Thread: Meat Ball Penalty

Member Amateur

Meat Ball Penalty

If a racers receives a meat ball flag he would be docked x amount of seconds, equal to a stop and go ride through, and that time will be added to his overall race time. This would eliminate the need for a stop and go penalty and keep the hot lane safer and eliminate the need for a racer to exit and enter a hot race track making for safer race day. The AMA is now using this procedure.

Ricky Orlando

Senior Member Amateur
    Like that.
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    I like the idea of Safety... However..... How does one "predict" how many seconds it takes a person to serve a "Stop and go" penalty?.... 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    I like the idea of Safety... However..... How does one "predict" how many seconds it takes a person to serve a "Stop and go" penalty?.... 8)
    No need, just pick a reasonable number. There's really no need for it to have any relation to the actual time it takes to make a stop and go.

I say 30 seconds.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    I was trying to get Ricky fired up.... but Ricky is such a good sport he just meat balls himself by taking the "long route" ... :shock:
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    I was trying to get Ricky fired up.... but Ricky is such a good sport he just meat balls himself by taking the "long route" ... :shock:
    Sorry Ricky.... I had to do it 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Expert
    As a competitor I don't really like this solution as it creates a "theoretical" finish. One of the reasons I like racing motorcycles is that it's not "theoretical" in any way. We grid up, the light goes off and the first one to the finish line wins. Furthermore, if we have a timing incident, like we did at Pueblo a couple of years back, this type of penalty is much harder to administer fairly. We had a small army of scorekeepers on the sidelines, I was one of them. In the larger races we had a hard enough time assuring that we got the finishing order right, much less putting a stopwatch on one or more competitors who may have incurred a penalty.

An incident like this with a timing penalty, you could say: "If the timing system fails we will revert to a standard stop and go penalty" but now you are changing the rules on penalties in the middle of a race weekend. This sets up potential confusion for the officials and the competitors alike.

The hot pit lane is part of the racetrack. If the club needs to be more strict about enforcing the crossover at HPR so that competitors feel safer executing a stop and go, then that is what we should do. I've had at least one penalty at each of the racetracks we currently race at and have never felt like executing the penalty presented a safety hazard. As the competitor merging back onto track, it is my responsibility to merge in safely. When I saw the initial track design at HPR I thought that merge was going to be dicey, but it works really well in practice.

My .02
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    The one thing I like about the time penalty in place of a stop & go is that it's reversible. If someone gets a meatball for jumping the start and there's video evidence they didn't jump - then they can protest and retain their actual finish position. If they have to serve a stop & go then there's no practical way to know where they would have finished in the event of a successful protest.

g

In favor 8)
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    let's say somebody get the meatball for a start and you know for a fact and have video evidence that you did not jump start, would it be possible to protest that meatball pending evidence verification?
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Quote Originally Posted by aspenbum
    let's say somebody get the meatball for a start and you know for a fact and have video evidence that you did not jump start, would it be possible to protest that meatball pending evidence verification?
    if you have $25 cashish
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Senior Member Expert
    I agreee with Rybo on the theoretical finishes. If you don't feel safe on part of the racetrack then don't go on the racetrack (spectator or competitor). Also don't meatball!
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports