Thread: Inputs for the 2014 Rulebook

Mohammer Time! Expert

Inputs for the 2014 Rulebook

This year the Annual Rule Change Meeting will be at the Twin Peaks Restaurant (8840 E Arapahoe Rd, Centennial, CO) on Saturday November 2nd at 2pm. We will be in their private banquet room.

The rule change meeting is open to all MRA members and will be held to discuss the proposed 2014 rule changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on the changes that should be presented to the MRA board for approval. I would like to have finalized rule changes for the 2014 season in place before the end of the year.

Attendance at the meeting is NOT mandatory in order to give input or vote on topics - however ONLY CURRENT MEMBERS may participate in the discussion or vote. In lieu of attending, you can also provide your input in writing to ANY Board member prior to the meeting and it will be presented on your behalf during the relevant discussion - OR - you may designate someone who "is" attending as your proxy and they will vote on any/all topics on your behalf. If you are choosing someone as your proxy, please provide them with something written (even an e-mail is fine) for them to present to the moderator at the meeting.

In addition to the rule changes we will be discussing number plates, practice groups, and the number of laps run at PPIR.

Thanks,
    Shannon

Rule change suggestion summary:

1. Allow aftermarket shock linkage in SS
    2. Allow aftermarket tensioner in SS
    3. Allow 636 in MWSS
    4. No leather accessories
    5. Third call and missing the grid
    6. Production cup changes (airbox shock tires rains etc..)
    7. Production cup removal of passenger rear sets
    8. 850cc twins in STGTU
    9. Multicolored checkered flags on the cool down lap
    10. Formula 40 GTU and GTO plus ROR eligibility
    11. Add Ducati 899 to thunderbike
    12. Brake rotor change in the production cup
    13. Split RORO and RORU
    14. Novice hour requirements
    15. Lap time requirements for ROR
    16. Eliminate meatball flag
    17. Quiet hours

Listed below are the rule change suggestions, as drafted by the original author.

In the spirit of Pete Tabor's controversial rule change requests:

2.2 Supersport classes
    2.2.2 Class Equipment Requirements
    C. The following items may be replaced by parts of unrestricted origin
    h. Rear shocks (linkage must remain stock)

Proposed:

2.2 Supersport classes
    C. The following items may be replaced by parts of unrestricted origin
    h. Rear shocks and shock linkage

2.2.2.F.c. Existing Rule:
    2.2. Supersport Classes
    F. "Engine Modifications"
    c. Cam timing may be altered by modifying or replacing sprockets, substituting adjustable sprockets, or other means such that the original camshaft, including lift, duration, profile and weight are not altered.

2.2.2.F.c. Propposed Rule Change/Addition:
    2.2 Supersport Classes
    F. "Engine Modifications"
    c. Cam timing may be altered by modifying or replacing sprockets, substituting adjustable sprockets, or other means such that the original camshaft, including lift, duration, profile and weight are not altered. Camshaft timing is to remain fixed while engine is operating, unless originally equipped with variable cam/valve timing. A camshaft chain tensioner of stock or aftermarket origin may be installed.

Existing Rule
    2.2 Supersport Classes
    2.2.3 Class Displacement and Configuration Limits
    A. Middleweight Supersport
    --Up to 600cc four cylinder

Proposed Rule
    2.2 Supersport Classes
    2.2.3 Class Displacement and Configuration Limits
    A. Middleweight Supersport
    --Up to 636cc four cylinder

Proposed Rule - New Rule
    10.L - The use of anything over your leathers and helmet prohibited. Such and Tu-tu's, furry arm bands and Mohawks. Exception to the rule is jackets and or rain gear.

Not sure about this....there is no rule that pertains to this as it is procedural.

Proposal/New rule: When rider(s) miss third call and start from pre grid for a 2 class race, they are to be released at the end of their class/group. NOT at the end of the entire grid. Case in point, MWEND/LWEND rider is in MW and starts at pregrid. Said rider(s) will be released as the last rider in MW passes whatever plane/line/corner that would effect a normal release as it is set up now. Instead of waiting for LW to pass. It is with regard to safety that said rider(s) are allowed to be at the back of thier respective group without interfering with the slower group they would be merging into.

The affected rider(s) are still penalised by being at the back of their respective grid (same as a single class race) and in front of the slower group thus not causing issue at the start of a race where the group is bunched up tightly.

2.10 Production Cup Classes
    C. The stock airbox, air box cover, air filter and intake snorkel must remain in place and connected as they came from the factory. The air box drains may be sealed for fluid retention. No other modifications of the airbox, air filter or intake snorkel is permitted.

New Rule
    C. The stock airbox, air box cover, and intake snorkel must remain in place and connected as they came from the factory. The stock air filter may be replaced with an OEM style replacement. The air box drains may be sealed for fluid retention.

I. Suspension may be modified with different springs, valves and oil. The stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained and unmodified.

New Rule
    I. Suspension may be modified with different springs, valves and oil. The stock rear shock may be changed or modified but must remain the same type as original.

N. Tires must be DOT rated tires only.

New Rule
    N. Tires may be replaced with tires of unlimited origin. Rain tires may be used if a race is declared to be a wet race.

Production Cup Rule

new Rule

Passenger footpegs and brackets may be removed, and may be cut off at the subframe or mount point if they are not able to be unbolted.

I would like to propose the following change to the Supertwins GTU class. Section 4.2.1 item 3
    As it currently reads:
    SuperTwins GTU
    • Up to 750 cc two cylinder, four-stroke (excluding Ducati 749R)
    • Up to 250cc two-stroke
    • Up to 995cc two cylinder, four-stroke, two valves per cylinder, air-cooled
    • Unlimited displacement single cylinder, four-stroke

I propose the rule read:

SuperTwins GTU
    • Up to 850 cc two cylinder, four-stroke
    • Up to 250cc two-stroke
    • Up to 995cc two cylinder, four-stroke, two valves per cylinder, air-cooled
    • Unlimited displacement single cylinder, four-stroke

Multicolored checkered that corner workers can wave at racers during the cool down lap at the end of race, make it more cool in a congratulatory sense and style. Just a suggestion, be kind of cool.

Formula 40 current rules;
    • Unlimited displacement and origin
    • Racer must be 40 years of age or older on the day of the event
    • Experts who race RoR and are a MRA top 10 plate holder from the previous
    season are ineligible to race Formula 40 that season (see section 4.2 C).

Proposed:
    Create two Formula 40 classes to be run at the same time, similar to how we run the different endurance classes at the same time:
    Formula 40 GTU and Formula 40 GTO.

eliminate any restrictions on ROR racers entering Formula 40 to make it open to any racer 40 or older. amateur class and superbike rules apply.

Add the new Ducati 899 to Thunderbike

An add in for the production cup changes:

Brake rotors may be replaced with aftermarket products of OEM material, steel, or iron but must have the same outside diameter as the OEM part. Brake lines and pads may be of any origin.

Well I wasn’t originally going to suggest it since I did not see much support for it when asking around, but here it goes. Not sure what section this technically applies to for ROR, and may be considered more of a schedule change, but I would like to see RORO and RORU split into two different races instead of a combined class. Yeah I know it’s a crazy idea. I personally think it would generate more participation in both classes. Those who currently run in O would also have the option of running a 600 in U as well. (I would race in both if I had the option) I personally think it would simply generate more participation. I know this creates a nightmare for overall plate number points and what not, and that’s why it seems to lack support, but I figured I’d bring it up. I could care less about a #1 plate at the end of the year, but that is me and I know a lot of others do care.

Each class would carry the additional ROR fee on top of the other races, which would apply to the overall purse for each class. I also think 1st place purse amount should cover the set of tires and tank of race fuel. Being our premier class bumping up the purse a couple hundred bucks may generate more incentive and competition within the class.

I have heard the argument multiple times that bumping the purse would cause out of town money chasers to start showing up. That being said, good I hope it does! The more fast guys to compete with is a good thing instead of the same crew year after year. Also, I highly doubt it really generate significant interest going from $300 to say $500(just for example) for first place, the bump hardly covers diesel to travel a long distance. I know the extra say 1400$ x 2 classes for the purse bump would come out of the clubs additional funds generated over the year, but say you pick up 4 or 5 racers for each class it pays for itself. I know there is a bunch of “in between the lines info” I may be missing, I just wanted to see if there is any support in the matter.

Not to come off as whining, but it sure would be sweet to run the big bikes against the big bikes and the 600’s against the 600’s. It would eliminate the pain of getting your doors blown off on the straights and then freight training around the corners behind the big bikes. I know the correct answer to this issue is to get faster, and clean the sand out, but for those who have been out there on a 600 I think you know what I’m talking about… I just think it would make for two ridiculously competitive classes, and may generate more participation. That is all…

Novice Service Hour Requirements:

In recent years we've had a number of Novice racers finish inside of the top 10, but that may not be ready to graduate to the expert classes or status. As such I propose the following rule change:

Current Rule:
    Section 4.1

A. In order to qualify for end of season points and standings, Novice racers must complete 4 hours of community service to the club (see Sections 4.6.D-H.)

Proposed Change:
    Section 4.1

A. In order to qualify for end of season points and standings, First Season Novice racers must complete 4 hours of community service to the club (see Sections 4.6.D-H.)

Rule book section 4.3D

For safety purposes suggest to change the wording from it is recommended to it is required that riders must have lap times at 109% of current class lap record. (Currently the rule states recommend at 115%)

Just for context on the long HPR course if we use a 1:45.1 lap record then at 115% the cutoff would be roughly a 2:00.75
    For 109% it would roughly be at 1:54.45

If the 109% seems to strict, then just enforcing the 115% would be my recommendation.

If a racers receives a meat ball flag he would be docked x amount of seconds, equal to a stop and go ride through, and that time will be added to his overall race time. This would eliminate the need for a stop and go penalty and keep the hot lane safer and eliminate the need for a racer to exit and enter a hot race track making for safer race day. The AMA is now using this procedure.

I submitted this rule last year and I will try again this year. Some racers are at the track to do their best, "group A" and getting some sleep is helpful. While some racers are there to party and watch their soap operas on TV, and ride pit bikes, group "b".That is fine as long as is does not affect group "a". Being considerate and respectful of your fellow racer is something I thought the club encourages. Maybe we should poll the racers and get their opinion?

Senior Member Expert
    Amen to the proposed change to ROR and again making it again a GTU and GTO format but I doubt In a 100 years that the board's going to accept a proposal that takes $$ from the clubs profits. I'm am pretty damn sure though that at this point I can't count on one hand how many times since I began racing that the club's changed the format of ROR

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Jon I think it is matter of filling the grids. Not dollars. If you can make the argument that both grids will fill?????????? Come and talk it up!
    Last edited by TRK; January 20th, 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Senior Member Amateur
    shannon, make a small correction in the f40 rule proposal above because i intended it to stay a GP class, not superbike. that was discussed in the f40 thread.

Senior Member Expert
    As the rule meetings taken place at Twin peaks >> at least there's more incentive to show up this year. Question: Can I get one of there waitresses to sit on my lap and take notes, kind of a personal assistant type role I guess you'd say. I'm going to call ahead and have to check on that for sure 8)

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    ROR O and U were combined due to small grids and crappy purses. We continued to score them separately so that both O & U would still be eligible for ancillary contingency like tire money, etc - and we used a combined format to honor the fastest of the fastest in our overall - so that even a guy on a 600 could be eligible for a top 10.

Somebody explain to me what's wrong with the current format? You want smaller grids, smaller purses, and possibly no ancillary contingency?? Um, ok. I'll vote against it though.

They are revenue neutral classes now, all the money we take in we pay back out as purse money - so that has no bearing.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Mohammer Time! Expert
    The feedback I have received is guys feel they race in a premier class that isn't really treated as a premier class. Guys are tired of racing and out qualifying 1000cc motorcycles only to be held up an entire race as they fly by.

As the RORO class gets more talented and deeper as the economy comes around, we will see less and less 600 riders get a number plate (maybe one or two this year?). And the final payout matters less and less to a 600 rider the further back they go.

Combining the grids has absolutely nothing to do with contingency pay out and a lot of guys think it hurts the 600 racers because many guys don't race the class because of the aforementioned thoughts. MWSB had 20 plus riders round one RORU had 12. I will the class no matter what....

Senior Member Expert
    I've gotta pretty good idea how we could get the grid to grow as well the purse for us lowly RoR GTU riders if Shannon you could give me a shout maybe we could talk about it.Something we did at Miller in a dwindling class out there
    Give me a shout tomorrow @.720-841-6020

Senior Member Expert
    I've gotta pretty good idea how we could get the grid to grow as well the purse for us lowly RoR GTU riders if Shannon you could give me a shout maybe we could talk about it.Something we did at Miller in a dwindling class out there
    Give me a shout tomorrow @.720-841-6020

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I don't think it is dwindling, but both grids need to be larger to stand on their own. I will give ya a shout on Monday.

Senior Member Amateur
    I will proxy vote from Montana to include the 850cc Twins in Super Twins GTU class!
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com