Thread: bogging down

Senior Member Amateur

bogging down

I'm having a problem with my 09 ZX6 and looking for ideas. When I get on the throttle hard it falls on its face. Going slow the rpm's come up ok. I've cleaned the fuel tank/lines and put a new pump on it today. It does the same thing. Plugs look fine, idles fine too. Ran great last season and it started doing this this year. Any arm-chair ballpark ideas?

thanks,

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

I don't know much about fuel injection but have you checked the fuel pump?
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Amateur
    Put a new one in today. No change.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Amateur
    It's rare, but it is possible for Power Commanders to lose a tune. It could also be a bad MAF sensor, or even a bad ECU. The 09 ZX-6R also has had factory recalls on the rectifier so it's not out of the question for other electrical parts to fail. Even with the few problems that bike has had it's a great bike. I used to have one before I got my 300.
    MRA #137
    CVMA #137x

Senior Member Amateur
    Throttle position sensor?
    Are we talking about going quickly from idle to full throttle while riding? Or just revving it in neutral with a quick snap of the throttle?
    Does it run great up to 3/4 throttle but power drops off when you reach full throttle?
    Please properly diagnose your bike first, don't just throw parts at it because a "the internet" says that part always breaks.
    Put a volt meter on the battery and check voltage before you start it and while its running to see if the regulator is ok. Don't forget that it may not charge the battery until above a certain rpm (5k or so probably less with no lights)
    Adam's Sponsors: Kristie and Kevin McGuire, Chicane trackdays

How did it dyno?
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

I had a very similar problem last year and it turned out to be clogged injectors. Quick way to find out is measure the temp of each exhaust header. The worst clogged injector will have the hottest header due to a lean burn going on due to lack of fuel.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Power commander. They crap out ALL the time.
    Try and diagnose the issue, instead of throwing parts at it........save that for desperation at the race track .

Senior Member Expert
    Had a similar problem with the powercommander on the ape-

easy diagnosis - take it off the bike completely and see if the bike runs better.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David