to go.. that justifies two trucks, doubles the cost of fuel to $1840 and now it costs $184 per person for fuel. The bonus is that I can seat 5 in my truck and I can sleep 6 or 7 in the toy hauler.

This is what I propose, being open and honest.. Flat rate of $200 per person. If the costs are significantly less we’ll get some money back to you, but the drivers keep the excess to cover their wear and tear on their truck..

Also, we need a commitment by Wed June 4th of your full $200 of bike travel costs. This is non-refundable. As for getting yourself there, we don’t know yet because we don’t know how many trucks are going and how many people are going and how many seats are available.

So who is ready to commit?

For those who are interested, lets all get in touch first off. I'm curious on how many are even going to end up going. I can't even see the reason for two rigs right now. As of now I only know of a few but am not sure if they are even committed. Right now I'm planning on going by myself if everyone drops out, it's not going to make or break our trip if none or a hundred want to go. Been preparing this trip for a long time.

I agree with Brian that we need a soft deadline to commit, none of this crap the week before and you are still undecided, however if you brake your hip or smash your face at round 2 or 3 I fully think the deposit on a trailer spot is refundable. Its just the role of the dice with these trips. I need to know a number so I can get my trailer, or Brians trailer set up appropriately, I can't do this all the night before and cardiac arrest. Also, I may have mentioned this before, but The easiest way to load all this gear and bikes, would be at one location, and tentatively I'd prefer that to be a secure location in monument you should have no worries about leaving your stuff there for one night,.

I will have enough tools and what not for everyone but we can def put some boxes in the truck bed too if need be.

My friend Jeremy has offered up his bitchn' 5500 4 door sleeper cab to pull the trailer out. This opens up a few seats for those who may want to go for the ride, however I know some of you can't leave work that early on. Worse comes to worse I take my truck since its goose hitch equipped too, and if my wife decides to bail we can sausage 3 dudes up front, or 5 maybe 6 in total in the 5500

I however would like to do the full monty as well with Thursday/Friday Practice and Race Saturday Sunday. My wife wants to enjoy the trip too so we are going to take our time and I'm not driving 20 hrs straight and getting 3 hours of sleep and then attempt to race a fast technical track I have never been on without practice. She is still contemplating on going or not since it will be all about me that weekend, but I would like her to go.

I will do everything in my power to accommodate everyone's needs, but please help out in planning this too. Loading the trailer sure would be nice to have a couple extra hands. I can get your gear out there and am more than happy to provide a bad ass group pit spot, but at the end of the day I want everyone to get along, feel like they are being treated fair with the cost of hauling it all out there, and not have to deal with any drama, I don't handle drama to well.

Hope this helps a bit...
    Last edited by NossLou; May 21st, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
    I plan to head up to R/A and make it a family weekend too. Bringing the kids and renting a little house in town by the lake.
    Will be pulling my own toy hauler and bikes (GSXR-1K and Duc84 so just following this tread to keep up with events and see who's all going so I can meet them at the next MRA round first.

Looking forward to seeing you out there!!!!!!
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast