Thread: Competitive bike

Junior Member Novice

Competitive bike

2014 will be my first season with the MRA, first season racing in general, I plan on starting out with the super street class. I've been looking at 06-08 gsxr600s and 06-08 R6. I know it comes down to the rider but I want a bike I can keep for a few seasons and will still be competitive with the newer bikes as I progress into the novice and one day amateur classes. Thanks!

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Standup View Post
    2014 will be my first season with the MRA, first season racing in general, I plan on starting out with the super street class. I've been looking at 06-08 gsxr600s and 06-08 R6. I know it comes down to the rider but I want a bike I can keep for a few seasons and will still be competitive with the newer bikes as I progress into the novice and one day amateur classes. Thanks!
    Both of those bikes would be great choices for you to start out on. We are looking forward to you coming out and racing the Super Street class this season.
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to to post them here in the forum or contact the MRA's New Rider Director, Jeff Brown. His info is located on our Contact Page - http://mra-racing.org/contact-the-mra/
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Agree 100% with Jim.

Sit on both and see which one feels better.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    I highly recommend a Triumph. Wait did I just say that. That felt wierd, lol. Welcome to the club! You will have a lot of options with the Suzuki and Yamaha bikes you are looking at. I would recommend buying a race bike that is already built if you would like the chance of saving some dough, not having to buy all brand new racing parts for your bike when you fall in love racing superstreet.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Standup View Post
    Looking forward to you coming out and joining us. To be honest both of those bikes are very competitive machines. You should make your choice by what fits you best, and what attributes you are looking for out of that machine. That being said I am biased to an r6, they really have not changed for 7 years now, parts are available and interchangeable. Yes the throttle boddies are a bit different, same with the airbox and ECU on the newer ones, but for the most part they are good ebay hard mechanical parts bikes. Lots of availability out there. I know some 06-08 kawis and r6s have been winning the championship in SS and SB throughout the past years, so i think that speaks for itself, and yes a Suzuki is just as good if not better in certain aspects. I just have been a Yamaha fan since I stepped over a seat of a bike. Best of luck yto you choosing a bike and looking forward to seeing you out there this year!
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)